Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Back To My Roots: A Suzuki Samurai Project

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW S 4motion, 1991 VW GTI 1.8t, 2012 Mazda 5 Sport, 1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
      09-23-2019 11:04 AM #1
      In 1991, I had just gotten my license, and was ready to step into the world of car ownership. Long before my current Volkswagen obsession, I wanted a Suzuki Samurai. It had to be a soft top, and really that was the only criteria. The appropriate 1986 Samurai, in white, was found and I drove it happily until winter came upon us and also when I had to take it on a road trip. The thing was dreadfully slow (65mph tops), and freezing cold inside, in the long New England winters. Otherwise it was EVERYTHING I was initially looking for in my first vehicle. Reliable, looked good, learned how to drive a manual on it, and learned that tinkering on cars is a lot like tinkering on BMX bikes (just at a larger scale).

My best friend was a diehard VW guy and it eventually rubbed off on me around 1994. I sold my beloved Suzuki Samurai because it sucked on the highway, I froze in it in the winter, and I just HAD to have a GTI. I let it go and the rest was history. This is a local newspaper image of me driving my original, in 1993.

Over the last year or so, I've been slowly finding myself looking Suzuki Samurai content all over the internet. As usual, I was browsing SearchTempest and finally found the one I had to have. Like my original, this one was a 1986 and white, had the same original body graphics, but this one was a Tin Top....pretty much EXACTLY what I would wish for. All of the Samurais available around my regions are rusted to crumbs, been converted into "rock crawlers", and have race car seats in them. Basically nothing I'm interested in. This one was in Houston, Texas, all original, owned by an older retired gentleman, 114,000 miles (40,000 of which were RV towed miles), and had never been offroad, nor seen salt.

I secured a deal with the seller, sent out the payment, and arranged to have the vehicle picked up and delivered to me in Maine. I have never purchased a vehicle sight unseen, but the seller seemed very trustworthy and very accommodating to my needs. A week after it was picked up, it arrived to me....

After giving it the initial once over, I was very pleased. It started and ran, looked as described, and most everything worked. Unfortunately, it suffered a huge bullseye to the upper passenger's side of the windshield in transit. I'm assuming this is the case because the seller never disclosed glass damage and it was not documented on the initial check in form, written up by the pick up driver. Oh well.....I don't "think" Samurai windshields are very expensive, we'll see.

Other issues that need immediate addressing are the lack of functioning ebrake, which was disclosed, and a pretty good sized oil leak, which was not mentioned. I'm a bit bothered about that, but I can live with it. Hopefully it isn't anything major, I haven't investigated, just monitored the drips.

The first order of business was to gut the interior and clean the floors, jambs, and interior paintwork. Everything inside was dirty, not just sandy carpets, but dirty interior paint, filthy is more the word. I spent all day yesterday scrubbing and reinstalling the interior and I'm VERY happy with the results. Sadly, I snapped one of the mounting bolts for the rear seat when I was taking it out, but was able to drill out the bolt and will re-thread the hole with an oversized tap at a later date. All that remains from the headliner is glue and foam, which was disclosed, and that is next on my interior to-do list.

Before:

After:

That's it for now. Reinstalled carpet and interior pics forthcoming.
      Last edited by Veedubgti; 09-23-2019 at 11:10 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i 80 D150 SWB
      09-23-2019 11:13 AM #2
      I love the tin tops. Looks like you found a great one.

Much cheaper to ship in a clean one than fix rust.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-23-2019 11:40 AM #3
      Wow! Congrats on getting it and it looks to be in amazing shape. As a fellow New Englander I know how rare these are these days especially in original condition.

I almost bought one back in 1990. I was between a few different choices and ended up going in another direction but I remember how cool that little thing was.

In for updates - looks like you are already off to a really good start!

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      09-23-2019 11:42 AM #4
      Oooo...I'm going to enjoy this!

Nice find, looks solid which as you mentioned is #1.
      The car that started it all! A work log and tale of tears (from my wallet)
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...lass-work-log)

6. Member
      09-23-2019 11:42 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Veedubgti View Post
      All of the Samurais available around my regions are rusted to crumbs

It never ceases to amaze me. Someone who lives in the north/northeast US says online that they just cannot find a particular car in rust-free condition anywhere in their area. They get a chorus of responses telling them to go buy one in the south and drive/transport it home. "Oh, but I can't do that--it's inconvenient."

You know what's really inconvenient? Repairing lots of rust on a vehicle.

Great job, OP.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW S 4motion, 1991 VW GTI 1.8t, 2012 Mazda 5 Sport, 1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
      09-23-2019 11:50 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      It never ceases to amaze me. Someone who lives in the north/northeast US says online that they just cannot find a particular car in rust-free condition anywhere in their area. They get a chorus of responses telling them to go buy one in the south and drive/transport it home. "Oh, but I can't do that--it's inconvenient."

You know what's really inconvenient? Repairing lots of rust on a vehicle.

Great job, OP.
      You know, it's funny.... When I told the seller where I was located, he thought I was absolutely crazy. "Why would you want to purchase a plain Suzuki Samurai so far away from home?" he asked. To him, living in Houston TX, these things are still a dime a dozen. Up here, where I am, these are unicorns. What I paid, including shipping, was far cheaper than any pile of rust, offroad dents, and hacked up interiors that I can currently buy in a 500 mile Craigslist radius, by far.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2020 Subaru Ascent
      09-23-2019 12:01 PM #7
      This is awesome, it cleaned up really well!

Vehicles
      Random Junk
      09-23-2019 12:04 PM #8
      Congrats! ALWAYS loved these bad boys
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Mazda CX9, 1966 IH SCOUT 800, 1970 MGB GT
      09-23-2019 12:04 PM #9
      Looking good, what plans for it down the road?

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      09-23-2019 12:05 PM #10
      wow that looks really clean!

these arent uncommon in the pnw, but as you noted theyre usually hacked up, rock crawlers, or otherwise not stock.
      its been a while since ive seen a clean unmolested one

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-23-2019 12:32 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by JET70 View Post
      Looking good, what plans for it down the road?
      Since you asked... Clean it all up and fix whatever I can with available stock parts. Certainly no full on paint jobs or anything like that. I will do some mild "paint correction" myself, but that's the extent with the paintwork.

My original 1986, that I owned in 1991 (when the car was 5 years old), had seats in far worse condition than these ones are in. I ultimately had to have them reupholstered at that time. Seeing the seller's pics, I was prepared to get these reupholstered, as well. But it isn't a necessity at this point in time, as this isn't a show car (minus cars and coffee) and I've personally seen far worse, first-hand, when they were much younger cars.

The third plan may be quite controversial, so I'm putting myself out there, here it goes....

I'm pretty sure I will be performing a VW 2.0L ABA swap in the relatively near future. This thing is carbed with a manual choke, leaks oil like a sieve, and is quite loud. And as much as I'd like to keep it "all original", I just don't see myself directing that effort into this engine. I'm very familiar with VWs (they are my comfort zone), I've wired a million of these engines in my day, and those engines are bulletproof. Plus, I'd like to blend a little bit of what I was into in the past with what I'm into in the present.

TDI Samurais are pretty popular with the offroad boys. So much so, that there are a couple companies that make TDI conversion parts for these vehicles. Engine mount brackets, flywheels, and bellhousing adapters to run TDIs with Samurai drivetrains. And if you know VWs, you know that TDI blocks and 2.0L ABA blocks have the same mounting and transmission provisions.

That's the plans as of right now.
      Last edited by Veedubgti; 09-23-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      09-23-2019 12:38 PM #12
      As I started reading your first post, I don't know if I would have expected one this clean. It looks in really solid shape, nice buy!
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

14. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      09-23-2019 12:41 PM #13
      what about something with big cams, itbs, etc?
      that seems like itd be a fun twist of old and new

i have a friend doing an itb 4age swap in a samurai, i think expanding on your aba idea with an itb big cam 16v, might be interesting

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      09-23-2019 01:06 PM #14
      rotary swaps are kinda popular on these... brap brap.

congrats on the fun project!
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

16. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-23-2019 01:17 PM #15
      Love the project!

I can totally relate to having a photo of my car blasting through a puddle in the newspaper.

Photobucket sucks, as they've restricted my account. Because they suck. You get the idea, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

17. Member
      Vehicles
      09-23-2019 01:24 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      what about something with big cams, itbs, etc?
      that seems like itd be a fun twist of old and new

i have a friend doing an itb 4age swap in a samurai, i think expanding on your aba idea with an itb big cam 16v, might be interesting
      I've always wanted to put an ABF 16v clone into something, but I feel like this isn't the appropriate application for that. Seems like a lot of tracking down grey market parts, rebuilding heads, etc. This will be an around town daily driver, so I'm after dead nuts reliability, budget, and a quick turn around. I also have a fascination with scanning old ass cars with VCDS as needed.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      09-23-2019 01:26 PM #17
      If interested, the seller's Craigslist ad pics can be seen here...

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...#post113708233

This is my current To-Do list is...

-Install new headliner......................................... ................................................DONE.
      -Clean exterior
      -Get a new windshield quote or see if they can epoxy a 1/2 dollar-sized bullseye.....New windshield in future
      -Re-tap bolt hole for rear seat.............................................. ...............................DONE.
      -Fix E-brake............................................. .................................................. .......DONE.
      -Investigate engine oil leak.............................................. ...................................Valve Cover is leaking, engine swap in near future.
      -Clean dash and console........................................... .........................................DONE.
      -Remove trailer wiring birds nest.............................................. ...........................DONE.
      -Remove RV Tow Bar evidence.......................................... ..................................DONE.
      -Replace Door Window Weatherstripping.................................. .............................DONE.
      -Fix windshield washer system............................................ .................................DONE.
      -Replace side view mirrors
      -Replace a side marker lens
      -Hood prop rod grommet........................................... ..........................................Replaced, grommet doesn't stay put.
      -Jack handle grommet........................................... ..............................................DONE.
      -Pull wheels off and inspect 4 corners
      -Replace Radio Antenna........................................... ...........................................DONE.
      -Replace Outer Door Window Lower Weatherstripping
      -Replace Vapor Barriers.......................................... ............................................DONE.
      -Replace Front Bumper
      -Replace Tail Lights............................................ .................................................DONE.
      -Fix Back Up Lights............................................ .................................................DONE.

That's it for now. This list will hopefully get smaller, but most likely grow.
      Last edited by Veedubgti; 11-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      09-23-2019 01:30 PM #18
      Since you asked... Clean it all up and fix whatever I can with available stock parts. Certainly no full on paint jobs or anything like that. I will do some mild "paint correction" myself, but that's the extent with the paintwork.

My original 1986, that I owned in 1991 (when the car was 5 years old), had seats in far worse condition than these ones are in. I ultimately had to have them reupholstered at that time. Seeing the seller's pics, I was prepared to get these reupholstered, as well. But it isn't a necessity at this point in time, as this isn't a show car (minus cars and coffee) and I've personally seen far worse, first-hand, when they were much younger cars.

The third plan may be quite controversial, so I'm putting myself out there, here it goes....

I'm pretty sure I will be performing a VW 2.0L ABA swap in the relatively near future. This thing is carbed with a manual choke, leaks oil like a sieve, and is quite loud. And as much as I'd like to keep it "all original", I just don't see myself directing that effort into this engine. I'm very familiar with VWs (they are my comfort zone), I've wired a million of these engines in my day, and those engines are bulletproof. Plus, I'd like to blend a little bit of what I was into in the past with what I'm into in the present.

TDI Samurais are pretty popular with the offroad boys. So much so, that there are a couple companies that make TDI conversion parts for these vehicles. Engine mount brackets, flywheels, and bellhousing adapters to run TDIs with Samurai drivetrains. And if you know VWs, you know that TDI blocks and 2.0L ABA blocks have the same mounting and transmission provisions.

That's the plans as of right now.
      I once had grand plans to swap a mildly built 1.8L 8v VW engine (that was sitting in my garage) into a Sammy, and I live pretty close to Acme Adaptors so everything would have been an easy bolt-in affair.

Please make this happen so I can live vicariously through you.

20. Member
      09-23-2019 03:32 PM #19
      This is my current To-Do list is...
      Remember: a To-Do list only counts if it is written on cardboard.

Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

Vehicles
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      09-23-2019 03:34 PM #20
      1986 = antique....wow. My first new car was a 1987 model year.....now I feel really old ;-)

Awesome project.

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

22. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-23-2019 04:18 PM #21
      Is that rust popping up under the adhesive under where the driver's seat goes? Unless you already know otherwise I'd get into that and check it out before there are big holes. :/

As far as your bird's nest is going, at least you're not undoing hippy wiring. I've had a few Microbuses back in the day and man, they don't know a damn thing about wiring! Id bet you don't have wire nuts and lamp cord in there, anyway.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      '12 Ford Explorer, '02 EJ251 Outback
      09-23-2019 04:42 PM #22
      Veedubgti,
      This thread makes me all sorts of happy You and I are probably the same age. The Samurai was the first car I ever learned to drive on (got my license also in 1991). My parents purchased theirs from John Chezik Suzuki in St. Louis in 1988.
      Last edited by SWeetie; 09-23-2019 at 04:46 PM.
      <<<--Between the Evergreens-->>> -- My IG

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      09-23-2019 07:10 PM #23

I'm pretty sure I will be performing a VW 2.0L ABA swap in the relatively near future...
      YES!!! I'm a big VW 8v fan, and wholeheartedly endorse this!

09-23-2019 11:18 PM #24
      I like the aba swap idea.
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      rotary swaps are kinda popular on these... brap brap.

congrats on the fun project!
      the rotary swap samuari is as puerto rican as you can get lol, my PR friend loves rotaries, but hates the samurai swapped ones, and they are plenty of these in Florida:

09-23-2019 11:26 PM #25
      Man, that thing is nice! Interesting choice on the 2.0 ABA. It will feel super torquey in that little tin-top.

Definitely a rad ride!

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast