VWVortex.com - 16V 020 clutch rod? new clutch issues
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 16V 020 clutch rod? new clutch issues

1. 10-06-2019 11:26 PM #1
      Rabbit truck with 16V swap and 16V trans.
      old clutch disk center started coming apart and a little chunk of the center metal was stuck between the disk and the flywheel.
      Installed a South Bend Stage 2. this was a Sachs plate painted red and a better Sachs disk, new release plate, new release bearing, new clutch finger, new rod. I also changed to a better used clutch cable and rebushed the 16V pedal cluster with some dead ringer replacements from McMaster Carr cause the VW part is NLA.

With everything back together it is not right.

At rest, the clutch finger is about 1/2" away from the bearing surface - this is over 1/2 the total required travel taking up free play
      Cable does not have enough adjustment to tighten up
      Raising the lever to about 0900 position gets the slack out and I am compressing the plate with the pedal but I sure it is not far enough (run out of pedal travel)
      truck is still on stands and I have not started it.

So in a moment of brilliance I decided to shim the throw out bearing to remove free play. I took another throw out bearing and ground off all the the plastic tube that faced the clutch and ended up with about a 5/8" stubby throw out bearing which I chucked in behind the existing bearing and replaced the finger and that took up the slack but it still does not feel right. I am resigned to pulling the trans again.

Two questions:

Does South Bend tweek the pressure plate which could possibly change the install distance of the release plate and move it closer to the crank, thus created more distance between the release plate and the Throwout Bearing?

What about the cable? I see some places like Rock Auto have different cables listed for late Scirocco 8V vs 16V Others like TT sell the same cable for either. Like the original clutch, the clutch cables are stuff I have have collected and I am not sure any of them came from a 16V.
      Does it matter?

Thanks for any insight

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      92 GTI 16V
      10-08-2019 10:32 PM #2
      Maybe: The rubber spacer that goes on the firewall?
      1992 VW GTI 16v
      Montronic Digi 1
      9A 2.0L

4. 10-09-2019 10:41 AM #3
      you say it doesn't feel right even after you shimmed the release bearing. in what way? brand new clutches never feel right until they have bedded in a little.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 10-09-2019 10:46 AM #4
      you should really post this in the trans section of the forum

7. 10-09-2019 10:51 AM #5
      Did the flywheel get machined? It could also be worn out. The surface where the plate is bolted up and where the disc rides on are at different heights. If the disc surface is worn out, then there will not be enough travel. I had a flywheel machined once and they only machined the disc surface and that screwed up the entire clutch. It always slipped.

The difference between the cables has nothing to do with the pedal travel.

8. 10-10-2019 01:54 PM #6
      is there a chance you have been given the push rod for a 4 speed box??? i'm not certain there's a difference, but they might be shorter.

9. 10-11-2019 10:13 AM #7
      They are shorter. So much I do not think it would come close to engaging the clutch at all.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      84 GTI 16v x 2
      10-11-2019 10:07 PM #8
      I installed a south bend clutch kit recently. Probably the same kit...stage 2 16v 020. After all the work when everything was together, something was not right, the clutch would not release.

With everything back apart I found that the clutch disc was about 1/8 inch diameter to big and was hung up dragging on the flywheel bolts.

Pulling the trans again was the last thing I wanted to do but I exhausted every possible scenerio between the pedal and pushrod. 9 new flywheel bolts and a different clutch disc and it shifts perfect.
      Last edited by Gromel; 10-12-2019 at 11:29 AM.

11. 10-13-2019 11:25 PM #9
      So now I am fixed. It was only the clutch cable. I ordered a 16V Scirocco cable from Rock Auto and it works great. I am able to easily adjust. Shifts good, you can feel it is a bit stronger plate. I was a dunce to pick up the only cable I could find and figger it would be fine. Perhaps its a MK2 cable, I am not even sure. BTW, they are selling out German cables for 5.90. I got 2.