VWVortex.com - Suspension ticking noise
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Suspension ticking noise

1. 09-24-2019 12:59 PM #1
      I am wondering if anyone here have intermittent ticking noise from their suspension. It only happens I would say 5% of time while I am driving and mostly on turns or going up onto my driveway's ramp. If I let the car cool down, the noise goes away. Seems to be on both front suspensions.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-24-2019 01:15 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by The G Man View Post
      I am wondering if anyone here have intermittent ticking noise from their suspension. It only happens I would say 5% of time while I am driving and mostly on turns or going up onto my driveway's ramp. If I let the car cool down, the noise goes away. Seems to be on both front suspensions.
      I am not hearing any noises on mine. But I heard these noises on my Volvo S90 with ADS, and it never had any issues with the suspension. I used to only hear it when going in parking decks as the noise would reflect off the walls.

I wouldn't be alarmed by it unless it truly gives you issues such as warning messages.

4. 09-25-2019 08:17 AM #3
      Thanks for the response Ice. The ticking noise varies in amplitude and sounds like its coming from the doors. The dealer took off the door panel and inspected the strut mounts, found nothing loose. Now I am suspecting that its from the suspension since it usually makes the noise on ramps, bumps and turns. The noise seems to be getting better now that I have 1800 miles on her. I am starting to think it might be the spring, bushing or the adaptive suspension.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-25-2019 08:53 AM #4
      Thanks for the response Ice. The ticking noise varies in amplitude and sounds like its coming from the doors. The dealer took off the door panel and inspected the strut mounts, found nothing loose. Now I am suspecting that its from the suspension since it usually makes the noise on ramps, bumps and turns. The noise seems to be getting better now that I have 1800 miles on her. I am starting to think it might be the spring, bushing or the adaptive suspension.
      If anything, id think the adaptive suspension (ads). The system is constantly changing it's magnetic charge to adjust the dampening for the settings you choose. They do fail. But id also think there would be some warning message if it did fail. It's not 1988.

7. 09-25-2019 11:03 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      If anything, id think the adaptive suspension (ads). The system is constantly changing it's magnetic charge to adjust the dampening for the settings you choose. They do fail. But id also think there would be some warning message if it did fail. It's not 1988.
      I have had quite a few cars with adaptive suspension and never had this issue before, I thought the adaptive system in our cars are hydraulic and not magnetic, please correct me if I am wrong. Also, the suspension seem stiffer when the ticking noise is active or maybe its just my imagination.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-25-2019 11:36 AM #6
      I have had quite a few cars with adaptive suspension and never had this issue before, I thought the adaptive system in our cars are hydraulic and not magnetic, please correct me if I am wrong. Also, the suspension seem stiffer when the ticking noise is active or maybe its just my imagination.
      This system is not magnetic, you're right. Instead it uses rods which tighten up and loosen based on the settings. Here's a great detailed explanation of the system:
      https://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswag...n-and-function

9. 09-25-2019 02:49 PM #7
      This system is not magnetic, you're right. Instead it uses rods which tighten up and loosen based on the settings. Here's a great detailed explanation of the system:
      https://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswag...n-and-function
      Thanks for the link, very descriptive. It almost seems like the ticking noise get worst after I go thru a rough patch of road and when suspension setting is in comfort.

10. 10-10-2019 01:34 PM #8
      I don't want to jinx myself but I think I found my rattle, it is coming from the clam shell hood. I put felt tape on the left and right side of the hood's edge and the rattle is gone. I wonder if the hood is mis-aligned or the latch needs adjustment. It took me a while to pinpoint this rattle, 5 months, as rattles has a way of playing tricks on your ear, I was sure it was coming from either the suspension or the driver door, I even had the dealer look for shipping blocks and took apart my door looking for loose parts. At this point, the car is quiet, I am debating if I should let the dealer try to fix it or leave it the way it is. Any input will be appreciated.
      Last edited by The G Man; 10-10-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      10-10-2019 01:41 PM #9
      I don't want to jinx myself but I think I found my rattle, it is coming from the clam shell hood. I put felt tape on the left and right side of the hood's edge and the rattle is gone. I wonder if the hood is mis-aligned or the latch needs adjustment. It took me a while to pinpoint this rattle, 5 months, as rattles has a way of playing tricks on your ear, I was sure it was coming from either the suspension or the driver door, I even had the dealer look for shipping blocks and took apart my door looking for loose parts. At this point, the car is quiet, I am debating if I should let the dealer try to fix it or leave it the way it is. Any input will be appreciated.
      The hood certainly is complicated. With it being clamshell, and having the pyrotechnic tech, there's a lot of chance for it to go out of alignment. If I recall, MDiddy had to have his aligned because the door was hitting the hood edge and scraping it.

If the felt tape is working, I would leave it be. The dealership will likely make it worse while trying to make it better. Just my .02 cents.

12. 10-11-2019 08:36 AM #10
      The hood certainly is complicated. With it being clamshell, and having the pyrotechnic tech, there's a lot of chance for it to go out of alignment. If I recall, MDiddy had to have his aligned because the door was hitting the hood edge and scraping it.

If the felt tape is working, I would leave it be. The dealership will likely make it worse while trying to make it better. Just my .02 cents.
      I saw those pyrotechnic releases, there are two additional latches on the side of the hood, looks very complicated. I believe the car's chassis does flex a bit too much for my liking. Maybe the MQB needs additional stiffening in the Arteon's application.