VWVortex.com - dam you VW plastics (Rant)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: dam you VW plastics (Rant)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta
      09-11-2019 04:41 PM #1
      flying duck.... dam you VW plastic strikes again....

doing a short drive on the Highway, a clunk noise on the driver side windows.. I turned my head to look at it, thought it was some pebbles hitting my windows...Nothing, 1/2 miles later the windows just dropped 1/2 way... ... 1/2 more miles, it dropped all the way in......

blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh F U VW plastic...

of cause it was the windows regulator clip disintegrated Both Clips. gggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr flockerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

good thing only took me 45 minutes to figure out how to take the thing out... .yes it you have to drill it out since the windows bottomed sort of...

ok rant over.... now needed to find a good windows regulator FWIW.. the clip is metal, the metal slider is plastic that was where the failure is.. I am not sure why this VW is cursed with plastic failures... Engineered to fail. My Last VW for sure.

Ok Rant really over...
      IHP is real.
      Imaginary
      Horse
      Power.
      Don't let your mangina bleed

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2010 CC 4Motion Exec Vr6, 2004 Vr6 GLI 6MT, 2004 Audi Allroad 6MT
      09-11-2019 05:24 PM #2
      So your 20+ year old plastic part failed?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

4. 09-11-2019 07:38 PM #3
      One of mine did that 1.5 years in and they did fix for free. 20 years is a good run.
      Former owner of: 1968 Bug and 1973 Bug. Current owner: 2000 Jetta 2.0 5 Speed (original owner).

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta
      09-11-2019 08:40 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VWFanatic72 View Post
      So your 20+ year old plastic part failed?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The passenger side failed within 3 years when it was new... 20+ or 3+, I wouldn't expect parts to crumble.. This is exactly the same as what the Big 3 did in the 80s... crappy cars made to fail. and I am not just talking about this plastic part... for MKIVs it's almost all plastic parts.... that is the term "Engineered to Fail" Well they have engineered me out of buying any more cars from them.... that is for sure.
      IHP is real.
      Imaginary
      Horse
      Power.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 JETTA GLI 24V VR6
      09-11-2019 11:49 PM #5
      Dogdog...much respect for you and your knowledgeable contributions here...but wtf!!

A 20 yr old plastic part put through repeated stress is going to fail(crumble)

My dub has recently been complemented on how well it seems to be holding up to new england time

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 JETTA GLI 24V VR6
      09-11-2019 11:55 PM #6
      By the way, i had my rant too....

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...rs-on-my-Jetta

9. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta
      09-12-2019 12:35 AM #7
      LOL everybody that owns a MKIV long enough rant about the VW plastics no matter how old... these failures are just abnormal... Really hope the newer ones are better... and not infested with crumble plastics. anyways it's only $60 and change no big deal, the passenger side costed me $100 on and that was from some sleaze local vw dealer didn't tell me about the TSB... ... they allegedly gave me a discount on this part lol.... it's just a RANT ..

At least I learned about fixing cars on this Jetta

Just to add... what makes the VW great for me is not their plastic or their cars , it's the community of helpful people they have here.. lots of good knowledge people willing to share their knowledge and help when I was just starting out... ...

Well this post wasn't about them... its the vw choice of plastic for certain parts that just failed.... I think windows regulator is one of them, the coolant flanges are the other... probably plenty more I don't remember at this time of the day too early coffee still hot..... .
      Last edited by dogdog; 09-12-2019 at 07:21 AM.
      IHP is real.
      Imaginary
      Horse
      Power.

Vehicles
      '19 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
      09-12-2019 10:42 AM #8
      I made the mistake of trying to open my driver window up during the winter. It was frozen in place. A few minutes later, it slammed down about half way. Scared the piss out of me. Luckily I was able to roll it up just fine.
      MK4 ('04) Jetta - Beater/Project
      8V A3 2.0t Quattro - Wife's
      MK4 GTI - ('03/1.8t/Manual/FBO) - Gone
      MK6 GTI - (FBO) - Gone