VWVortex.com - Did I get a counterfeit Denso Spark Plug?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Did I get a counterfeit Denso Spark Plug?

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      09-17-2019 12:55 AM #1
      A recent discussions about spark plugs reminded me that I need to replace mine. So I ordered some Denso IKH24s from Amazon, which arrived a couple days ago. When I opened them, I noticed that one is different than the rest (packaging, silver vs brass metal, no navy blue stripes on the plug), but it still has the IKH24 name stamped on it.

Did I get a counterfeit plug?? I’m too skeptical about this to install these until I can get it figured out. Heck, maybe they're all fake. I just don't trust anything now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by drocpsu2; 09-17-2019 at 01:03 AM.
      2016 Golf R 6MT | Lapiz Blue | UM Stage 1+ | VMR600 Intake | CTS Downpipe | SB Stage 3 DD clutch | Spulen Short Shifter w/ BFI knob

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      09-17-2019 01:10 AM #2
      The type face is also different. There is a big problem with counterfeit sparkplugs. I'm not familiar with this brand, but the discrepancies between what you have would be enough for me to ask for a refund/exchange.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Mk7.5 R; formerly i01 Rex, e92 M3, Mk6 Golf R, e89 35is, EvoX MR, EvoVIII MR
      09-17-2019 01:22 AM #3

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      09-17-2019 08:36 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mrMTB View Post
      thanks. I found this article last night sometime after posting this as well, and it just raised my questions about them. At this point I am planning to return the one suspect one and try to get a replacement. I don't know why I can't seem to find these locally at stores around me, which I would have preferred. It annoys me that we, as customers, have to deal with stupid crap like counterfeit goods.
      2016 Golf R 6MT | Lapiz Blue | UM Stage 1+ | VMR600 Intake | CTS Downpipe | SB Stage 3 DD clutch | Spulen Short Shifter w/ BFI knob

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      09-17-2019 09:15 AM #5
      Wow! Who even knew this was a thing? Not me.

Neil

Vehicles
      7R DSG Tech
      09-17-2019 04:27 PM #6
      Interesting that the packaging on the "fake" is the newer style and the "original" has the older style (based on the link).

I would be suspicious of all of those plugs if a counterfeit part can make it into the sellers supply chain.

Sad how much effort goes into scamming people. I guess the profit is just too tempting.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      09-18-2019 12:04 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoS VW View Post
      Interesting that the packaging on the "fake" is the newer style and the "original" has the older style (based on the link).

I would be suspicious of all of those plugs if a counterfeit part can make it into the sellers supply chain.

Sad how much effort goes into scamming people. I guess the profit is just too tempting.
      I know, right? I am suspicious of all of them now. Prior to this, I wouldn't have even guessed that counterfeit spark plugs was a thing. Who knew?? The only reason I even purchased from Amazon is because I couldn't find the plugs in any of my local automotive stores. I might have to expand my search locally or buy them from somewhere else like ECS.

Vehicles
      2017 MkVIi Golf R
      09-18-2019 01:29 AM #8
      People will make counterfeits of anything they can make a quick buck on. A former company of mine had issues with counterfeit capacitors. Not big ones, little SMD packages that probably cost 20 cents. Didn't find out until they started popping (literally, complete with magic smoke).
      2010 mkVI GTI (sold)
      2017 mkVII Golf R DCC

Vehicles
      2017 MK7 GOLF R
      09-19-2019 08:12 PM #9
      Autozone can order them and usually takes 1 day. Have them look for the part number and Order them vdp
      MK7 Golf R Oryx White
      MK6 GLI Candy White Sold
      MK5 GLI Candy White Sold

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      09-20-2019 03:33 AM #10
      I'd return the whole lot and buy from one of the sponsors on here. If one of those things pops, you're looking at a very expensive engine job. Amazon is laced with counterfeit goods. Got to be very careful who you buy from.
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
      I lubed it up really well. I got it in eventually but it was nothing like how they show in the video. Usually the case, but I'm friggin sore still!

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      09-20-2019 11:51 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      I'd return the whole lot and buy from one of the sponsors on here. If one of those things pops, you're looking at a very expensive engine job. Amazon is laced with counterfeit goods. Got to be very careful who you buy from.
      I am doing exactly this. Though maybe I'll see if I can order them from my local Autozone, if its easier. After receiving them, I've had 0 confidence in them and there's no way I'm sticking those things in my engine.

14. 09-20-2019 01:18 PM #12
      What's scary is that it's only blind luck that led to one plug being tossed in the shipment not matching the others. If they all looked the same, this thread would have never been started.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk