VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Saw another Arteon in the wild for the first time

34K views 239 replies 68 participants last post by  Todnel46 
#1 ·
Driving around Cambridge MA today, I saw another Arteon on the road for the first time. It was Manganese grey just like mines, if that driver is reading this, nice choice of color and of course, nice choice in buying the Arteon.

#176 ·
It amazes me that these aren't selling based on looks. It does NOT amaze me that they aren't selling well given the market push for S/CUV's. They axed the CC because of declining sales...not sure what they thought was going to happen with the Arteon.

Its a shame, too, and on both accounts, because these are going to be head-turners for years to come. I think the design is going to age very well. Bold enough to stand out, sedate enough to endure. I still drool over Phaetons/D2 A8s and think these will fall into a similar category eventually. Then again, maybe I just have bad taste??

I've seen four Arteons in the wild to date, and that's sad. The roadways would be much prettier if there were more of them on it. 😁

#179 ·
Funny thing for me is that I'm currently a fan of large hatchbacks and wagons, and have been buying them for the past 18 years...but going WAY back, I was actually into SUVs. At the time, SUVs weren't really a thing yet - there were only a few, and all were truck-based, real UTILITY and off-road capable vehicles. I was graduating college and moving out west and off roading was going to be something I did a lot - so that's what I wanted - and it was nice that I would be driving something that didn't look like many other things on the road (cars vastly outnumbered SUVs). My 1990 Mitsubishi Montero LS stood out, and I'd only occasionally see Cherokees, 4Runners, Troopers, Pathfinders, Jimmys, or Bronco IIs on the road. Of course, not long after, the Ford Explorer came out, the RAV4 followed, and tons of car-based 'SUV's started to take over. After two Monteros, I ended up buying two sedans, before really becoming addicted to wagons/hatches. The less popular things are on the road, the more I tend to like them and want them...it shouldn't be the case, but I know if I started seeing Arteons and Stingers at every stoplight, I'd start looking for something else to stand out from the masses a bit.

#180 ·
I'm all for functional off-road vehicles that spend at least SOME of their time in what I would consider their "natural habitat." I think it was back in the late 90's that I saw a statistic around the percentage of "SUV's" that were ever actually used as off-road vehicles (you know, the principle they were founded on) and it was something abysmal like 3%. I'm sure that number has gotten worse, which is especially aggravating given their proliferation.

I make sure the Touareg goes off-roading multiple times per year -AND- it's the 'farm truck' for dealing with the horse. This is the only way I can get past the flood of hypocrisy that courses through me every time I look at the driveway.😁

#201 ·
Saw not one, but two Arteons in Spokane, WA today. A white non R-line parked at a house on Waikiki Rd, and an Atlantic Blue non R-line headed north on Maple.

First time I’ve seen any Arty in this city that’s not mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arteon Wayne
#204 ·
Arteon is a rare bird indeed, in all the years its been available, I've seen maybe 5 - and thats living in a region of 2.5 million people. Had it been available with a manual, I would have bought one.

Reactions: Arteon Wayne
#235 ·
Between Boca Raton and Coral Springs (home and work), I'm at the point where I've seen enough to notice each one, but not really count anymore. Since many are the same color, I can't know whether I'm seeing the same ones often or new ones, but I'm probably over 20 sightings now. Mostly black - probably 1/2 of all sightings...2 red, 3 blue, 2 grey, 2 silver, and 4 white. The 3 blue were all 21+ models, the reds were split between -21 and 21+. Blacks lean more towards -21 but some of each. Most recent was 2 days ago, a black one entering Sawgrass Parkway at the north entrance - I passed as he was driving a bit more conservatively than I was.

Outside of my hometown area, I've never spotted an Arteon - trips to Orlando regularly, trips to Tampa, Port Charlotte, and once to N. Georgia. No Arteons during the trip or at the locations. S. Florida is a big VW market, so it's more likely to see any of the 'rarer' models down here (I see Golf Rs twice a week, and ID4s are daily sightings).

Happy to say I have still, in 3 1/4 years, never spotted another Kurkuma yellow model! So glad I went through the effort to get one for the very shortened '19 model year when they made it, and even then, so few were actually shipped to the U.S. With 20 and up not offering the color, it's probably the rarest version now.

#237 ·
There are a good number of them in Orlando. I see one about once a week but it is in my travels to and from work during rush hour traffic. Usually highway and a few times downtown.

#239 ·
I probably don't spend enough time up there - I'm usually in Orlando 4-5 times a year on Disney trips, with some excursions into Orlando while there. I spend more of the time in the Disney area or on property. My car seems to still be strange enough that the Disney valets often ask me what it is, even 3+ years later, so I don't think they've seen too many, and they see almost all cars at some point!

#8 ·
nothing here in Kansas either.

although my wife did take the Arteon up to Kansas City yesterday. so i was able to drive her Atlas and to be honest, i REALLY like the Atlas.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

#10 ·
Still haven't seen one on the road other than mine - and I'm in the area with the highest volume VW dealer in the US. There are VWs everywhere down here. Just no Arteons. Not that I'm complaining. I like having a unicorn.

On my first road trip up to Disney World last week - I found out just how unfamiliar the Arteon is. Every resort valet I pulled up to asked about the car, circled the car, people waiting for their cars or pulling up were looking at it, some asked what it was, quite a few were taking photos with their phones. Not just once or twice - but dozens of times. Often it ended up sitting in the valet area for long periods of time while other valets would check it out. At Animal Kingdom Lodge, I pulled up around noon, left at the valet, after chatting with them about 10 minutes about the car and color, then went into the hotel, had lunch, took a bus to Animal Kingdom park, spent the day there, caught a bus back at 7pm, to find my car still sitting at the valet stand, pulled over to the side. The valet said so many people kept walking around it and taking phone photos they decided to just leave it there rather than pull it over to the valet lot. Most cars kept up front at the valet are high-dollar vehicles where the driver tips to have their car kept in the 'exclusive' up-front area.

Now I know much has to do with the color, which stands out for sure - but also that it was on a car that was not familiar to almost anyone. The lines on the car look great in person, so it does attract attention anyway, and in the yellow it really stands out...but I still found it quite humorous and a little surprising just how many comments, photos, etc the car was getting. While I love having something unique, I'd say VW is a little stupid not advertising this car more heavily (other than an 'online' ad video that was linked here once, I've not seen a single Arteon ad online, on TV, or in print...so how they expect anyone to know the car exists, I truly don't know!

#12 ·
Funny you say this, the yellow is what draws them to the car. They always roll down windows at stop lights, or like you said the valet/car wash attendants always say, oh the color stood out to me but what is it?

I like the other colors, don't get me wrong.. but the yellow makes a huge difference on this car and I don't think I'd like it as much of it were a bland white like my first one.

#16 ·
I live in Central MA and work in Boston and have yet to see one. I know Minuteman in Bedford has some on the lot still but Colonial in Westboro sold theirs so they’re around... but I’ve yet to see one. I can say though, I get many more looks, questions, and compliments than I did in my R. It’s kinda cool.

#22 ·
damn, in your neighborhood even!
sure it wasnt an Accord? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.