VWVortex.com - Hatch spoiler removal
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hatch spoiler removal

Vehicles
      1997 projektzwo GTI (PVW Jan 01) - 2017 Honda CRV Touring - 2017 VW Golf R
      09-17-2019 10:26 AM #1
      I need to pull my rear spoiler - I'm installing a new check valve for the leaking rear washer - before anyone chimes in to take it to the dealer for warranty, I have - 4 times. They can't fix it and actually told me mine leaks less than new cars on their lot. I've decided to pull the spoiler off and install a new check valve myself (It's cheap - ~$18US) and to also see what hackery they might have done on their 4 failed attempts.

From what I am seeing in the VW shop manual in the body exterior section, I will need to remove the inside hatch trim piece, remove 3 nuts and then from the outside, lift the spoiler upwards to remove it. The side post-it note spoilers remain in place. I was hoping someone had done this already and could add any suggestions/tips on the process..?

Thx

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE, 2007 PASSAT VARIANT 2.0T
      09-17-2019 10:40 AM #2
      We have done a number of MkVII back windows.

It is relatively straightforward, but there are a couple of things you should know first.

The side blades are double sided taped to the glass and the spoiler. I would recommend cutting through the top pieces of double sided tape with a razor blade, as the will alleviate the pressure of pulling off the spoiler from the side blades.

Another thing they don't tell you is that there are clips holding the spoiler in as well as the nuts and bolts. They can be a bit tricky to release, but I imagined they've loosened up a bit considering that the dealer has been in there a few times.

Other than that, pretty easy. You will need new double sided tape for the top of the blades when you reinstall.
      | 2016 GTI SE | 2007 B6 PASSAT 2.0T WAGON | 2001 BMW E46 325I SPORT(SOLD) | 1997 BMW DINAN E36 M3(STILL MISSED) |
      SCOTTSDALE AUTO GLASS GETS THE JOB DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
      WWW.Scottsdaleautoglass.COM

Vehicles
      09-17-2019 11:42 AM #3
      Thanks for the info. I am aware of the clips on the top - I looked at pics of removed spoilers online to see what the back side looks like - I assumed that is why you need to give the spoiler a "pop" upwards to release them. Curious now if there is a need to have spares on hand? Have you experienced any of them breaking?

From what the VW shop manual says, the side spoilers remain in place - I know they have little tabs that go up under the main spoiler but it sounds like VW thinks the main spoiler can be removed w/o taking off the small side ones..

Thx again

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MK 7 Golf R
      09-17-2019 11:46 AM #4
      Look up how to install the aerofabb spoiler extension and it shows you how to remove the spoiler.
      You’ve got it pretty much, undo the 3 bolts, take a razor and cut the mounting tape holding the side fins to the spoiler and then gently start prying where the spoiler meets the roof and start tugging and the clips will pop, disconnect the washer clip and your spoiler is now off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      09-17-2019 03:31 PM #5
      If it fixes it can you please post the part number and a quick guide so i can follow in your footsteps

Vehicles
      09-17-2019 03:40 PM #6
      Thx for the tips and pointing me to the Aerofab vids, I wasn't aware of them and they show exactly what I was envisioning.

The part is 5G6955993 for just the valve and hose or 5G6945087A for the high mount brake light with check valve/hose included.

5G6955993 is ~$17
      5G6945087A is ~$47

I am hoping to get to this by the weekend.

9. 09-17-2019 07:49 PM #7
      Why would you remove the spoiler?? Just pop out the 3rd brake light and remove the ww nozzle!?

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MK 7 Golf R
      09-17-2019 08:50 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by impulsiv View Post
      Why would you remove the spoiler?? Just pop out the 3rd brake light and remove the ww nozzle!?
      Believe he’s trying to replace the whole thing, nozzle and the hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      09-17-2019 09:14 PM #9
      I've done it - it's less than fun.

Both side blades come back, they can't really easily be re-used. You can find them online for ~$70 or so.

The inside plastic trim is clipped in, then you've got three bolts and four clips.

We broke two of the four clips, probably want to go ahead and order new ones.
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

Vehicles
      09-17-2019 11:16 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by impulsiv View Post

According to the VW shop manuals, you can pop out the high brake light assembly but only on the normal Golf. On the e-Golf, GTI and R, the brake light is secured to the spoiler:

This is what I am replacing: