VWVortex.com - Lexus GX460 - Learn me and is it worth it?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lexus GX460 - Learn me and is it worth it?

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      10-03-2019 04:20 PM #1
      As my German-engineered, British-built motorcar spends another day in workshop purgatory, I am fantasizing about what it might be like to own a "set it and forget it" style of car for my daily commute. My wife has a one-year old Subaru which I love, but it's hers, and she needs the versatility for the schlepping side of her work. I'm not really keen on a second car payment, however it may be necessary as we're trying to reserve cash for a house.

TFL stuff out of the way, what's the collective opinion on a Lexus GX? Can someone clarify the difference between the GX460 and GX470 (besides "ten")? The later they get the uglier they get, so something older than a 2014 is probably what'd I'd be looking at. That said, prices are kind of eye-watering, even for trucks with 100K plus miles. So I ask, thee, oh Loungers - ya think its worth it?

The appeal is that aside from timing belt/water pump on the V8, it's pretty bullet proof. I don't know how well the interior trim holds up, but it seems to be okay, even if it lacks a little bit of dash stroker appeal. I like the fact that it's a big wagon body and I could chuck bicycles in the back without much thought. Honestly, if I had one, the 2nd row seats would be folded 99% of the time, because I'm usually bringing a bicycle with me to work. The off-road ability is less of a factor but nice for cred and perhaps we take it on a long road trip to OBX one day.

Downsides? Fuel. When things do go wrong you pay for the beefier parts. Tires. Questionable handling (not that I plan to autocross it). Cost of entry. But is that offset by relatively strong resale value and an enthusiast following?

Learn my oh wise ones.

Pic of someone's bazillion dollar fantasy rig for giggles:

I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      10-03-2019 04:57 PM #2
      I don't know all that much about them, but they are neat. They also can drift...

I briefly looked into one of these as well, but seem to have settled on an Infiniti FX/QX70 for an interesting and inefficient SUV.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-03-2019 04:59 PM #3
      My Mother in Law has one and has had it for several years now. She is not a car person in the least so, while her GX460 isn't neglected, she doesn't pamper it at all. I've driven it a few times and it is super comfortable on long trips. It does decently well on forest roads that get a bit bumpy. The gas mileage flat out sucks but that can be expected from a large, 4WD, V8 SUV.

The only issue I remember her having was something to do with the ignition or spark plugs. Not exactly sure but it wasn't a huge deal apparently when she got it fixed.

5. 10-03-2019 05:05 PM #4
      4.6L vs. 4.7L

Vehicles
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      10-03-2019 06:21 PM #5
      Your pic is of a GX470, so there is that.

We've had our 2012 GX460 Premium for 2 years and 20,000 miles now and we love it. Gas mileage isn't great, fuel tank capacity could be more, infotainment is outdated, Ercu interior isn't the best for dogs/kids.

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      10-03-2019 06:42 PM #6
      I bought a Sequoia instead. Cheaper, bigger and still Toyota reliable. Tires for trucks may cost more but they can last a long time. As far as handling goes, I did autocross my old leaf sprung K5 blazer a few times. The IFS, rack and pinion and rear coils practically make my Sequoia a sports car in comparison.

If you want cheap and reliable, get a CamCord.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      10-03-2019 06:46 PM #7
      V6 Rav4 or RX350 will do the same stuff for you at lower cost.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      10-03-2019 07:28 PM #8
      Another alternative is a 4Runner. I was also looking at GXs, but as I didn't need the 7 seats, and the extra price, a 5th gen 4Runner ticked all of the right boxes. It's a little more sluggish than the GX460, has only 5 spds, but it's otherwise the same frame, same quality, reliability and durability. Gas mileage is slightly better as well. And it's very comfortable (mine is KDSS equipped) and is pretty well insulated, making for a very comfortable daily driver. And the resale is awesome too. Mine is a 2014, and it looks and feel brand new.

But I don't think you can go wrong with the GX, if it's what you ultimately desire. It's a great truck.

10. 10-03-2019 07:40 PM #9
      I had a 2013 GX460 for a while.

- Most reliable vehicle you’ll ever own

- You don’t drive it, you navigate it

- it’s common to use 87 octane on these, with absolutely zero negative effect.

- everything about it is top notch, tightly built. Would buy again.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      10-03-2019 07:58 PM #10
      I say go for it!

I love the GX. Visit ih8mud.com forums for more reading. People will say it's old, infotainment/interior is outdated, etc. They are right, but these are GX strengths - exactly the reason it's reliable, perfect vehicle for true 4x4, overlanding, SUV stuff. I love the idea of a GX460 with BFG KO2's and maybe a mild OME (Old Man Emu) 1.5" suspension/lift. Done. Now you can go just about anywhere & have all the "real SUV" cred you'd ever need. Even better is most don't know what the GX is (Prado) so you can buy them off lease from soccer moms all day long. I look for Premium or Luxury trim will all the active diff/hill decent features. There is a known vacuum line issue, but do some reading...it isn't a big fix even if it does fail.

IMO, there are sporty SUVs - Macan, Stelvio, FX/QX70 - which make no pretense about actually being SUVs. Then there are real, offroad SUVs - GX, Jeeps, Land/Range Rover, etc. - which make no pretense about being "crossovers". If you can look at SUVs through these lenses, all the better. Trying to do both with one vehicle gets tricky and/or expensive.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Hellcat Charger, 993 C2, 2005 GX470
      10-04-2019 12:10 PM #11
      Love our mall crawler.

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      10-04-2019 01:06 PM #12
      When we had our third kid, I sold my S8 and moved into 'set it and forget it' mode with the Land Cruiser. It's been over 5 years and I'm still really happy with the decision.

Only reasons I can think not to do a GX would be the lack of new tech, piss poor fuel economy (The 4.7 in my 100 series averages around 12mpg), and the barn door in the rear (I've heard people complain when parking is tight). If you're ok with those characteristics, then go for it. I still prefer the look of the 470 vs. the newer 460, also the earlier 470s could be had without navigation which I see as a plus. The Toyota navigation is coupled with the HVAC, radio, and phone controls so, if you have it, you're generally stuck with it.

My Toyota has been dead reliable, but it does require it's fair share of preventative maintenance and, while Toyota parts aren't as expensive as other imports, I wouldn't call them cheap either. Also, check for rust.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-04-2019 01:33 PM #13
      I love my GX, it's the best daily I've ever owned. I'll gladly sacrifice 16mpg of 92 octane (mostly city driving) for the stability, power, comfort, offroad capability, and quality I get.

My only gripe is that parts can get expensive really quickly compared to a Toyota. Lexus has a lot of complex systems on their SUVs that most Toyotas don't, and 50% of the parts are Lexus only. Budget for additional maintenance and you'll be fine.

As for the 470 vs 460, it's a budget thing these days.

470s are now 11-17 years old and can be found from the low $20k range for a flawless 2009, down to $5k for a beat 2003. The 470 feels a bit more truck-like to me, even though both are BOF SUVs.

The 460 feels a bit more isolated, but comfortable and refined. You also get much better tech in a 460. I've seen 460s priced as low as $15k for a thrashed example, but you'll easily be in the mid $20k range for a decent one.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      10-04-2019 01:36 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      V6 Rav4 or RX350 will do the same stuff for you at lower cost.
      Not really interested in either.

Vehicles
      10-04-2019 01:37 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Your pic is of a GX470, so there is that.

We've had our 2012 GX460 Premium for 2 years and 20,000 miles now and we love it. Gas mileage isn't great, fuel tank capacity could be more, infotainment is outdated, Ercu interior isn't the best for dogs/kids.

So what's the year differences between the 460/470?

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-04-2019 01:42 PM #16
      And I guess I'll whore mine out a bit too...

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-04-2019 01:43 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      So what's the year differences between the 460/470?
      GX470: 2003-2009

GX460: 2010-present

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-04-2019 01:59 PM #18
      Something I just thought of after reading the OP again...

On my 470, I have the 3rd row removed and stored but the second row is in place. I'm 6'-0" tall and therefore have my driver's seat back a bit, and in that position I absolutely cannot fold the second row seat fully forward and out of the way. It runs into the driver's seat, and I have to slide the seat at least 6" forward to make it work.

This is one bane of Toyota products in general... They cannot seem to realize that Americans aren't all 5'-6" tall.

20. 10-04-2019 02:03 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post

Looks very rugged I like

Vehicles
      10-04-2019 02:20 PM #20
      Seems that people really love 'em. I have seen the complaints about the outdated tech - particularly in trucks with Nav that incorporate the HVAC in that silly screen. Not ideal, but I'd rather have that function in a Toyota than in a BMW! Lol!

The reason I'm leaning toward them is it offers the reliability, but it's still a little off-piste in terms of normal SUVs. I know myself well enough to realize that any-old crossover will not appeal to me in the least even if it's just an appliance. I like my appliances to work, of course, but I also want them to be satisfying to use. It's also a nice size - big but not unwieldy as we do make occasional jaunts into the city and I still want to be able to park the thing.

So the 470 is the early one. 460 is the new one... anything with the Predator face is off the list for being too ugly and too expensive.

Vehicles
      10-04-2019 02:23 PM #21
      Something I just thought of after reading the OP again...

On my 470, I have the 3rd row removed and stored but the second row is in place. I'm 6'-0" tall and therefore have my driver's seat back a bit, and in that position I absolutely cannot fold the second row seat fully forward and out of the way. It runs into the driver's seat, and I have to slide the seat at least 6" forward to make it work.

This is one bane of Toyota products in general... They cannot seem to realize that Americans aren't all 5'-6" tall.

I love your truck!

And thank you for that tidbit of information. I will definitely check out the seating situation when it comes time to shop. I'm just over 6' and my wife is 6' 3" so we need some leg room.

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      10-04-2019 02:44 PM #22

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-04-2019 02:45 PM #23
      Seems that people really love 'em. I have seen the complaints about the outdated tech - particularly in trucks with Nav that incorporate the HVAC in that silly screen. Not ideal, but I'd rather have that function in a Toyota than in a BMW! Lol!

The reason I'm leaning toward them is it offers the reliability, but it's still a little off-piste in terms of normal SUVs. I know myself well enough to realize that any-old crossover will not appeal to me in the least even if it's just an appliance. I like my appliances to work, of course, but I also want them to be satisfying to use. It's also a nice size - big but not unwieldy as we do make occasional jaunts into the city and I still want to be able to park the thing.

So the 470 is the early one. 460 is the new one... anything with the Predator face is off the list for being too ugly and too expensive.
      Personally, the Mark Levinson audio upgrade is well worth the Nav package. There is a small risk of the head unit failing and losing your HVAC controls but at that point you can either retrofit manual HVAC controls (~$600, not too difficult) or install a Chinese head unit that's kind of a big Tesla-style touchscreen.

The Predator Face began for 2014 models, so you'd want a 2010-2013 GX460 to avoid that.

I love your truck!

And thank you for that tidbit of information. I will definitely check out the seating situation when it comes time to shop. I'm just over 6' and my wife is 6' 3" so we need some leg room.
      Thank you! I keep it pretty stock, it's not my wheeler so I avoid beating on it. Small spacer to level the front suspension, wheels and tires, and that's it. Well, that and Wet Okole sear covers/Weathertech mats inside. And a Bluetooth audio module.

It's a 2007 and I shopped pretty hard to find the lowest mile, best maintained example I could afford back in late 2016 when I got it. As with most Toyota products, pay the price for a well documented example and you'll be better off in the long run.

I can't say what the seat folding situation looks like on the 460 so definitely try it in person.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      10-04-2019 02:50 PM #24
      A “known” issue on the 470 is the main seals are getting old and pretty fragile. My seal went, and took the alternator with it. I had to replace the seals, alternator, and timing belt/water pump. $1700 later, I’m looking at 5ish more years of problem-free driving.

Some things to consider: infotainment is comically bad. You can get a factory BT module for streaming, but I just use a Bluetooth streamer that plugs into the AUX port. I was fine with the barn door until I tried loading the truck after a Costco run during a severe thunderstorm: you and the hatch are completely exposed to the elements. My mileage with +1 A/T tires is in the 10-13 range (all city) and the BEST highway mpg I’ve seen was 15-16. I have yet to see a GX470 without noticeable wear on the leather of the driver’s seat and the steering wheel.

Some advice I read when I got mine: get the 3-row b/c you’ll also get rear a/c, which is a lifesaver in the summer. I took out the 3rd row seats when I got it and never put them back in (it seriously impedes on cargo space). If you want to add an aftermarket head unit with modern goodies, don’t get one with NAV. There was a TSB for a driveline thunk and dealers were replacing driveshafts for free. Mine was never done, so every once in a while, it’ll lurch forward at a stop light (it feels like someone tapped you from behind). The rear air suspension WILL leak/break; you can replace them with coils for pretty cheap.

All in all, it’s been a good truck and if you’re willing to put up with all its faults (awful mileage, barn door during storms, expensive timing belt), it should last you a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      10-04-2019 02:53 PM #25
      I’d just get a 4Runner. Toyota cheaper service, parts, same or better reliability(less electronics), marginally better mpgs, and cloth/leatherette durability.

The leather in older versions of this and the GX are likely badly worn, if not torn by now....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast