VWVortex.com - GTI owner looking to get into my first R, looking for suggestions.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: GTI owner looking to get into my first R, looking for suggestions.

1. 09-16-2019 04:25 PM #1
      Hello

I have a 2017 gti Sport, I am looking to get into a 2019 Golf R. I simply cant wait for the MK8 R and I cant find an Audi that will give me the fun, functionality and MPG that the Golf R will give me. I have kids and a dog to put in the car and its bound to the car life of daily driver. Planning to put seat covers in the rear.

My reasoning for the GOLF R is I would like AWD for quick snow trips and im thinking of adding a thule cargo box for that purpose that I would take on and off. I feel I should have ponied up for one in the first place, but was in a different financial situation at the time.

my question. My GTI needs new tires, Im still riding on the stock tires which are terrible and worn out.

I here the Golf R rides better with 18's than the stock 19's, I do drive on rough southern california roads, as I see many of you getting 18's for your "R"'s. so I was thinking of getting a new wheel and tire package for my GTI, then swapping them to the Golf R when I find the car. That way they don't go with the GTI when I trade or sell and I keep my investment for the golf R. Does this sound right as it could be several months before I find the R, and I may as well have good tires for the GTI in the meantime.

Lastly , any wheel tire suggestions, ive looked at wedsport, HRE, I know there is a ton of info online, but its a bit overwhelming with 104 pages of wheel tire combos online. lol.

thanks for any thoughts or responses.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-16-2019 04:43 PM #2
      I just got a Golf R, DSG and have been really enjoying it as my daily driver. I was tired of driving my pickup and trying to park it, so it stays home now. I use it for hauling the kids, dogs, gear, groceries, you name it. In stock form (no perf mods) its fun and quick...not scary fast like other cars I have had, but quicker than most. Could easily be scary fast but no plan for mods.

I added 17" inch wheels and stored the 19" Prets. I went with Konig Myths with Yokohama All Seasons...believe it or not, it still handles great and the extra sidewall eases the harshness of the roads. I run the 17s full time. No plan to run the 19" Prets around here. My neighbor has a GTI and he went with 18s and said if he had to do over he'd go with 17s for his winter wheel. I didn't want to buy 18" and 17" Wheels and tires.

I also added one of those cargo hatch bag covers to the rear area. Keeps the dogs off the fabric. No seat covers yet but would do Wet Okole's if I go that route.

4. 09-16-2019 04:56 PM #3
      I went with 18" wheels and winter tires for my 19 R and will be putting them on in another month or so. I got a wheel/tire combo from Tire rack and went with Enkei Raijin's with blizzak sport winter tires. I am curious how it will ride. Who knows, If I like it better I may store the Prets too and just put some all seasons on the Enkei's....

Good luck, the R is an amazing daily driver and quite versatile. I look forward to getting in it every morning and I am 54 and had my share of cars and trucks over the years. The Golf R is probably my favorite so far and that says a lot!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 09-16-2019 05:26 PM #4
      I went with 18x8.5 on my 19 R along with 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ the ride is less harsh then the 19's with the stock Continental's.

Really not giving up much in the way of handling vs wheel protection the extra sidewall gives, very satisfied!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado, 06 GTI, 15 Sportwagen TDI, 17 Alltrack
      09-27-2019 06:53 AM #5
      It is very costly to trade in your car after only two years. I use my VWs to travel and took a 4000 mile trip earlier this month. I replace my donut spare with a full size spare to assure that I get to my destination. Because of that need I can't buy an R because they don't have a spare.

8. 09-27-2019 08:51 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by lschw1 View Post
      It is very costly to trade in your car after only two years. I use my VWs to travel and took a 4000 mile trip earlier this month. I replace my donut spare with a full size spare to assure that I get to my destination. Because of that need I can't buy an R because they don't have a spare.
      You absolutely can get a spare for an R. There are kits out there for exactly that.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Ordered: 2019 R Current: 2017 GTI, 2017 Sportwagon Previous: 2010 Sportwagon, 2007 GTI, 2002 Jetta
      09-27-2019 04:39 PM #7
      Did the 17 GTI to 19 R, love it. In NY state, anxious to see how the R fairs with 17” blizzaks. I thought the GTI did really well. The R really got me back into enjoying the car again, much like when I bought my first GTI in 06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2019 Golf R MK7.5 Lapiz Blue
      09-27-2019 05:58 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by kingbrd1 View Post
      Did the 17 GTI to 19 R, love it. In NY state, anxious to see how the R fairs with 17” blizzaks. I thought the GTI did really well. The R really got me back into enjoying the car again, much like when I bought my first GTI in 06.

Just grabbed a 19 R myself. Where in CNY? Syracuse here

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Ordered: 2019 R Current: 2017 GTI, 2017 Sportwagon Previous: 2010 Sportwagon, 2007 GTI, 2002 Jetta
      09-28-2019 04:28 PM #9
      Oswego... were you at cars and coffee this past weekend?

Vehicles
      2019 Golf R MK7.5 Lapiz Blue
      09-29-2019 09:03 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by kingbrd1 View Post
      Oswego... were you at cars and coffee this past weekend?

No sir, Did not know it was a thing..

13. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2019 11:04 AM #11
      Ah, Cantech has a couple cars and coffees through the summer months. Last one was this last weekend... 3 other lapiz blue besides mine. Was wondering if one of yours was there.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado, 06 GTI, 15 Sportwagen TDI, 17 Alltrack
      09-30-2019 05:22 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by crunch527 View Post
      You absolutely can get a spare for an R. There are kits out there for exactly that.
      I was told that while the R comes with a spare in Europe, in the US it was replaced with the subwoofer and we are expected to add tire gook to flats and refill them with a pump. What exactly does the "kit" do? Can I have a full size spare without wrecking the stereo?

Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      09-30-2019 08:09 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by lschw1 View Post
      Can I have a full size spare without wrecking the stereo?
      full size, no. But a donut, yes.
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...1#post98171161
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      09-30-2019 10:00 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      An 18" spare wheel is considered a donut?
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

17. 10-01-2019 12:55 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by lcavalletti View Post
      Hello

I have a 2017 gti Sport, I am looking to get into a 2019 Golf R. I simply cant wait for the MK8 R and I cant find an Audi that will give me the fun, functionality and MPG that the Golf R will give me. I have kids and a dog to put in the car and its bound to the car life of daily driver. Planning to put seat covers in the rear.

My reasoning for the GOLF R is I would like AWD for quick snow trips and im thinking of adding a thule cargo box for that purpose that I would take on and off. I feel I should have ponied up for one in the first place, but was in a different financial situation at the time.

my question. My GTI needs new tires, Im still riding on the stock tires which are terrible and worn out.

I here the Golf R rides better with 18's than the stock 19's, I do drive on rough southern california roads, as I see many of you getting 18's for your "R"'s. so I was thinking of getting a new wheel and tire package for my GTI, then swapping them to the Golf R when I find the car. That way they don't go with the GTI when I trade or sell and I keep my investment for the golf R. Does this sound right as it could be several months before I find the R, and I may as well have good tires for the GTI in the meantime.

Lastly , any wheel tire suggestions, ive looked at wedsport, HRE, I know there is a ton of info online, but its a bit overwhelming with 104 pages of wheel tire combos online. lol.

thanks for any thoughts or responses.
      This is the right idea. If you ask me (I know that's why you posted this ;-) ), the perfect combo is a set of nice 18's with PS4Ss for summer and 17's or 18's with Blizzaks for winter. The car is fantastic all 4 seasons and you get added handling and comfort by downsizing. I went with a set of BBS COs (love how they look) for summer and A3 5 spoke 17's (they were cheap) for winter.