Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1999 Mk3 Golf Cat Back Exhaust fitment issues

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1999 Golf mk3
      09-11-2019 03:54 PM #1
      Hi All,

I have a Mk3 Golf with the 2.0 ABA motor. Recently, the original center-resonator rotted out and as such, I am now on the lookout for a cat-back system. Unfortunately, I have been having a terrible time finding the correct resonator/over-the-axle section.

I have tried several Walker and Bosal OEM replacement exhausts and the fit is terrible. In all cases, the resonator box interfered with the heat-shield and e-brake cable for the driver's side rear wheel. Further, and this is where I am having a problem, the hanger for my original resonator is just in front of the resonator and on top of the inlet pipe to the resonator in the shape of a hook that is parallel to the direction of travel of the car. Most of the aftermarket exhausts show the hanger mounted in front of the resonator but underneath the inlet pipe in the shape of a straight bar that is parallel to the road and perpendicular to the direction of travel of the car.

Magnaflow lists 15670 for the Mk3 (1993-1998) and 15648 for 1999-2006 Golf so I assume that exhaust is for the mk4. I called Magnaflow and the guy told me to go see my VW dealer to help me figure out what kind of car I have! No help at all.

My Golf is awesome and it deserves a nice exhaust. It only has 83k miles on it, doesn't burn a drop of oil, runs on lowered suspension with all urethane bushings, mk4 front clip, Bonrath grille - it's cool!

I am hoping somebody knows what cat-back exhausts actually fit a 99 mk3 before I have to go get something custom made.

Frank

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '82 Rabbit 'vert, '03 BMW 325i Touring
      09-11-2019 05:27 PM #2
      Check out Techtonics Tuning for quality MK3 exhausts that fit well. Their staff is knowledgeable and has been making and selling VW parts for decades. I would advise to stay away from the base systems with the Dynomax muffler, as the mufflers don't hold up very long. We had the aluminized system with the Magnaflow muffler on my wife's 96 Jetta and it was great system. Full stainless is available if you want the longevity and plan on keeping the car. Sounds like a sweet ride!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      94 Golf
      09-11-2019 08:53 PM #3
      Don't feel bad about the walker exhausts not fitting. They essentially don't fit but have a generous lifetime warranty. Every time they rot out on my car, I spend a 1/2 day to 1 day cutting and rewelding to re-aim tubes to make it fit. Once fitted, they are as quiet as OEM. You can have a muffler ship do the fitting for you, but they only last me about 4-5 years before a hole shows up or the tubes rot out and I have to claim warranty.

I would give Ansa a try if you are looking for a quiet exhaust that fits. TT may resell Ansa systems. The TT performance SS Borla exhaust fit and quality is very good, but be warned, they drone at highway speeds (even with the optional 2nd resonator). They are great for trips an hour or less, but I pulled mine off the car because on long trips the droning was unbearable.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 Jetta VR6 (bone stock daily driver), 1982 twin screw Cabriolet, 94 Mazda B3000 4x4
      09-11-2019 10:29 PM #4
      if you want perfect fit go with a stainless Jetex system.

This (Jetex/Simons part number 26-HR):

https://www.midlandvw.co.uk/exhaust/...-back-exhaust/

i just had one installed (mine was 26-H30R for the Vento/Jetta). i think Jetex North America (Tim Hildabrand) still has one available for the Golf Mk3 (http://www.jetexna.com/buy.html).

The sound is also amazing. No drone anywhere. Think of the system as stock plus 1.5. All the good qualities of the stock exhaust but enhanced with amazing sound and about 5-6 extra whp.
      Last edited by Peter Tong; 09-11-2019 at 11:35 PM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '82 Rabbit 'vert, '03 BMW 325i Touring
      09-12-2019 05:53 AM #5
      No drone from the single resonated TT system with the Magnaflow muffler we had on my wife's Jetta. It was only slightly louder than stock, and only really noticeable when you got on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk