VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

FS: 1980 Rabbit Pickup "Sportruck" Early Westy

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JELL-O Bunny 
#1 · (Edited)
SOLD SOLD SOLD to a young local fellow 🤶

FS: 1980 VW Mk1 Rabbit Pickup “Sportruck” Early Westy in original LO41 Black with an 08/80 build date

1.6 gas w/ 58,xxx original miles
5 speed

Sportruck Package: very original and complete with wood grain interior trim with working tachometer, Wolfsburg steering wheel, and fully functional center console that has battery voltage, clock, and temperature. Factory paint with OE decals that glow at night when shined with light (fav part)!!!!

I started this rescue when I bought it in northern California 2 years ago. Original California truck that sold at the Boardwalk Volkswagen dealer in Redwood City, CA. I was told that it spent most of its life up in the Bay Area, and had been sitting in a field for the last 15-20 years. When it arrived at my house, I quickly learned that the last owner was a construction worker that loved cassette tapes and cigarettes. I put a battery in it and half a gallon of fresh gasoline and the little guy fired up after a few attempts, but running poorly. Beyond filthy and things were falling apart, Sportruck from hell. 38 years of neglect sitting in my driveway, I knew it was going to be a huge project so it was either sell it or fix it. 1980 Sportruck was always a dream of mine, so I shipped it to Nevada where it underwent through an extensive mechanical makeover to make it reliable. I enjoy camping and taking cross country road trips, so being able to turn the key and drive an old forgotten truck anywhere was my goal. Almost everything has been replaced, it’s been a heck of a project.

Since rescuing it from NorCal, the following has been replaced:
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Distributor cap + rotor
Pertronix electronic ignition kit
Ignition switch
Air filter
Fuel filter
Braided fuel lines
Fuel injectors
Bosch fuel pump
Fuel tank (cleaned resealed and painted with truck bed liner for extra protection)
Timing Belt with tensioner
Water pump + housing
All new coolant hoses
Radiator (heavy duty)
Radiator card
Coolant expansion tank + coolant
Radiator fan
Low temp fan switch
Low temperature thermostat
Clutch kit
Clutch cable
Oil Pan + gasket
Oil seals NOS
Valve cover gasket
KYB struts front + rear
Strut bearings
Strut dampers
Front rotors
Brake brembo pads
Brake calipers
Metal brake lines
Front wheel bearings
Rubber brake lines
Brake booster
Master cylinder + brake fluid
Brake switches
Rear brembo drums
Rear brake hardware
Brake shoes
Steering boots
Steering column
All new motor mounts
Transmission mount
Front rubber mount
Outer CV boot
Outer CV joint
Inner CV boot
Lower ball joints
Vacuum hoses
Control arms
Oil pump
Pedal assembly
Heater valve
Bumperettes
Front bumper outer rub strips
Temperature gauge repaired
Fuel gauge repaired
Tachometer repaired
Throttle body cleaned and gasket replaced Windshield replaced
Bosch wipers
Oil pressure switch
Headlight baskets
Headlight trim
Battery
Bosch alternator
Alternator belt
Brakes flushed, vacuum bled and refilled with ATE Blue
Rearview interior mirror
Vanagon mirrors
Wolfsburg horn button
Rewire the rear right taillight
Front license plate holder
‘80 dash replacement (old one was beyond cracked, kept original cluster to keep track of original mileage)
Dash mat for protection
Headliner redone
Rabbit floor mats
Rabbit mud flaps
14 inch Snowflake wheels
Snowflake center caps
Hankook Optimo H724 tires 2kish miles
Camper shell (side windows open close and lock, rear window opens closes and locks with a key)
5 speed transmission code FF with linkages
Transmission seals
Gearbox oil
Shifter bushing kit
Neuspeed strut bar and K-bar
Strut caps
Catalytic converter
Radio antenna
Kill switch

This trucks’ inside had not been cleaned since the 90s, so I pulled out the interior and began to clean. Some good ol’ fashioned cleaning and serious elbow grease went into saving this pickup. The interior is where you also get a good look. It is fully complete with Sportruck only accesories. The paint is original, soap is all I have used wash it and has cleaned up pretty good compared to the day I got it.

Things to note:
-not a show truck by any means
-heavy patina and a few rusty areas shown in pictures
-passenger side jackpoint has rust, I have been very careful and have not had problems
-needs a $5 brake switch, as the light indicating that the E-brake is in use is always lit
-the floor mats in the picture belong to my other rabbit, I’ll include a set of black mats for the right buyer
-VW Rabbit Pickup blue plate has been sold
-original grille will be put back on

I currently drive it a minimum of 15 miles a day during the week and have been doing so for a year and a half with no problems. I would not hesitate to drive this truck anywhere. With the work done, it is not that slow for a 1.6 gas. It idles nice, quiet motor, accelerates smooth, and shifts nicely. The 5 speed gives a comfy 75 mph. It responds very well and stays super cool, I have never seen the temp gauge go above half way, even driving through the Death Valley in the summer in 115 degree weather. I have daily driven it locally and all over SoCal, freeway, desert, and mountains and handles like a champ. Mechanically it has been fully gone through. Everything works well and drives great. I have 1 key that opens doors and ignition, and 2 keys for the rear window of the camper shell. I will also include my receipts, ’80 pickup owners manual, and original Boardwalk VW dealer plate frame. I believe I also have a box with extra parts that came with the truck when I purchased it. Just remembered that I also have a handful of receipts for work done at Boardwalk VW in 1994.

This ad is a for sale ad, but also a serious feeler. It is really hard for me to let this one go due to the bond that has grown between us, so I can change my mind at any moment. The work was done at a reputable VW/Audi restoration shop in Pahrump, Nevada….the two brothers there Frank and Vic have been working on Mk1’s since the 70s so they have a lot of experience with rabbits. Final touches were made by Hammy Carter at the local VW Treffen Shop. German parts were used and I have pictures to show the process throughout. I had the work done to keep and enjoy it, I do not have the need to sell. Would be nice to free up space to begin preservation on my swallowtail, that is the only reason I’m even considering this. Clean CA title in my name with current registration.

$7,500.......fly in and drive it home

Truck is located in Los Angeles CA

Call/text 3237122640

Can't upload pictures, click the link below for pictures:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/montebello-1980-volkswagen-sportruck-mk1/6978267929.html

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.