The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rivian to build delivery 100k vans for Amazon

1. Member
      Vehicles
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      09-20-2019 10:52 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by alex_bgnet View Post
      With the quality of drivers they attract (very little pay, no benefits) how long until we start seeing those by the dozens on Copart?
      The Amazon drivers tracked the hell out of my yard. FedEx and UPS seem to get it done with no issues.

Rutted by willtel, on Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      09-20-2019 11:12 AM #27
      Send the bill to Bezos.

Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

02-21-2020 10:45 AM #28
      2021? Has Rivian actually built a vehicle that is on the roads yet?

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

5. Member
      02-21-2020 02:16 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      2021? Has Rivian actually built a vehicle that is on the roads yet?
      They've had running prototypes on the road. Before that, they had prototype "skateboards" on the road hiding in plain sight under Ford F150 bodyshells.

Production tooling is in progress ... I know who is building it.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2020 Subaru Ascent
      02-21-2020 02:49 PM #30

02-21-2020 03:00 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      They've had running prototypes on the road. Before that, they had prototype "skateboards" on the road hiding in plain sight under Ford F150 bodyshells.
      They are going to go from having running prototypes to building 100k vans in two years?

Production tooling is in progress ... I know who is building it.
      Oh, it isn't going to be built by Rivian
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      02-21-2020 03:06 PM #32
      They are going to go from having running prototypes to building 100k vans in two years?
      All they need to do is set up a tent in a parking lot. Easy!

02-21-2020 03:17 PM #33
      Oh, it isn't going to be built by Rivian
      I think he meant the production tooling isn't being built by Rivian lol.

02-21-2020 03:19 PM #34
      Plus the truck and SUV... So probably more like 200k

I think Ford is helping them plan the manufacturing and sourcing. Also as the second part of your post implies... Rivian is not (totally unnecessarily) reinventing the wheel and they are tapping in the existing Tier 1 automotive supply network so I think they will have less trouble scaling up production than you know who.

11. Member
      02-21-2020 03:48 PM #35
      Same as any other major vehicle program.

Rivian isn't trying to re-invent the production process the way a certain other EV manufacturer tried to. They've done their prototype mules (hiding in plain sight under F150 bodies). They've got their production-intent prototypes running around. They're working with normal auto industry suppliers. They're following the usual path to production.

Rivian's "skateboard" design means the major mechanical bits underneath are already designed. They can easily make the "skateboard" a different length (longer for the delivery van - which will allow for a bigger battery pack if they need it, since that's underfloor between the front and rear axles). The delivery van is conceptually a big simple box with a couple of doors and windows, on top of that already-designed skateboard chassis. It doesn't need the luxury appointments that the mass-market truck and SUV will. Grab an instrument panel (probably sharing parts with the other models), grab a couple of seats from something else off-the-shelf.

FWIW tooling is getting built now for the Ford Mach E, too, and that one is about a year out from start of production.

02-21-2020 06:03 PM #36

Rivian isn't trying to re-invent the production process the way a certain other EV manufacturer tried to. They've done their prototype mules (hiding in plain sight under F150 bodies). They've got their production-intent prototypes running around. They're working with normal auto industry suppliers. They're following the usual path to production.

Rivian's "skateboard" design means the major mechanical bits underneath are already designed. They can easily make the "skateboard" a different length (longer for the delivery van - which will allow for a bigger battery pack if they need it, since that's underfloor between the front and rear axles). The delivery van is conceptually a big simple box with a couple of doors and windows, on top of that already-designed skateboard chassis. It doesn't need the luxury appointments that the mass-market truck and SUV will. Grab an instrument panel (probably sharing parts with the other models), grab a couple of seats from something else off-the-shelf.

FWIW tooling is getting built now for the Ford Mach E, too, and that one is about a year out from start of production.
      It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the inside of Rivian van end up looks just like a Ford Transit

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      02-21-2020 06:45 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the inside of Rivian van end up looks just like a Ford Transit
      And that an eTransit doesn't follow it to market relatively quickly?
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      02-21-2020 08:29 PM #38
      Why does Amazon needs vans when people can stuff passenger cars full of goods?

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      02-22-2020 08:48 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      Why does Amazon needs vans when people can stuff passenger cars full of goods?

So they can lease them out to their delivery drivers and make a couple of bucks off of them as well.

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      02-22-2020 12:21 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      So they can lease them out to their delivery drivers and make a couple of bucks off of them as well.
      By delivery drivers you meant self employed contractors who don't need benefits right?

Vehicles
      02-22-2020 03:15 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      By delivery drivers you meant self employed contractors who don't need benefits right?
      Yep - the Rivian will replace the Sprinters, Transits, and ProMasters that Amazon contracts. By owning the vehicle, they cut out the middlemen.

https://logistics.amazon.com/

Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      09-15-2020 09:57 PM #42
      Maybe Amazon wants some competition in the game?

They bought 10 (only) probably for tests, from a company in Canada;
      https://thelionelectric.com/en

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-15-2020 10:04 PM #43

Yea I don't understand the skepticism; there's damn near nothing to develop. The floor + drivetrain is already done; they could probably slap a Transit body right on top.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      09-16-2020 09:33 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      Maybe Amazon wants some competition in the game?

They bought 10 (only) probably for tests, from a company in Canada;
      https://thelionelectric.com/en

That's a class 8 truck (GVRW > 33,000 lbs.) Those are not for delivery use as they require a CDL. The range is about 250 miles. I wouldn't be surprised to see those used for warehouse to warehouse transfers in congested areas versus the tractor trailers and box trucks they contract now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12