VWVortex.com - Rear main
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rear main

1. 10-01-2019 04:49 AM #1
      Hi. Iím doing the clutch and rms on my 2001 RS4. The housings are different. Am I to assume I simply change the seal or should I remove the seal housing too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-01-2019 06:55 AM #2
      Huh? Remove entire flange. Install new flange. Remove install tool. Done.

4. 10-01-2019 07:17 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by V a V jetta W 3 6 View Post
      Huh? Remove entire flange. Install new flange. Remove install tool. Done.

Crap sorry I just woke up. Yea you needed to buy just the seal not the entire flange. Just carefully press the seal out of the new one and carefully press it in the old one then install with install tool. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 10-01-2019 09:52 AM #4
      Thanks. I thought so.
      Iíve been lucky with past rms replacements. I wonder why my car has a different flange?
      Iím totally new to Aud so Iím a bit intimidated. I am well acquainted with Porsche and Benz.
      Im doing this at home with a floor jack and 3
      Jack stands, 1 was stolen.

7. 10-01-2019 10:35 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by t3japan View Post
      Thanks. I thought so.
      Iíve been lucky with past rms replacements. I wonder why my car has a different flange?
      Iím totally new to Aud so Iím a bit intimidated. I am well acquainted with Porsche and Benz.
      Im doing this at home with a floor jack and 3
      Jack stands, 1 was stolen.
      You bought the s4 flange. You need the rs4 flange.

8. 10-02-2019 06:57 AM #6
      That appears to be the case. I this the differences between the S4 and RS4 were all internal. Any other differences? Iím about to order a timing belt kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. 10-02-2019 06:59 AM #7
      I really want to put this thing back together. It not leaking and Iím not sure I can remove the seal from the flange without damaging it. So probably best I leave it alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi S4
      10-09-2019 09:45 AM #8
      the B5 platform is kinda crappy like that. Do you do it now so you don't have to do it later...?? its a hard choice with everything. Especially the S4/RS4, its so tight in there and such a pain in the ass I normally change things while I'm in there so I don't have to pull a trans or something over the winter.. If its not leaking and your itching then I would say start buttoning her up. the rear main usually isn't a thing that goes out often like valve cover gaskets (not to mention its one of those things that need to be installed perfect or it will leak). It will more than likely last you until your next clutch service. for the other parts (like the timing kits) I use a mixture of ECS and this link: https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/ to determine part numbers and compatibility. I'm 80% sure the timing belt/ tensioner/ rollers are the same but definitely do your research before spending the grand or whatever on parts. also just an FYI be sure that you replace the thermostat cover thing with a metal one if you have a plastic one. the plastic ones get brittle and break, the metal one will last you forever. congrats on the RS4, I'm very jelly.

11. 10-14-2019 11:34 PM #9
      Thanks. I manage to use a new roll of shipping tape which was the same size as the seal. 3 taps and it popped out. So I pulled the original seal, using the packing disk I made sure the lip didnít fold.
      4 hours to put it back in with the help of my woman to guid and adjust. Of course I forgot the big spacer ring. Pulled it back enough to slide the ring in then again used my legs to push the tranny in.
      Torqued it all down and she runs well. Goes into all gears and reverse smoothly.
      Next oil and filter changes.
      While waiting for parts I installed a B6 stereo but canít get any sound. I pulled the rear left trim but couldnít find an amp. Does it come with an amp? What should be installed at the end of this red connector