VWVortex.com - Jetta broke down, waiting for a tow truck
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta broke down, waiting for a tow truck

1. 09-11-2019 08:11 PM #1
      After work today, I drove my 2019 Jetta S Manuel with exactly 15,800 miles to my child’s daycare to pick her up, only to not be able to drive when I got back in.

A message pops up saying maximum RPM 1200, the motor runs extremely rough, the EPC and CEL is on. The motor is sluggish, and unresponsive when pressing the throttle. Basically, it won’t move very much.

I called for a tow two hours ago, they said it would be an hour, still not here.

Luckily, my wife was in the area so my baby didn’t have to sit in the hot steamy weather.

This sucks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-11-2019 08:13 PM #2
      Oh, the daycare is about 5 minutes from my work. Rereading my post might make it sound like it is 15,800 miles from my work..... but, that of course is the mileage on then Jetta.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jetta S, 2007 BMW R1200R
      09-11-2019 08:16 PM #3
      Ouch, sorry.
      Something failed. Do let us know what it was.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 09-12-2019 02:25 AM #4
      Sounds like a transmission issue,I think I saw this once before on a Facebook group

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7. Member
      Vehicles
      09-12-2019 10:29 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Cactus683 View Post
      Sounds like a transmission issue,I think I saw this once before on a Facebook group.
      The OP's car has a manual-shift gearbox. How could the gearbox have anything to do with a poorly-running motor?
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

8. 09-12-2019 02:27 PM #6
      I was waiting for the VW Roadside Assistance tow truck for over three hours last night, called a few times to make sure the two truck was still coming, which they said he was really close and should be there any minute.

I didn't get home until almost 10pm.

I was hoping that I could get a loaner from the dealership, but they told me this morning that they were out of loaners, they might have one this evening.

Luckily I have other cars to use, but this shouldn't really matter, as they should have a loaner or rental for me to use until the car is fixed.

The service guy called later to let me know that there was several faults involving the throttle and they they were going to replace it. The parts wont be in until sometime tomorrow, hopefully they can fix it before the weekend.

It is strange, I have a 1991 MR2 Turbo with the original motor, it has over 150,000 miles on it, and has never left me stranded.

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege5 with over 150,000 miles on it, and other than a dead battery, didn't leave me stranded for the first 120,000 miles, but has had a few issues since.

I bought the 2019 Jetta to replace the Protege5 because I wanted something reliable for myself, and my children, but especially my baby......

And it leaves me stranded with her with only 15,800 miles on it.

I wonder if this is just a taste of things to come?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-12-2019 09:56 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Vertical Smile View Post
      I was waiting for the VW Roadside Assistance tow truck for over three hours last night, called a few times to make sure the two truck was still coming, which they said he was really close and should be there any minute.

I didn't get home until almost 10pm.

I was hoping that I could get a loaner from the dealership, but they told me this morning that they were out of loaners, they might have one this evening.

Luckily I have other cars to use, but this shouldn't really matter, as they should have a loaner or rental for me to use until the car is fixed.

The service guy called later to let me know that there was several faults involving the throttle and they they were going to replace it. The parts wont be in until sometime tomorrow, hopefully they can fix it before the weekend.

It is strange, I have a 1991 MR2 Turbo with the original motor, it has over 150,000 miles on it, and has never left me stranded.

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege5 with over 150,000 miles on it, and other than a dead battery, didn't leave me stranded for the first 120,000 miles, but has had a few issues since.

I bought the 2019 Jetta to replace the Protege5 because I wanted something reliable for myself, and my children, but especially my baby......

And it leaves me stranded with her with only 15,800 miles on it.

I wonder if this is just a taste of things to come?
      I understand your anxiety, especially after buying the Jetta with the idea that it'd be more reliable than the Mazda.

Still, I wouldn't stress about it. VW builds a lot of vehicles, and vehicles are made of lots of parts. Some parts (very few, proportionally) fail.

I'd put it down to bad luck rather than the car having been born under a bad sign.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta S
      09-13-2019 08:09 AM #8
      Sorry the car had an issue, but it happens. You have a warranty for 75,000 miles. After that, you'll get 100 offers in the mail for an extended warranty up to 150K. Tow trucks take forever, always... I have never had a tow truck not take 2+ hours. It's life...

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta GLI DSG 35
      09-13-2019 10:39 AM #9
      yep and since most automakers share vendors it usually not just one make or model

12. 09-13-2019 01:28 PM #10
      It happens. Don't ask me about those MAF's that VW used years ago.

Until many have the same part failure, I just wouldn't worry about it.

Brand new Mazda----radiator failed.... replaced by dealer and kept driving then front brakes warped..... rough 1st 1000 miles
      Brand new Toyota---- cruise control stalked fell apart off of column and o2 sensor failed.... rough 1st 100 miles
      Brand new Ford---- speed sensor quit and eventually blew transmission that stayed in 2nd or 3rd gear at redlights and stopsigns

Brand new VW.... passenger front windows squeaks the entire way down. I will drown it in silicone spray and if it doesn't help, exercise the warranty.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      MK VI Jetta GLI
      09-15-2019 11:09 AM #11
      It sucks to have issue on a new car but at least you have warranty. Also don't forget that your new car is much much safer than the old cars you have. There is no comparison between a new Jetta and the Protégé during an accident. So don't feel bad for investing in a new car especially when you have a little kid.