VWVortex.com - Halogen to LED Headlight Swap
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Halogen to LED Headlight Swap

1. 09-11-2019 08:25 PM #1
      Hello everyone. I am new to the eGolf community but wanted to share my first mod with you. I’m sure this has been done and documented, but I searched and couldn’t narrow in on an answer.

First, 2019 eGolf SE w/DAP

Maryland resident and military so I ended at about $11.5K off MSRP at Ourisman in Bethesda (very good experience).

I did not care for the yellowish halogens, but couldn’t find a complete parts/do/don’t list so I was a little hesitant.

I also have a Ford F250 (it’s a diesel...) that I need to pull a trailer, but it’s not a reasonable commuting car. My daily commute is 2 miles round trip to the train station that drops me right at work and the big truck wasn’t always best for weekend errands.

So about the lights (hopefully the links work).

I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MY...b_b_asin_image

And these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0798...b_b_asin_title

I have Beamtechs in my 250 and they have been very good. No fan, pretty small, good light pattern. So I decided to stay with them and added the adapter (which was a bit fiddly).

I popped the low beam covers, pulled them out, unplugged the halogens and found out the covers wouldn’t fit over the headlight “wing thing.” So I figured if I break it I can fix it and popped the little wings off. Plugged in the beamtechs, used a little electric tape for good measure, popped the cap back on and everything worked perfectly.

Hopefully helpful. I’ll check this post from a computer tomorrow to make sure it all shows up and add a couple pics.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-11-2019 09:59 PM #2
      I took some pics. Late at night so they may be over exposed. I’ll take another in the AM. Also wanted to point out that the beam pattern you see in the pics isn't the actual pattern. The car was parked on a downward slope pointing the lights higher.

One more with the high beam halogen. Much more yellow. It shows best in the wood going up the stairs.

Last edited by Jeff7176; 09-12-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI SE / 2019 e-Golf SE
      09-12-2019 09:23 AM #3
      Welcome to a fellow MD resident!

Looks like we also got the car from the same dealership Did you - by any chance - follow the thread about the e-Golf on SlickDeals (https://slickdeals.net/f/13163326-21...0-13-500?v=1)?

In any case, thanks so much for the pics! I'm also not a fan of the stock headlights and wish SE also came with with LED headlights offered standard on the SEL trim. I love how my 2017 GTI with the "Lightning Package" illuminates the road and wish the e-Golf worked the same.

Currently debating whether the headlight swap (see one option here: https://www.becautoparts.com/collect...led-headlights - about $625.00 with bulbs) is worth the price or whether I should upgrade just the bulbs like you did for only a fraction of the price.

Any chance you could post the pic of how you handled all the wires and the cover?

Take care!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 09-12-2019 01:00 PM #4
      I didn’t take any pics of that. The little wing thing on the original halogen did not fit under the cover so I broke the two plastic tabs holding it on, put tape around the remaining connector lead and was able to get all the wires to fit inside the cover without much problem.

I was a little leery about breaking off the “wing” but couldn’t see another way to do it and get the cover back on.

I’m not sure if I’ll do the high beams or not. I never use them.

7. 09-13-2019 06:56 PM #5
      $625 is a pretty good bit, but you get real HIDs and the “hockey stick” slash line in the headlight. It’s not hard to pull the headlights, but it is a little time consuming.

The fiddly adapters I spoke about...well I guess one of them lost it’s hold and the light drooped down (passenger side). I tried to get it fixed but after a bit I figured I would just take out the headlight assembly so I could see what was going on. It took about an hour, could probably do it in half that now. I was able to see how the adapter made contact and got it fixed right.

So no more costs. A couple hours of my time. If I did it again from start, I would probably just pull the whole headlight assembly and change the bulbs, then reinstall. It takes more time, but it would be sure to work right every time. And still much cheaper than $625.

You need a couple torx bits, a 10 mm deep socket and a drill with the right adapters to make it go quickly.

I would still do just the bulb change only to save the $$$. Even if it needed a headlight assembly remove and replace.

8. 09-13-2019 06:58 PM #6
      First pic is the final fix.

Second pic is what it looked like with the passenger side light out of the car.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI SE / 2019 e-Golf SE
      09-13-2019 08:49 PM #7
      Thanks so much for the pics!

Got scared for the moment that even the bulb switch requires headlight removal (earlier today just for fun I just took another peak under the hood and looked the headlights and I must say there is not a lot of room to play around in there) but then read your story and understood why you did it.

On my end, I am still not quite sure which route I will take.. I may just leave it in stock form for now; see how bad it gets in the fall/winter time and then either start saving for that sweet headlight setup or pull the trigger for just the bulbs (another used here reported an install of slightly more expensive set from deAutoLED - not sure if you saw that post).

Take care!

10. 09-13-2019 08:59 PM #8
      Cool. If you want to meet up I can show how I walked through it. Now that I’ve done it, it’s easier. And I know I have the tools in my truck to do it anywhere.

Vehicles
      '06 Jetta_TDI_DSG (4 work), '06 Jetta_TDI_5spd (4 wife), '90 Corrado_G60 5spd (x2, 4 fun)
      09-14-2019 10:53 PM #9
      Nice to see none of us with e-Golfs out of that MD dealer got the plastic engine cover with the VW emblem that they used to include on the 2016 e-Golf. I thought I was missing something the first week

After reading all the comments and complaints about the headlights on the e-Golfs, I figured driving at night was going to be like my Corrado DOT lights, or my MkIV Jetta Chinese (knock off) e-codes. I can actually see with the e-Golf stock lights, and that's a great place to start!! Although admittedly, watching the videos for the adaptive headlights Europe gets, I definitely wish we got those...

12. 09-17-2019 08:27 PM #10
      After a few days of early morning driving I do think the LEDs are a big improvement. I think they should be a little more user friendly to swap, but the effort to pull the headlight is worth it IMO. Just be careful and patient. It’s not so good it’s worth a broken light housing or bumper cover.

I did adjust my lights a little bit down, but the pattern and cutoff is really clean.

13. 09-18-2019 01:43 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Szy_szka View Post
      Thanks so much for the pics!

Got scared for the moment that even the bulb switch requires headlight removal (earlier today just for fun I just took another peak under the hood and looked the headlights and I must say there is not a lot of room to play around in there) but then read your story and understood why you did it.

On my end, I am still not quite sure which route I will take.. I may just leave it in stock form for now; see how bad it gets in the fall/winter time and then either start saving for that sweet headlight setup or pull the trigger for just the bulbs (another used here reported an install of slightly more expensive set from deAutoLED - not sure if you saw that post).

Take care!
      Well, thanks for thinking of us. Our LEDs are brighter - this website does a good job reviewing:
      https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

The beamtech do not rank high and they also have passive cooling instead of a fan which will drop lumens when they become hotter.

But at the end always up to what you feel is best. Thanks

Lifetime Warranty & Support | Free Shipping within the US | LEDs Tested to work and look good in your car | Customer Service is our #1 Priority - We care what you install in your car!

14. 09-18-2019 09:19 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff7176 View Post
      I took some pics. Late at night so they may be over exposed. I’ll take another in the AM. Also wanted to point out that the beam pattern you see in the pics isn't the actual pattern. The car was parked on a downward slope pointing the lights higher.

One more with the high beam halogen. Much more yellow. It shows best in the wood going up the stairs.

Nice airstream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 09-18-2019 04:41 PM #13
      Thanks! She’s going to the beach tomorrow!