VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Help me understand what's necessary for turboing aba

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BonusParts 
#1 ·
Hello my beautiful Volkswagen addicts! As the title suggests I have a very limited knowledge of turbo setups and the pieces required. I have a obd2 block, obd1 head with 276 (I'm aware this isn't ideal for turbo), chipped ecu, raceland header to straight pipe no cat, cold air. Looking to make this a fun daily, no race car here. Also this is mounted in a mk1 if that adds anything.

Here's what I know I need:
-Injectors (but what size exactly?)

-fuel regulator (what type)

-turbo manifold (can this be sourced from another TD model at the junkyard?)

-turbo (what size should I look for with minimal lag)

-lines

-fmic (necessary?)

-mass sensor adapter(what exactly is needed)

-piping

-extra head gasket (I hear it's a good suggestion to minimize possible internal damage due to the high compression)

What im missing to complete this turbo build? Thanks alot for any help

See less See more
#2 ·
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4908506-ABA-turbo-setups

Read up. Use chrome browser with the photobucket hotlink fix (extensions)

Anyways -

Chip tune for 440cc Bosch Injectors and Vr6 Maf is the way to go
See: Reflect Tuning, United Motorsport, C2
The chip tunes can be had either reduced compression or stock depending who you use.
They also will use a STOCK 3 bar Fuel Pressure Regulator

Turbo / Manifold options:
EBAY manifold + t3/t4 turbo (smaller for quick spool, larger for higher powerband and more gentle torque delivery)
TDI turbo setup - will be a very limiting setup, i dont really think its worth it.

Intercooler: I'd run one, there should be room in a mk1 bay for that.

Meanwhile, I am about to start tearing into my Mk3.5 Cabrio, to turbocharge the ABA. All relevant info will be in my project thread (Debbie in my signature)

Good luck! DEFINITELY spend time in that thread i linked. Its got TONS of good info and photos for reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.