VWVortex.com - Cheap E24 M6? Nope, because idiots.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap E24 M6? Nope, because idiots.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      10-05-2019 09:58 PM #1
      Thanks to DiamondDave this came to me at 580 bucks, 48hrs later its at 7700. Nope.

Storage unit sale.

87 M6, hit in every panel except the doors, trunk and the front pass fender. Off the road since 07, 118K-ish.

https://www.lockerfox.com/auctions/d...-XGnzLd3ytAUf4

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      10-05-2019 10:06 PM #2
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-05-2019 10:47 PM #3
      I'm pretty sure that an open auction, with the highest bidder winning the product, is the utmost example of capitalist market pricing.

Any particular item is worth the most that one person is willing to pay at that time... and if that person is happy and willing to pay it, I wouldn't call them an idiot.

Vehicles
      autonomous driving and holographs will let us once again watch ayrton senna drive in the rain.
      10-05-2019 11:20 PM #4
      Yeah i’ve noticed this a lot on online auction sites. I’m guessing people think they’re going to resell something for a lot of money and end up just taking the loss when they realize they bought something for market price. That or maybe this will be an expensive parts car?

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-06-2019 02:36 AM #5
      I’d be super leery of a car with a hand built engine (which could be fine, or it could have a window in the block), and that you cannot see into the interior (which could be a disaster).

Given that, and that it needs body/paint work, I’d say $7700 is a very strong bid.

Vehicles
      S60, Z/28
      10-06-2019 11:57 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I’d be super leery of a car with a hand built engine (which could be fine, or it could have a window in the block), and that you cannot see into the interior (which could be a disaster).

Given that, and that it needs body/paint work, I’d say $7700 is a very strong bid.
      It’s still sitting on TRX Michelin’s. Up to a point it was cared for. But the unfixed minor dents and stuck antenna scream “I ran out of money and need to hide my M6 so the repo guy doesn’t find it”.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      10-06-2019 12:08 PM #7
      No keys, no title, don't know if it is running. What could possibly go wrong?

9. 10-06-2019 01:33 PM #8
      Hmmm love these especially with the BBS wheels. Forgot what old movie had one in red

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      10-06-2019 02:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      Thanks to DiamondDave this came to me at 580 bucks, 48hrs later its at 7700. Nope.

Storage unit sale.

87 M6, hit in every panel except the doors, trunk and the front pass fender. Off the road since 07, 118K-ish.
      A neat barn find-ish story at the right price for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

Remember, these are detuned race engines from the M1. I wouldn't exactly call them fragile. However, yes, if you are buying a used, high-strung Motorsports car that looks like it hasn't moved in 12yrs+ (my experience is that cars were off the road long before the tags expired), you're going to have some real costs to go through and bring it up to date.
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-06-2019 03:06 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      A neat barn find-ish story at the right price for someone.

Remember, these are detuned race engines from the M1. I wouldn't exactly call them fragile. However, yes, if you are buying a used, high-strung Motorsports car that looks like it hasn't moved in 12yrs+ (my experience is that cars were off the road long before the tags expired), you're going to have some real costs to go through and bring it up to date.
      I totally understand the allure of the M6, but the issue with this is you have zero idea as to whether the motor is good or not—is that the reason it was stuffed in a storage unit in the first place?

Not to mention the body and paint work if you want a really nice car...which = $$$$$.

I dunno, at five figures it’s a roll of the dice for someone. Just not me.

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      10-06-2019 07:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by a n d r e a s View Post
      Yeah i’ve noticed this a lot on online auction sites. I’m guessing people think they’re going to resell something for a lot of money and end up just taking the loss when they realize they bought something for market price. That or maybe this will be an expensive parts car?
      Yes, and then yes.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      10-06-2019 09:31 PM #12
      They can keep it.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      10-06-2019 09:36 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post

Storage unit sale.

What were you expecting, exactly?
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      10-06-2019 09:50 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      What were you expecting, exactly?
      I'm guessing for it not to be afflicted with BaT disease before we even know if it has an engine?
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      10-07-2019 09:12 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      I'm guessing for it not to be afflicted with BaT disease before we even know if it has an engine?
      Ooo wouldn't that be something lol.

Today the OP learned that things sold in auctions generally sell for more than the opening bid.

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      10-07-2019 09:30 AM #16
      Did Ebay ever address the seller pumping up price with fake bids, then offering the item to the highest real bidder for slightly less than the bs sold at bid because "buyer backed out " scam?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Bolt
      10-07-2019 11:56 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Did Ebay ever address the seller pumping up price with fake bids, then offering the item to the highest real bidder for slightly less than the bs sold at bid because "buyer backed out " scam?
      You know that’s not a scam as the definition exists, right?

You’re under no obligation to buy it at your last highest bid. You can negotiate it down, come to your senses and not buy at all, or anything in between.

Yes it’s unethical to pump your auction with fake bids, but this isn’t a scam.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-07-2019 12:01 PM #18
      Shill bidding, if it is obvious and can be proven, will get a seller kicked off eBay pretty quickly.

But that's also a possibility in any auction. The easy solution is to bid what you're willing to pay, and if the bidding goes higher you stick to your initial maximum and let someone else have it. If the highest bid is fake the seller won't sell it.

20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      10-07-2019 12:37 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      You know that’s not a scam as the definition exists, right?
      You're under no obligation to buy anything ever.
      I call it a scam because they are intentionally misleading the actual bidders and breaking ebay rules.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      10-07-2019 03:27 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      Yes it’s unethical to pump your auction with fake bids, but this isn’t a scam.
      While you aren't wrong, I think you missed the point that a shill bidder put a higher "winning bid" that obviously drives the perception of price up higher. Then they go to the snd highest bidder acting like "the car is worth it as you can see by the bidding, would you come in at your last bid or a little higher"?
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      10-08-2019 01:59 AM #21
      It's up to around 9K at this point. You could still part out the motor and make money but getting it on the road again would probably be a fools errand unless one wanted this as their forever dream car.

I have seen a full S38 rebuild and cost wise you would be better off rebuilding a Porsche 930 motor. Simple stuff like lifter shims for this thing just arent available for normal money. It's a very special motor and the reason I went with a 635csi instead of a M6. Sure, its not as cool but its as reliable as mail truck.

For 3-4k though color me interested.

23. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-08-2019 02:06 AM #22
      Yeah S38 costs have me scared. In 2013 when I got my E9, I had passed on an M6. I was scared of a low mile car that had sat for years after the owner passed and left it to his kids. Waking an S38 up back from the dead can cost some moooooney.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      10-08-2019 02:18 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Yeah S38 costs have me scared. In 2013 when I got my E9, I had passed on an M6. I was scared of a low mile car that had sat for years after the owner passed and left it to his kids. Waking an S38 up back from the dead can cost some moooooney.
      Big money. Like a 930 topend is about the same at 15-18K.

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      10-08-2019 07:48 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      While you aren't wrong, I think you missed the point that a shill bidder put a higher "winning bid" that obviously drives the perception of price up higher. Then they go to the snd highest bidder acting like "the car is worth it as you can see by the bidding, would you come in at your last bid or a little higher"?
      FWIW, I don't know if that was ever an issue on car auctions.
      Big price items may attract more attention from ebay if sketchy.
      Also, high seller ratings for cars are harder to come by and keep, so sellers may not think it worth the risk.
      I mainly saw that type of action on sub $200 items.

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      10-09-2019 10:13 AM #25
      I tried to sell a collectible motorcycle a couple years ago on ebay. If I recall it correctly, I had to reject bids from users with low or zero feedback to get an actual buyer. Otherwise it just got bid-up a little past market value and then ... the low/no feedback user would never respond. It was beyond stupid, and it had nothing to do with me. I'm still unsure who it served to make fake bids and derail an auction for a bike that only a handful of people ever wanted anyway, but it was totally unhelpful to me.

That's just to say that for some reason it's not always the seller pumping invalid bids higher.
      call it potatography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast