VWVortex.com - Bad Shaking
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bad Shaking

1. 09-14-2019 08:18 PM #1
      So I did some digs with my friends one night, bad idea I know, and since that night my car started squeaking when moving from a stop and mainly in 1st and 2nd gear. After a couple days, that squeaking has turned into clunking and shortly after bad shaking.

From a stop, there is a loud rubbing sound on the right side, pretty sure it's the back. A lot of vibration coming through the steering wheel and brake pedal when it's not being used, and the vibration will mainly happen when flooring the car. I've checked everything underneath and around the tires and I'm not finding anything wrong. There is also no clicking present when turning the wheel.

Can anyone direct to me to something I need to check?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      09-15-2019 10:31 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by KyGTI97 View Post
      So I did some digs with my friends one night, bad idea I know, and since that night my car started squeaking when moving from a stop and mainly in 1st and 2nd gear. After a couple days, that squeaking has turned into clunking and shortly after bad shaking.

From a stop, there is a loud rubbing sound on the right side, pretty sure it's the back. A lot of vibration coming through the steering wheel and brake pedal when it's not being used, and the vibration will mainly happen when flooring the car. I've checked everything underneath and around the tires and I'm not finding anything wrong. There is also no clicking present when turning the wheel.

Can anyone direct to me to something I need to check?
      Why not get someone to stand to the side of the car that you think the noise is coming from and pull forward from and see if they can pinpoint what area the noise is generating from....front back left right

4. 09-15-2019 02:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI's View Post
      Why not get someone to stand to the side of the car that you think the noise is coming from and pull forward from and see if they can pinpoint what area the noise is generating from....front back left right
      Actually found the problem in the engine bay now that the problem has gotten worse. The bolts for the bracket on the engine side broke, so now my engine is hanging in the bay. Anyone want it?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      09-15-2019 05:57 PM #4
      Damn thats not good. Do not understand why VW can not keep engines and transmissions in the proper location. You are not the first and unfortunately not the last that this will happen to. I personally would report this to NHTSA.GOV Wonder if someone reused the bolts instead of replacing them?

7. 09-15-2019 08:10 PM #5
      I replaced them when I put stiffer mounts in. Unfortunately a few places got stripped out when I put everything back together so I'm not fixing it. If it didn't require me to remove the engine again, I would....

Vehicles
      .:R32
      09-17-2019 06:21 PM #6
      I replaced them when I put stiffer mounts in. Unfortunately a few places got stripped out when I put everything back together so I'm not fixing it. If it didn't require me to remove the engine again, I would....
      In what way does the engine have to be removed to do mounts.....? I've owned so many mk5/6 cars, and never once pulled an engine/trans to do mounts.
      no.

9. 09-17-2019 09:44 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TeamZleep View Post
      In what way does the engine have to be removed to do mounts.....?
      The bracket that attached to the engine is where it got jacked up, and it's pulling the motor mount with it. If it was the mount then yea, I wouldn't need to.

Vehicles
      .:R32
      09-18-2019 10:16 AM #8
      The bracket that attached to the engine is where it got jacked up, and it's pulling the motor mount with it. If it was the mount then yea, I wouldn't need to.
      oof. That sucks bad, man....
      no.

11. 09-18-2019 05:11 PM #9
      Hoping that everything is fine and just need to replace the bolts... Don't know if I'd trust the mount now though, probably replace that too.