Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: G60 Tuning Help

Vehicles
      1991 G60 Corrado, 2006 5sp Golf, 1982 VW Rabbit GTI
      09-26-2019 03:32 PM #1
      My G60 has had no mods.
      Since I've bought it I've had an issue with the "CAT" warning light coming on almost instantly.
      I've got time this weekend and plan on having an old buddy help me diagnose.
      The timing belt, spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires were replaced 30000kms ago and nothing changed.
      Car was getting 6L/100kms leisurely drives - 9.5L/100kms pushing it, so seems good.
      Just replaced the charger with a Stage II-III one (while I save to rebuild it with BBM) keeping the pulley and chip unchanged.
      Before replacing plugs, cap, rotor and wires I hoped to address what this could be.

Should I remove the ISV and clean/soak?
      If so, what's the best way?
      Some say to do an ISV delete, but I prefer to keep everything stock.
      Still appreciate your remarks...
      I do still have original charcoal filter and hoses running (have had some recommend removing this)

Buddy has a timing light so also want to check and verify the timing is correct.
      Appreciate response on the best way to do this.
      Either in your own words or opinion on the best link to use for neither him or I have ever done so on a G60.

Thanks in advance for your help
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
      But rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn-out and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      10-20-2019 06:09 PM #2
      All checks out, timing is as outlined in the Bentley.

Any ideas why my CAT lights comes on right away and stays on?
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
      But rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn-out and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride!!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 1992 Passat Syncro Wagon
      11-18-2019 01:14 AM #3
      I have never seen a CAT light in a G60 Corrado. Are you sure that is what the light stands for? Maybe post a picture?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      90 G60 (since new) 93+VR 13 GTI
      11-19-2019 06:28 PM #4
      You must be talking about the exclamation mark light (!) found on euro clusters. That means a brake issue.

Vehicles
      11-20-2019 02:45 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mateok View Post
      You must be talking about the exclamation mark light (!) found on euro clusters. That means a brake issue.
      No, the light is on the right of the steering, right below the fog light and defrost switches. It's a round plastic light with the word "CAT" next to the light piece.

Vehicles
      11-20-2019 02:46 PM #6
      I can't upload images on here, but could send one to your email.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 1992 Passat Syncro Wagon
      11-21-2019 01:22 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by T~Roc View Post
      No, the light is on the right of the steering, right below the fog light and defrost switches. It's a round plastic light with the word "CAT" next to the light piece.
      So I looked in my 1990 Corrado Volkswagen Owners Manual. On page 46, it shows the switches and they are from top to bottom:
      1. Brake/ABS warning light
      2. Fog light switch
      3. Rear window defrost switch
      4. Heated seat switches (left and right)

It seems to me that someone (previous owner) has added the CAT light for something???

I know for a fact that there is nothing in the ECU code that does anything regarding a catalytic converter.

Vehicles
      11-21-2019 09:22 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by DigiMatrix View Post
      So I looked in my 1990 Corrado Volkswagen Owners Manual. On page 46, it shows the switches and they are from top to bottom:
      2. Fog light switch

It seems to me that someone (previous owner) has added the CAT light for something???

I know for a fact that there is nothing in the ECU code that does anything regarding a catalytic converter.
      Possibly, but EVERYTHING on this car has been original and my mechanic buddy seemed sure it was included in the making.
      Other '91s have shown a different cluster also.
      Mine is metric, shows 55L tank, 110C temp and kms/h but it's a VDO (digital odometer) which I've not seen on any NA ones over the years.
      My car is a Euro-spec, could it be different due to that?
      Car is now in storage so I'll have to wait until spring to pop out the piece to verify whether it looks like someone has added it in.
      Could send you a pic by email.

Vehicles
      11-21-2019 10:37 AM #9
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ems-u-may-have

3 posts down there's a pic by G60ING showing his switches that have a brake light where my "CAT" light is.

14 posts down on this same page there's a pic of a dash with switches by HumboldtCorrado.
      This one shows "brake" at top where as mine has "ABS" in that spot.
      Then fogs, defrost, and where his has "headlight leveller" switch mine has this "CAT" light.

Same thread, but on page 5 there's a pic by G0to60 showing a brochure of a G60 dash.
      His is also "14" posts down lol
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...may-have/page5
      Tough to make out what switches are there, but it might be a light like mine there.

Gotta one day do that hosting thing for my pics lol
      Could I email it to ya and have you post it here?
      Last edited by T~Roc; 11-21-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Vehicles
      11-21-2019 08:22 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DigiMatrix View Post
      2. Fog light switch

When we replaced the CAT underneath, we used one that had the same connection for what we thought was a connection wire for a sensor.
      It still lights up when starting as it did before replacing.
      We replaced all ignition wires, plugs, cap & rotor and checked that the timing was correct in the Bentley.
      Still smelled like it was running lean but it runs at the correct idle.
      I'll have to wait til spring to verify it's a dummy aftermarket add-on done by a PO.

Be happy as hell that this was a dummy, but asking on the forum to ensure this is true.
      So if I keep getting responses that it's NOT correct over the winter it'll strengthen the reasoning to remove it, especially if it serves no sense.

Pic can be seen here
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ay-have/page33

Others side with your thoughts.
      As I said, I'm just wishing to know that it IS just a ridiculous add-on from the PO.

Thanks