VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elon Musk Claims Tesla Model S Sets New Record At Laguna Seca

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      09-12-2019 09:11 AM #1
      https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-claim...gun-1838037694

Last week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk accepted the implicit challenge of the recently revealed 2020 Porsche Taycan by promising to send a Tesla Model S to the infamous Nürburgring, implying an attempt to beat Porsche’s claimed record lap time. Musk now claims the Model S has set a record at Laguna Seca—likely a distraction from the fact that Tesla can’t set a ‘Ring time yet.

Model S on Nürburgring next week
      — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 5, 2019

Ahead of the official reveal the Porsche Taycan last week—the German carmaker’s first-ever production electric car designed to be a performance sedan with consistent, repeatable track-lapping capability, even if its on-paper specs fall short of the enduring performance Model S—Porsche claimed that the Taycan Turbo S had set a record Nürburgring lap time of 7:42. Porsche claims it has the track record for the fastest “four door electric sports car.”

The Nürburgring is (debatably, we’d say) significant because it’s the go-to track for international automakers looking for valuable driving and tuning feedback on development prototypes, and its popularity among companies also makes it a great marketing opportunity for a good old fashioned dick measuring contest when somebody has a new performance car they want to brag about. You could argue ‘Ring records don’t really matter, and they kind of don’t; but for now it’s the target everyone likes to aim for, so it is what it is.

The problem for Tesla last week was that Musk sent out his tweet promising a Model S at the ‘Ring, but Tesla didn’t seem to go through the paperwork with ‘Ring officials to organize an exclusive time slot on the track which is required for any sort of timed record attempt, according to a German track official speaking to Road And Track:

A Nürburgring insider tells R&T that Tesla has a car leaving California today headed for the German track. When asked if Tesla could get exclusive track time, the insider said that was highly unlikely this late in the ‘Ring testing season—manufacturer track time is usually scheduled far in advance. “Tesla doesn’t have a presence there,” the source told us, “so I’m not sure if they actually know that.”

The next day, Tesla clarified that it would run the Tesla Model S during the “industry testing” sessions, which are often crowded with all sorts of assorted makes and models in various states of prototype and design phases. While these sessions are exclusive to the “industry,” namely automakers testing their cars, it means they all have to share the track with each other.

Tesla even got an offer from retired Mercedes-Benz Formula 1 champion and notable YouTube vlogger Nico Rosberg to do the driving, which would be a hoot if it actually happens:

Thanks for offering! Sure, that would be great.
      — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 7, 2019

(Rosberg was spotted at the Frankfurt Motor Show as recently as this morning, suggesting he’s not the one driving the Model S at the ‘Ring just yet.)

Because of the crowd, no official timed attempts are allowed during industry sessions, partially because there will be a bunch of sheet metal in the way, and also because it’s just transparently reckless and dangerous to encourage at-the-limit driving in such conditions.

Earlier today, Elon Musk tweeted again that the Model S had made it to the Nürburgring, but it wouldn’t yet be attempting to set a record time to beat the Porsche:

But we probably won’t try for best lap time this week, as we need to review & tune Model S thoroughly for safety on Nürburgring, especially Flugplatz section
      — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 11, 2019

That’s fair enough. It’s common for automakers looking to set a record to mess around with the software and hardware on the car to specifically adapt to the ‘Ring’s particularly rigorous and sometimes dangerous conditions.

But today’s tweet also indicates that Musk did in fact intend to beat the Porsche record when he initially tweeted about it last week, despite not having organized the appropriate circumstances with the track itself yet.

Previous attempts at getting an (unofficial) ‘Ring time in a Model S resulted in a time of right around 10 minutes, through traffic on the track, and after the car suffered a period of reduced performance due to excessive battery heating, as we reported back in 2014.

In 2015, a Model S P85D allegedly ran a lap thorugh taffic in just under 9 minutes. Since then, the Model S has gotten some significant upgrades. I’m sure others have tried, but Tesla has never officially had a go at it as a company.

I suppose to make up for this minor “delay” in beating Porsche’s ‘Ring time, Tesla threw a Model S around Laguna Seca—a California track not at all similar to the extensive German Nürburgring—claiming the four-door electric performance sedan set a track record and promising more details later this week.

Model S just set record for fastest 4 door ever at Laguna Seca, video tmrw
      — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 11, 2019

There is no official timed lap of the Porsche Taycan Turbo S around Laguna Seca yet, but it’s good to know the performance Model S is still fast, I suppose.

I’ll be waiting for that ‘Ring time, Elon. Unless the Laguna Seca record is an attempt to bring Porsche to Tesla’s home turf. We’ll see.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-12-2019 09:33 AM #2
      So Laguna Seca =/= Nurburgring. Not even close. Plus I don't think the Taycan has even been on that track yet but I'm sure Porsche will have one out relatively soon.

That said, I think it's awesome that we have a Tesla/Porsche electric competition brewing. It's about time Tesla did some testing on the Nurburgring. It'd help them a lot with the performance of the drivetrain, suspension and brakes on the Model S.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      09-12-2019 09:38 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      It's about time Tesla did some testing on the Nurburgring. It'd help them a lot with the performance of the drivetrain, suspension and brakes on the Model S.
      Why? The Model S is a road car.
      iain

5. 09-12-2019 09:53 AM #4
      More interesting was this announced the Plaid drivetrain.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      09-12-2019 10:11 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Why? The Model S is a road car.
      And the Nürburgring is a road.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      09-12-2019 10:17 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by silverlegacy View Post
      Only if they change Ludicrous mode to Plaid!

I know Laguna Seca is not the Nurburgring but you can use it as metric of the Model S vs current records.

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-12-2019 10:19 AM #7
      The "record" doesn't mean anything until they do it with a fully production-spec car.

Quote Originally Posted by bificus99 View Post
      I know Laguna Seca is not the Nurburgring but you can use it as metric of the Model S vs current records.
      You really can't.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      09-12-2019 10:24 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by silverlegacy View Post
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Vehicles
      09-12-2019 10:28 AM #9
      From CNBC:

But a spokesperson for Laguna Seca wrote in an e-mail to CNBC: “We were not officiating while the Tesla was testing on the track. Official records only happen during sanctioned events where a sanctioning body is officiating.”
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      09-12-2019 10:31 AM #10
      The only valid comparison is when Tesla runs a Model S Turbo around the Nurburgring.
      I reject geometry.

Vehicles
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      09-12-2019 10:32 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      The "record" doesn't mean anything until they do it with a fully production-spec car.

You really can't.
      At Laguna Seca vs other carmakers? I see it was an unofficial test... moot point.

Vehicles
      09-12-2019 10:34 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by bificus99 View Post
      At Laguna Seca vs other carmakers? I see it was an unofficial test... moot point.
      It's not a production-spec car, so even if Laguna Seca officiated the time, it's not a record.
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

14. Member
      Vehicles
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      09-12-2019 10:48 AM #13
      It's not a production-spec car, so even if Laguna Seca officiated the time, it's not a record.
      Like the Bugatti 300mph speed run?

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      09-12-2019 10:51 AM #14
      This explains why it was so quiet. It was at Laguna Seca.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      09-12-2019 10:53 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      This explains why it was so quiet. It was at Laguna Seca.

The Tesla equivalent of truck nuts.
      I reject geometry.

Vehicles
      09-12-2019 10:55 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Like the Bugatti 300mph speed run?
      That was a fully production-spec car apart from the roll cage and racing seat, which is standard procedure for things like that (as well as Nürburgring laps). Bugatti is making 30 of them.

I have no doubt that this Plaid Model S is going into production next year, Elon even said so. I'm just saying that until he discloses the details of the car as well as what mods this one had, as impressive as the lap is, it doesn't mean ****.
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      09-12-2019 10:55 AM #17
      That car that left California for the Ring, I wonder if they stuffed the new Tesla Roadster’s motor in there?

Vehicles
      S4, A4, R32
      09-12-2019 10:55 AM #18
      for what it's worth, a Tesla Model 3 won B Street at this years SCCA Nats.
      welcome to the layer cake

09-12-2019 11:00 AM #19
      From CNBC: (not a record)
      Yeah well, should we expect anything less from Elon Trump, er, Musk? It's honestly shocking to me the guy still has 28 million twitter followers.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW TSI, AT, Comfortline, H&R street performance coil-overs
      09-12-2019 11:01 AM #20
      I'd be curious to know how over-the-air software "updates" are policed when it comes to setting records? Give Tesla's history of such updates (or downgrades) I wouldn't put anything past them. How do you define a "production" car when so much can be changed using this kind of manipulation?

22. 09-12-2019 11:03 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      That car that left California for the Ring, I wonder if they stuffed the new Tesla Roadster’s motor in there?
      I'm betting Elon will tweet about it the first chance he gets on their timed runs coming up, but it certainly isn't a standard Model S.

https://insideevs.com/news/370314/te...y-nurburgring/

Spy the P100D+ badge, flares, and more aggressive spoiler. If it isn't the plaid drivetrain, they will probably produces a 25k package to just say they have it now then show up with the plaid later. I'm pretty sure Tesla has been keeping the wraps on their Model S upgrades (interior, pack change, motor change) until the production Taycan was announced, now they will start rolling them out over the next 6 months to a year. It will be interesting to see what their response it.
      Last edited by silverlegacy; 09-12-2019 at 11:11 AM.

09-12-2019 11:03 AM #22
      Last week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk accepted the implicit challenge of the recently revealed 2020 Porsche Taycan by promising to send a Tesla Model S to the infamous Nürburgring, implying an attempt to beat Porsche’s claimed record lap time. Musk now claims the Model S has set a record at Laguna Seca—likely a distraction from the fact that Tesla can’t set a ‘Ring time yet.

The whole thing was all about this. It was an exercise of claims between two manufactures who are competing in a specific area. Nothing more, there's no need to take any of this any more serious than it needs to be.

Vehicles
      09-12-2019 11:07 AM #23
      I'm reading on Twitter this morning that the car was heavily modified and the VIN (at least the plate) comes back as a lemon law buyback. It's not production, therefore it is not a record. There are faster four door cars on track days.

There is also rumor of this being a three-motor car.

Source: https://twitter.com/hoonable

Gotta watch the goalpost with Elon.

Vehicles
      09-12-2019 11:09 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      I'm reading on Twitter this morning that the car was heavily modified and the VIN (at least the plate) comes back as a lemon law buyback. It's not production, therefore it is not a record. There are faster four door cars on track days.

There is also rumor of this being a three-motor car.

Source: https://twitter.com/hoonable

Gotta watch the goalpost with Elon.
      It's not confirmed yet whether the car that's currently in Germany is the same one that was at Laguna. I don't think it's the exact same car, but they are probably both extremely similar prototypes for the new "Plaid" model.

Elon confirmed on twitter that the Plaid cars will have a three-motor setup.

Someone asked "3 motors on the new Model S with Plaid Mode?" and this was his response:

Yes. To be clear, Plaid powertrain is about a year away from production & applies to S,X & Roadster, but not 3 or Y. Will cost more than our current offerings, but less than competitors.
      Last edited by Ryukein; 09-12-2019 at 11:11 AM.
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      09-12-2019 11:16 AM #25
      It's not confirmed yet whether the car that's currently in Germany is the same one that was at Laguna. I don't think it's the exact same car, but they are probably both extremely similar prototypes for the new "Plaid" model.

Elon confirmed on twitter that the Plaid cars will have a three-motor setup.
      If that three-motor plaid car goes into production as it was in that lap, then it likely will be the fastest four-door around Laguna Seca. If the Model S is ever equipped with a Model 3 steering wheel.....

This is fun, and honestly, great for EVs. There seems to be some competition here, and it's wonderful. There is also a lot of bull**** here too.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast