VWVortex.com - 2009 Eos DSG jerkiness (pre-purchase advice needed)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2009 Eos DSG jerkiness (pre-purchase advice needed)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Pure White '16 GLI SE
      09-12-2019 06:34 PM #1
      Hello fellow Vortex people!

Today I looked at a used 2009 Eos Lux with the ~200hp TSI engine from a private party. It only has 30k miles on it from a single owner. I spent about 45 minutes with the car, including 30 minutes on the road & highway, and made the observation that there is a certain jerkiness to the transmission when moving the car from a complete standstill. There's a noticeable jolt right before the car starts moving.

I have since perused plenty of threads here concerning known issues with the DSG transmission in the pre-2010 years, and came to understand that most dealers would say this is normal, whereas plenty of owners find it rather annoying.

But is it normal, really? I don't want to buy a car if the transmission is likely to blow out in a year or two.

Appreciate any thoughts/advise on any of the above.

Thanks!
      -J
      Last edited by cannondale0815; 09-13-2019 at 08:23 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf GTI
      09-14-2019 07:36 AM #2
      So I have a 2007 GTI with a dsg. Its night and day between the dsg in my 2008 eos just in the power level and the way the dsg is programmed. The programing in the eos is clearly for comfort economy and it short shifts way to early causing chugging. My eos was abused neglected and cheep. The dsg was soooo sluggish but a fluid change brought alot of life back too it. Sounds like in your case its more lack of driven. And it wants new fluids just on time. It also really helps to "reset" and readapt the trans and other settings to you. And learning how to drive it and thinking about driving it like a true manual and giving it good input helps. What I mean is you are ether on the brakes or on the gas. Never just let off the brake and let it creep on its own it will for sure be jerky then. Not saying it cant be a lemon or have the motronics issue. But with low miles should be fine. Also get a vagcom 2 min scanning with vagcom would kill 2 hours driving the car in what you can read see tell.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf GTI
      09-14-2019 07:41 AM #3
      Also try starting out in 1 or sport. See if it changes. Could be you not being use to gas ped floor mounted and if you are giving too much throttle input it sometimes feels like it was going to start out in 2 but then sees too much throttle % and kicks down to 1. Have not been curious enough to actually log it to see of thats whats happening or not but that is what it feels like to me.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      '19 Tiguan, '10 EOS
      09-26-2019 04:55 PM #4
      If my '10 EOS has not been driven for a week or so, the DSG can be a bit say "unsmooth" in starting out and upshifts. BTW, I got mine with 40k and had it's full DSG service, just crossed over 80k and again the full DSG service. It's just how these DSGs feel. Also I had one of the first EOS in the USA and it's DSG behaved the same way. The most use is a cold DSG and trying to park, have to be careful with that one. It can engage abruptly going from forward to reverse and back. I've found over time I've just gotten used to how it behaves.