VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TCL Advice needed 3 Carseat edtion

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      09-17-2019 03:46 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I mean, it's old man sporty, but it will still hustle, and hold lots of people.
      YOLO it and get this instead?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-17-2019 03:47 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      Ford Flex with the EcoBoost?
      This is probably the best suggestion yet, they're great vehicles.
      Instagram - efrie004

4. Member
      09-17-2019 04:05 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      I'm assuming a Ford Fusion Sport would be a tight fit.
      Only marginally smaller than the Accord in width so it may be worth looking into but I think they never updated those with the 8-speed like the Edge but could be in the maybe pile but I'd fell like I'd pick the Accord first for much better MPG's especially if the 6-speed is compatible with Type-R LSD's

5. Member
      09-17-2019 04:07 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Under 40k and sporty. Are you okay with used?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=248081935

I mean, it's old man sporty, but it will still hustle, and hold lots of people.

Chris
      Although not an AMG still falls into the same class of "if anything breaks I'm Bankrupt""

6. Member
      09-17-2019 04:11 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5
      Ford Flex with the EcoBoost?
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      This is probably the best suggestion yet, they're great vehicles.
      Weirdly enough I actually like these but I didn't like how the Explorer sport was and my wife already gave a big ol' hell no.

Vehicles
      09-17-2019 04:22 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      Although not an AMG still falls into the same class of "if anything breaks I'm Bankrupt""
      You forgot the mandatory gif.

8. Member
      09-17-2019 05:09 PM #32
      Lol, just out of curiosity has HPA slapped a turbo on the VR6 Atlas yet?

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      09-17-2019 05:16 PM #33
      Long story short God was like "Give me a HOO AHH! Two times Tuesday!" (twins, Basil, TWINS!) and now I'm trying to find the impossible: an affordable, sporty car that can fit 2 rear facing car seats and a booster (preferably normal carseats and not the slim ones. Budget is something like 30-40K and not really interested in depreciated Euro M/RS/AMG sedans due to maintenance costs. Short list looks something like this but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Accord 2.0T - Concerns are this is going to be too small. Not confirmed to fit 3 seats but 2nd row "hip width" is on par with Impala and Taurus that can. Lack of front diff and true sportiness make me think I'll regret this if it's an option.

V6 Camry / Avalon (TRD?) like the Accord probably too small and not truly sporty

Impala - Not sporty by any means

Taurus SHO - Not appealing due to fuel economy (could not find C&D 75MPH real word figure but the 25 Hwy rating and 16mpg "observed" plus Ecoboost being known for not meeting advertised numbers has me convinced it's a no for me.

Kia Stinger - Not really sure on this on either. Hip width is among the largest at 56.1 but shoulder width the lowest by far at 54.8 and the only car where shoulder is smaller than hip (typo in the specs?). Gas mileage is so-so and I might be tempted to run regular gas to save money.

Charger RT or Scat pack - conceptually I like this option but I don't think I can get over the 90's MB platform and so-so MPG

Chevy SS - Same issues as the charger but less power than the Scat pack AND worse MPG Also hold's it value so I can't even justify the MPG by the car being reasonably priced

Finally if I HAD to pick an SUV... Ford Edge ST - surprisingly better MPG than the Taurus
      My brother has a 2019 Accord hybrid and two girls under 4. The car is HUGE and plenty of room for a family. They liked it so much his wife got one too. The 2.0t is supposed to drive very well, and lets f ace it with twins, your days of performance driving your daily are numbered.... Get an Accord 2.0t. Just enough for fun, but plenty practical daily.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      09-17-2019 05:28 PM #34
      Stinger, Charger, and SS will drive the best out of that list. Stinger seems pretty low on the road though, which may be a PITA reaching the middle seat for kid buckling, depending on how frequent it is. I feel Charger could be a lot of fun, and if you're that concerned about MPG you can still have fun with an SXT (3.6) as long as it has the ZF8. There may be some ancient bones involved (it was never an E-Class "platform"... they just borrowed some rear suspension componentry) but you'd never know it driving the thing with a modern 300+hp engine and the best auto on the market.

Accord/Camry/etc. are probably economical overall but are they really wide enough nowadays?

Anyway, congrats OP!

11. 09-17-2019 08:49 PM #35
      Honestly you sound like the target market for the hot Durango’s and grand Cherokee’s.

12. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      09-17-2019 09:52 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      09-17-2019 10:12 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
      Honestly you sound like the target market for the hot Durango’s and grand Cherokee’s.
      Yesterday I saw an SRT-8 Grand Cherokee pull away (okay, launch) from a stop sign on a very wet road. There was a bit of squirm as it fought for traction but it hooked up and was gone. It was impressive.

Vehicles
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      09-18-2019 09:02 AM #38
      Weirdly enough I actually like these but I didn't like how the Explorer sport was and my wife already gave a big ol' hell no.
      Have you driven the Flex? From what i understand its longer wheelbase gives it a more comfortable ride, plus the second row has a bit more legroom (approx 6") then the explorer which would be a plus in your case with the car seats...

I would at least drive one before you write it off completely... your wife might be surprised.... unless its purely a looks thing...
      /| OMGHAI |\

15. Member
      09-18-2019 09:34 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      *Minivan Images*
      Ha ha, has anyone put the Lotus Evora supercharger on a Sienna? They have an AWD option right?

Vehicles
      09-18-2019 10:01 AM #40
      Ha ha, has anyone put the Lotus Evora supercharger on a Sienna? They have an AWD option right?
      Anything is possible. I mean, they do race even these things.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      09-18-2019 10:19 AM #41
      I see a ton of Sienna SE vans around my town. With the ground effects that the SE has, I have to admit it's a good looking van.

They are hella expensive though! It changed my perception of the income of my neighbors driving those around once I started researching new and used pricing on them.

18. Member
      09-18-2019 12:21 PM #42
      So this is way out in left field but almost makes a lot of sense. Buick Lacrosse. Once you get past the Grandpa-mobile stereotype ("That's not a Buick!") it's got a lot of nice stuff the Impala doesn't (9-speed auto, optional adaptive suspension). Did 0-60 in 5.6 Sec and 31MPG on the real world 75MPH highway test. Only downside is it's on the small side on par with the accord but really you're talking 1 inch width between all but the Chevy SS. It's also being discontinued so the discounts / depreciation should be strong.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.0T, 2012 Honda Odyssey
      09-18-2019 01:06 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Stinger, Charger, and SS will drive the best out of that list. Stinger seems pretty low on the road though, which may be a PITA reaching the middle seat for kid buckling, depending on how frequent it is. I feel Charger could be a lot of fun, and if you're that concerned about MPG you can still have fun with an SXT (3.6) as long as it has the ZF8. There may be some ancient bones involved (it was never an E-Class "platform"... they just borrowed some rear suspension componentry) but you'd never know it driving the thing with a modern 300+hp engine and the best auto on the market.

Accord/Camry/etc. are probably economical overall but are they really wide enough nowadays?

Anyway, congrats OP!
      Accord looks slightly better as far as back seat compared to the Stinger?

Vehicles
      1997 GTI R32
      09-18-2019 01:14 PM #44
      Should have pulled out
      A minivan is probably the best option here.
      @VRBOY666

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-18-2019 01:21 PM #45
      Caravan is finally dead for 2020!

Can't believe we're down to 4 minivans. There used to be so many more!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-18-2019 01:21 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

Anyway, congrats OP!
      Stinger is cramped AF inside. Smaller than my G37, which is much smaller than the Accord.

If RWD is a must the Charger is it

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-18-2019 01:27 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Stinger is cramped AF inside. Smaller than my G37, which is much smaller than the Accord.

If RWD is a must the Charger is it
      Crazy, I have to say the Arteon is a win in my book. It's a Kia stinger with a bigger inside. Not RWD but has AWD and XDS/DCC.

24. Member
      09-18-2019 01:29 PM #48
      Sounds like the Stinger is off the list then. Like I said originally the numbers looked kind of wonky anyway so it must have been an error.

25. Member
      09-18-2019 01:35 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Crazy, I have to say the Arteon is a win in my book. It's a Kia stinger with a bigger inside. Not RWD but has AWD and XDS/DCC.
      Already looked at. According to the numbers it is 54.7in shoulder width (no hip number listed) which is a full inch narrower than my Mazda. Back seat is roomy but width is the key measure here and it doesn't work. May take a tape measure to one to be sure though.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-18-2019 01:40 PM #50
      Already looked at. According to the numbers it is 54.7in shoulder width (no hip number listed) which is a full inch narrower than my Mazda. Back seat is roomy but width is the key measure here and it doesn't work. May take a tape measure to one to be sure though.
      Gotcha. It isn't narrow, but I wouldn't say it was wide either. It's the leg room that makes it shine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast