VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Blinker not working

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Radfish 
#1 ·
My drivers side front blinker stopped working recently - the other 3 work fine. I get a fast blinker signal on the dash and no flash from the bulb. After first searching several TT forums, I first tried cleaning/adjusting the bulb socket to make better contact, then replacing the bulb, no luck. Next, I replaced the emergency flasher switch, still no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

John

#3 · (Edited)
Well, well, wadda’ya know ... I thought I checked that already, but that’s it - ground wire broken about 3” from the bulb housing. :banghead: Now gotta Google how to take the headlight housing off to make some room to get in there and splice the wire!!

Thank you for your help and for bringing me back to the basics!

Anyone need a new OEM Flasher relay? $60 + shipping.

John

#5 ·
The front bumper cover has to come off to remove the headlight housing on our cars. You may as well do it for the sake of practice, in case you need to replace your radiator or pull the motor. If you can manage to fix the wire without removing the housing, all the better. Might be easier to remove the fender liner on that side.

#6 ·
Pulled front bumper, removed headlight and spliced the blinker wire. While I was in there, I also completed my alien-ectomy (never liked those things :)) and added some led strips as daytime running lights. Total time (taking it slow) was about 6 hours. Everything works again, yay! Hardest part was getting the fender liners on again. Next time, I’ll try and just remover the bolts on the front part of the fender liner to access the 4 bumper bolts.

John

#8 ·
DRLs wired to fuse #28 (fuel pump) using add-a-fuse with a 5A fuse. The amp draw for the led lights is very low and it’s a 20A circuit, so I’m thinking it will be ok. Seems to be working so far :) There are probably better ones to use, but it’s a PITA to try and find switched power. I’m already using #2 (turn signal) for the boost and oil pressure gauge lighting.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.