Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Its time for a new turbo

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 mk5 gti
      09-23-2019 12:59 AM #1
      Hello ladies so the other day on the way home ceasars turbo finally **** the bed hes a 08 mk5 gti with the fsi motor and a ko3 turbo i would really love some insight on people who have first hand experince so since i plan on keeping the car for a while i was wondering what you guys think should i rebuild the ko3 cuz i read on some other places of you rebuild them there basically like a brand new turbo if done right or should i try going ko4 and if i do ko4 what do i have to do or is it just direct bolt on any help is valued thanks for the read/comments!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-23-2019 01:30 AM #2
      Well firstly, what exactly happened to the original K03 turbo? Did it grenade completely? Seal blew and it's leaking oil? Seized somehow?

Rebulding/replacing the CHRA (the center cartridge with the bearing) would certainly bring it back to life, that's replacing all of the wear parts.

The K04 turbo is physically a direct replacement but requires additional air, fueling and a tune, so replacing just the turbo is not a good idea unless you also do the rest of the necessary upgrades to support it.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 mk5 gti
      09-23-2019 08:42 AM #3
      I was leaving my grandmothers at the time and the seals were already bad (throwing up oil and eating it then throwing clouds of smoke out the back) i was just uneducated and didnt guess it was the problem at the time its not fully seized i dont believe but i could hear the compressor scratch againt the housing so once i heard that i limped it back to my grandmothers and parked it so i dont think its completely seized but its pretty much done for id like to have a ko4 but that deffinitley seems like the expensive option vs just a ko3 rebuild and it seems i might be able to get an aftermarket cartridge for my ko3 and btw thanks for the speedy reply!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk