VWVortex.com - Cost of an EV conversion?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 48

    Thread: Cost of an EV conversion?

    1. 10-08-2019 11:55 AM #1
      I see a 996 rolling body in my local advert for $5k. How much do you guys think it will cost to do a EV conversion ? Or just a big money pit?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      22,982
      10-08-2019 12:00 PM #2
      Most basic with a boat load of crapppy used lead acid batteries with no real power or range? 8-10k.

      Doing it right 20K is probably the floor and this assumes you could do your own machining.

      A Tesla pack used will be ~10k alone just to give you an idea of cost of using good modern batteries.

      Not for a 996 but the EV West kit for older aircooled 911 is about 8k for a bare bones setup.

    4. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      33,473
      10-08-2019 12:07 PM #3
      I came in to poo-poo the idea of doing an EV conversion since it could easily run $20-30k but then I realized we're talking about a 911 here. Upgrading a 996 with no engine or trans to some kind of 911 GT2 spec would cost a fortune, maybe $100k? Maybe more? You could almost certainly do a 300kw (400hp) 2WD EV conversion for a fraction as much as what it would cost to get a roller 996 to GT2-style acceleration to 100mph, for example. A more ordinary 200kw setup (268hp) would probably more approximate the original performance of the 996 for even less money and likely match it from 0 to at least 70-80mph or so due to the instant torque of the EV motor. I could easily see this being a hot conversion for 996s with blown motors, of which there should be plenty given enough time.

    5. Member Yuppie Scum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2014
      Location
      Metro Boston
      Posts
      2,908
      Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      10-08-2019 12:23 PM #4
      If you can scrounge, maybe find junked motor and/or batteries, you could cut it way down. Maybe run a Leaf or Volt motor for a while til you can afford Tesla guts.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2012
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA
      Posts
      687
      10-08-2019 01:20 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      If you can scrounge, maybe find junked motor and/or batteries, you could cut it way down. Maybe run a Leaf or Volt motor for a while til you can afford Tesla guts.
      How about maybe get a used Volt and save all this headache. No range anxiety. And you can sell it anytime you like.
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Locking it up because it's going to get worse mileage than a 1 legged dog with a hang over - yet stir up more crap than a starving catfish in a landfill.

    7. Member freedomgli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      11,734
      10-08-2019 01:25 PM #6
      Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?




    8. Member G0to60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2003
      Location
      Milwaukie, OR
      Posts
      7,101
      Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-08-2019 01:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Dimento View Post
      How about maybe get a used Volt and save all this headache. No range anxiety. And you can sell it anytime you like.
      I would think that would cause more headaches trying to incorporate all of that hardware (ICE, battery, electric motor, trans) than just using a battery and motor. I imagine something like this would be more of a toy than anything so I don't think range anxiety will be that big of a deal.

      Like others have said it will cost a few thousand but would likely be cheaper than trying to get the 996 back to where it was before the motor blew. Should be interesting for sure.

    9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      41,731
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-08-2019 02:28 PM #8
      It'd probably be cheaper to put an LS in the 996 and buy a cheap used Leaf for the commute.

      It would also be awesome. Go back-and-forth in the boring car, then have a 400 hp 911 for the weekends.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2012
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA
      Posts
      687
      10-08-2019 02:37 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      I would think that would cause more headaches trying to incorporate all of that hardware (ICE, battery, electric motor, trans) than just using a battery and motor. I imagine something like this would be more of a toy than anything so I don't think range anxiety will be that big of a deal.

      Like others have said it will cost a few thousand but would likely be cheaper than trying to get the 996 back to where it was before the motor blew. Should be interesting for sure.
      I was actually just talking about driving a used Volt car and not trying to get involved in an EV conversion.
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Locking it up because it's going to get worse mileage than a 1 legged dog with a hang over - yet stir up more crap than a starving catfish in a landfill.

    11. Member G0to60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2003
      Location
      Milwaukie, OR
      Posts
      7,101
      Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-08-2019 02:37 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It'd probably be cheaper to put an LS in the 996 and buy a cheap used Leaf for the commute.

      It would also be awesome. Go back-and-forth in the boring car, then have a 400 hp 911 for the weekends.
      Except that is boring and has been done many times before. I think it would be fun to do something different.

    12. Member G0to60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2003
      Location
      Milwaukie, OR
      Posts
      7,101
      Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-08-2019 02:46 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Dimento View Post
      I was actually just talking about driving a used Volt car and not trying to get involved in an EV conversion.
      But that's not even the question. He asking about a project not a daily driver. Why would he buy a FWD kind-of EV when he's looking at a RWD sports car project?

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2018
      Posts
      4,559
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      10-08-2019 02:48 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I came in to poo-poo the idea of doing an EV conversion since it could easily run $20-30k but then I realized we're talking about a 911 here. Upgrading a 996 with no engine or trans to some kind of 911 GT2 spec would cost a fortune, maybe $100k? Maybe more? You could almost certainly do a 300kw (400hp) 2WD EV conversion for a fraction as much as what it would cost to get a roller 996 to GT2-style acceleration to 100mph, for example. A more ordinary 200kw setup (268hp) would probably more approximate the original performance of the 996 for even less money and likely match it from 0 to at least 70-80mph or so due to the instant torque of the EV motor. I could easily see this being a hot conversion for 996s with blown motors, of which there should be plenty given enough time.
      Why are those the only two choices??!?! A 996 3.4 engine is like $10K tops. Another couple grand to bulletproof it and let it breathe and you're good. Still probably in for under $20K tops which is a steal for any 911 right now, and way less than an EV conversion would be

      The batteries alone would prob cost like $15-20K and where are you gonna put them?

    14. Moderator Harv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2004
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      19,443
      Vehicles
      W116 - W123 - AMG - Land Rovers
      10-08-2019 02:49 PM #13
      Watch this


    15. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,081
      Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-08-2019 02:50 PM #14
      Find a salvaged RWD Tesla, scrap out the body and interior but save the chassis/floor pans/drivetrain. Maybe $30k - $15k (selling parts) = $15k

      Buy the 996. $5k

      Either get really good at fabrication and buy tools, or pay someone to fabricate. Either way, not gonna be cheap. $20k

      So, $40k?

    16. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      33,473
      10-08-2019 03:01 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Why are those the only two choices??!?! A 996 3.4 engine is like $10K tops. Another couple grand to bulletproof it and let it breathe and you're good. Still probably in for under $20K tops which is a steal for any 911 right now, and way less than an EV conversion would be

      The batteries alone would prob cost like $15-20K and where are you gonna put them?
      Hmm. Maybe you missed the title of the thread?

    17. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,085
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      10-08-2019 03:03 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Dimento View Post
      How about maybe get a used Volt and save all this headache. No range anxiety. And you can sell it anytime you like.
      What are you doing on a car enthusiast board in the middle of the day? Let's see, build a really cool and different EV project, or buy one of the most banal and boring ways to move around?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    18. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,085
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      10-08-2019 03:04 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Find a salvaged RWD Tesla, scrap out the body and interior but save the chassis/floor pans/drivetrain. Maybe $30k - $15k (selling parts) = $15k

      Buy the 996. $5k

      Either get really good at fabrication and buy tools, or pay someone to fabricate. Either way, not gonna be cheap. $20k

      So, $40k?
      I wonder if you could plop a 996 shell onto a Tesla skateboard and restyle it to look like a rally car to account for the height increase and not have it look absurd?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2012
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA
      Posts
      687
      10-08-2019 03:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      What are you doing on a car enthusiast board in the middle of the day? Let's see, build a really cool and different EV project, or buy one of the most banal and boring ways to move around?
      heh.. Hell, I don't know, no coffee? He asked if it was gonna be a money pit and I figured. Yup.... so I figured I'd save him some money and a lot of aggravation. Do carry on with spending some mega bucks.
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Locking it up because it's going to get worse mileage than a 1 legged dog with a hang over - yet stir up more crap than a starving catfish in a landfill.

    20. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,085
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      10-08-2019 03:13 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Dimento View Post
      heh.. Hell, I don't know, no coffee? He asked if it was gonna be a money pit and I figured. Yup.... so I figured I'd save him some money and a lot of aggravation. Do carry on with spending some mega bucks.
      I'm sure it will be a money pit, but a FUN money pit! Better than putting a Jetta on air suspension or max cambering some tires on an econobox or whatever else people blow their money on.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      41,731
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-08-2019 03:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      Except that is boring and has been done many times before. I think it would be fun to do something different.
      The cost of making an electric 996 more fun than an LS powered 996 would seem to tip the scales in favor of an LS. There are reasons it's been done many times before, but I seriously doubt it'd be boring.

      I have no problem with doing something different, but when a 996 blows up, it's just asking for an LS.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    22. 10-08-2019 03:34 PM #21
      LS conversions aren’t cheap either. https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...ll-cost-269126

    23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      41,731
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-08-2019 03:44 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      LS conversions aren’t cheap either. https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...ll-cost-269126
      I didn't mean to imply they were.


      That said, this is all moot unless the OP has designs on doing an electric conversion and has deep pockets to actually do it. If so I'm in! I'd love to see it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    24. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,081
      Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-08-2019 03:44 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I wonder if you could plop a 996 shell onto a Tesla skateboard and restyle it to look like a rally car to account for the height increase and not have it look absurd?
      That would be rad.


    25. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Not in Europe. Boo.
      Posts
      22,227
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      10-08-2019 03:50 PM #24
      More than you can afford, pal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

    26. Member G0to60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2003
      Location
      Milwaukie, OR
      Posts
      7,101
      Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-08-2019 03:54 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      LS conversions aren’t cheap either. https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...ll-cost-269126
      Later on he damaged the engine (oil issue???) at a track day so that was not a cheap endeavor.

      Just for giggles I did some searching to see what the big parts would cost. Using Teslas as my main source.

      Model 3 75kWh battery pack - $11k eBay Model 3 battery

      OR

      You can piece together modules
      Model X or S 5.2kWh battery module - $1100 eBay Model X or S battery module

      Model S P85 motor w subframe - $6000 eBay Model S motor

      Just with those two big things you're up to $17k and there will be countless other smaller parts that will be need (cabling, controller, charge port, etc). If you can do all the fab work yourself it will easily be $25-30k in parts to convert. Expensive. Sure but a car hobby always is.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •