VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Eurovan 2.5 - I5 Head Replacement

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DCaretaker 
#1 ·
I have read the I5 heads of an AAF and ACU (1995) are interchangeable. Is there any other VW or Audi I5 Head that will work on the AAF or ACU?

#4 ·
I'm going to guess (just a guess) no. Given the angle at which the T4 engine is mounted, I wouldn't count on the right holes in the right places for the oil to flow.

Check out the classifieds on thesamba.com maybe? I don't see individual heads there currently but I do see some complete used motors. Maybe separate the head from the block on one of those and re-sell the block? Maybe a bit of trouble, but can be done.

Just curious...what's the issue w/your cylinder head?

#6 ·
Thank you Matt! I'll definitely check out thesamba site.
You're welcome.

I also did a quick ebay search and there's a guy in the Portland, OR area that has a fully rebuilt ACU motor for $7500 and a fully rebuilt AAF motor for $7000. Here is the ACU:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-96-VW-E...t-Engine-Camper-Rialta-Winnebago/272673011689

Sure looks pretty in the pics all clean and painted up and ready to drop in (even has a lot of the ancillary parts like the ISV valve, etc), but oh those prices are rather steep. I could never justify that for my '93 GL vanilla passenger van but a Rialta or even a Camper is another story.

Don't know if he has any heads lying around that he could part with (rather than the full long block) but maybe you can contact him and ask.

#7 ·
Thank you again Matt. Yes it does look good but for near or less I can buy a complete Eurovan and get "Lots" of spares. Actually to be honest if I could part with that much capital I probably would do it. However the Minister of Finance, other wise known as Minister of Home affairs and she who must be obeyed, believes investments of that magnitude must produce a return.
But I do really appreciate your input and the time it took. I will follow up on the head availability just in case. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.