VWVortex.com - Cost of an EV conversion?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of an EV conversion?

10-08-2019 03:58 PM #26
      The guys at Revival Motoring had a good interview with Jon Volk on this topic. They talk about what batteries are best, is it cheaper to buy a wrecked tesla for parts, different motor options,... ect. It's cool. Link to podcast: http://revivalmotoring.libsyn.com/ep...k-tesla_bimmer

Article about the car on TheDrive: https://www.thedrive.com/news/27744/...re-of-hot-rods

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-08-2019 04:01 PM #27
      Do you want something that can in some fashion move under its own power, and that alone deems it a success? Butchered bodyshell and interior to make it work, no heat, no A/C, no power steering, no power brakes, no modern safety systems or crash structures, etc.

Or ... Do you want power steering and brakes, air conditioning, heating that works, a proper charging system so that you can use a normal electric car charging plug, etc.? Up goes the cost, probably by a multiple.

Do you care if these features are "there", somehow ... or do you want a proper OEM-like interface with everything integrated seamlessly so that it looks and works like a production car? Up goes the cost, by another multiple.

Do you want the car's original safety systems to work? ABS, ESP, traction control, airbags, crash structures? Up goes the cost, by ANOTHER multiple.

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      10-08-2019 04:05 PM #28
      Talk to MountainPass Performance. The owner did this Lotus Evora EV conversion. The move was a Tesla motor with Volt batteries. It made the car gut wrenchingly quick. Check out the other videos.

Slow Car Fast

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-08-2019 04:10 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Talk to MountainPass Performance. The owner did this Lotus Evora EV conversion. The move was a Tesla motor with Volt batteries. It made the car gut wrenchingly quick. Check out the other videos.

youtube;WDu9HpPD8VY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDu9HpPD8VY
      Iiiinteresting. Volt batteries should be relatively cheap (I did say "relatively"!) since the cars are. I'll need to look into this one further.

Thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

10-08-2019 04:29 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Iiiinteresting. Volt batteries should be relatively cheap (I did say "relatively"!) since the cars are. I'll need to look into this one further.

Thanks!
      the guy i posted above was also talking about the advantages of volt batteries for conversions.

7. 10-09-2019 05:56 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      I see a 996 rolling body in my local advert for $5k. How much do you guys think it will cost to do a EV conversion ? Or just a big money pit?
      TCL is ribbing you and not telling what it will really cost. It will cost you your soul. You ever loving automotive enthusiast soul.

8. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      10-09-2019 09:25 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      TCL is ribbing you and not telling what it will really cost. It will cost you your soul. You ever loving automotive enthusiast soul.
      lol watt?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      10-09-2019 09:38 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      What are you doing on a car enthusiast board in the middle of the day? Let's see, build a really cool and different EV project, or buy one of the most banal and boring ways to move around?
      It's not THAT boring.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-09-2019 09:40 AM #34

Did you see the video on the Tesla powered M3 above? That car has soul aplenty.

And guys, this company has all the parts and experience for converting VWs and Porsches:

And another Porsche 911 conversion:

Last edited by Chris_V; 10-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

11. 10-09-2019 11:13 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      lol watt?
      Ha!

Hate to see the OP sink so much dough on something that won't satisfy his car loving soul.

As much as some want to cheer him on in a money pit projest that will leave him with automotive enthusiast blue balls, we must tell him the truth and be a part of the resistance, my ohms

10-09-2019 11:20 AM #36
      I've been considering doing a LEAF swap on my beetle. My LEAF felt very quick, and I can only imagine what it would do in a beetle.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

13. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 11:44 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I've been considering doing a LEAF swap on my beetle. My LEAF felt very quick, and I can only imagine what it would do in a beetle.

Chris

So you are sticking with "aircooled"

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-09-2019 11:59 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-09-2019 12:10 PM #39
      Ha!Hate to see the OP sink so much dough on something that won't satisfy his car loving soul.As much as some want to cheer him on in a money pit projest that will leave him with automotive enthusiast blue balls, we must tell him the truth and be a part of the resistance, my ohms
      Are you this closed minded and ignorant in real life or do you just play a dumbass on TCL?
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      10-09-2019 12:13 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      heh
      Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      10-09-2019 12:15 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      It's not THAT boring.
      Seriously. Volt is not an appliance at all. Meanwhile, I think OP is in for a financial shock on this one. . I'll just be over here meditating. Ohm
      Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

18. 10-09-2019 12:31 PM #42
      Guys I am just asking to entertain the idea. I remember 10 years ago, I had neighbors that converted Miatas for $3k-5k. But those only had 35 mile range. Fast forward 10 years later, I am hoping for a 50 mile range toy in the bracket of $10k (parts and labor) plus cost of rolling chassis which is $5k. So 15k max for something not really practical.

Anything more than that, I won't even consider. Like some people mention, you can get a 2017 Chevy Volt w/ 30k miles for $15k for an appliance. Or straight out buy a 2014 Spark EV with 400lbs of torque for $5k all day long.
      I've been driving EVs for 6 years now. Wife drives a Bolt EV. I have some extra money for a money pit. Be it something like this or an 80s 928.

19. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-09-2019 02:01 PM #43
      Guys I am just asking to entertain the idea. I remember 10 years ago, I had neighbors that converted Miatas for $3k-5k. But those only had 35 mile range. Fast forward 10 years later, I am hoping for a 50 mile range toy in the bracket of $10k (parts and labor) plus cost of rolling chassis which is $5k. So 15k max for something not really practical.
      A 50 mile range does reduce the price. Does it have to be a 996? I would imagine it'd be a lot cheaper to convert something else, though that'd obviously change the end result. A lot.

I've seen pickups, various BMWs, air and water-cooled VWs, 914s... converted. Naturally it's all according to what you're wanting both as a project and as the end result of that project. To go to extremes certainly an electric S10 wouldn't be as satisfying to drive as a converted 996!

Whatever you decide do, enjoy!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

20. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 02:20 PM #44
      I think you can get something put together that moves for 15k all in. Won't be fast and won't go far

If you picked up that spark ev for 5k and just converted all of that to work in the 996 you can probably stay in Budget. Similar to lots of swaps that basically just use all the Tesla stuff with some sort of standalone control setup, which are quite expensive. Really interested in a Tesla swap personally.

The biggest issue between 10 years ago and now is the cheap stuff hasn't gotten any cheaper or better. As in if you just want to use lead acids they cost 50% more or so then 2009 and suck just as bad (Just kind of estimating off battery prices I can think of). Motor prices are up because demand is up even for basic bitch fork lift units. I think that is where you'll find the problem with trying to get 50% more range than your buddies even with 100% more to spend.

With 20k all in I think you could start to look into moving away from lead acid into something lithium more up front be probably come out ahead long term.

Spelling I wrong but check out jehruga on YouTube he does a lot of videos breaking down battery builds and their costs. That will be your biggest expense.

21. 10-09-2019 05:05 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Are you this closed minded and ignorant in real life or do you just play a dumbass on TCL?
      You go way too far to the point you hope people die and you call people names, lol. It's a car forum, not a place for you to work out your personal issues, if you can't handle disagreements on the internet without totally losing your snit, that's on you bro.

22. 10-09-2019 05:30 PM #46

Anything more than that, I won't even consider. Like some people mention, you can get a 2017 Chevy Volt w/ 30k miles for $15k for an appliance. Or straight out buy a 2014 Spark EV with 400lbs of torque for $5k all day long.
      I've been driving EVs for 6 years now. Wife drives a Bolt EV. I have some extra money for a money pit. Be it something like this or an 80s 928.
      I'm down with the part on bold, I always like the 928 but I'm sure some Porsche heads can school you on the issues they have. I think you should get it anyway for selfish reasons

On the EV project, you seem to be going in eyes open, it does seem like it could turn into way more dough as you go though. Them unknowns ya don't know and all. And at the end of the day would it drive and be as enjoyable as a sweet running 928 or other Porsche that's fell in value and is on budget? People are getting squeezed for money, the used car market will get fat and desperate, it may be worth holding out until something sweet pops up.

I'll check back to see what you do

23. 10-09-2019 06:29 PM #47
      I'm down with the part on bold, I always like the 928 but I'm sure some Porsche heads can school you on the issues they have. I think you should get it anyway for selfish reasons

On the EV project, you seem to be going in eyes open, it does seem like it could turn into way more dough as you go though. Them unknowns ya don't know and all. And at the end of the day would it drive and be as enjoyable as a sweet running 928 or other Porsche that's fell in value and is on budget? People are getting squeezed for money, the used car market will get fat and desperate, it may be worth holding out until something sweet pops up.

I'll check back to see what you do
      I'm looking for something I don't have to worry about too much. I just spent a whole lot of money on a Jaguar F-Type R which is my weekend car. So I already have something more than I can handle.
      But I get nervous driving that car because I am afraid someone will ding my doors if I take it to my local Target. Its got to a point where I am afraid to take it out. But when I do, I love it.

So I want something just as fun that I can go within an 11 mile radius. Hence, the low range. I'm driving a Fiat 500e right now with 87 mile range so I already know my driving habits. So if something breaks down or needs to go to the shop, I am not gonna be stranded. I'll just pull the F-Type out of the garage and take it to work that day( or week or month ).

I've been looking at 1983 560SLs, Some Audi S4 avants with the 4.2 (manual), some 500es, E55, CLK500s, Jaguar S-Type Rs (420 hp), XJRs, Cadillac STS-Vs. So I see some 996s here and there will craiglist/FB marketing place shopping. Don't want to spend $20k on a 2001 996. Just plain no. But I see $6k-12k 928s and other cars in that week 6k-15k range. So if the car needs some work. I am OK with that. But I don't want to get into $20-25k money pits I see on youtube. Heck, if someone has a 914 with EV swap for $15k, I'd buy it right now. But I don't see that happening.

24. 10-09-2019 07:00 PM #48
      I'm looking for something I don't have to worry about too much. I just spent a whole lot of money on a Jaguar F-Type R which is my weekend car. So I already have something more than I can handle.
      But I get nervous driving that car because I am afraid someone will ding my doors if I take it to my local Target. Its got to a point where I am afraid to take it out. But when I do, I love it.

So I want something just as fun that I can go within an 11 mile radius. Hence, the low range. I'm driving a Fiat 500e right now with 87 mile range so I already know my driving habits. So if something breaks down or needs to go to the shop, I am not gonna be stranded. I'll just pull the F-Type out of the garage and take it to work that day( or week or month ).

I've been looking at 1983 560SLs, Some Audi S4 avants with the 4.2 (manual), some 500es, E55, CLK500s, Jaguar S-Type Rs (420 hp), XJRs, Cadillac STS-Vs. So I see some 996s here and there will craiglist/FB marketing place shopping. Don't want to spend $20k on a 2001 996. Just plain no. But I see $6k-12k 928s and other cars in that week 6k-15k range. So if the car needs some work. I am OK with that. But I don't want to get into $20-25k money pits I see on youtube. Heck, if someone has a 914 with EV swap for $15k, I'd buy it right now. But I don't see that happening.
      Oh wow, after reading your thoughts, your automotive soul is just fine

Being cheap, poorer and by buying cheap, it has lessened my OCPD side some. I care about not FiST but if it gets dinged I'll fix it and keep on rolling, but if I had an F-Type R, holy fek I would be obsessive as hell too.

I like about all of the options you mentioned but it does seem like you're a gambler and/or a glutton for punishment! I would still go with a good running example of any you posted over an EV project. Besides the money it could also turn into a time suck.

I do like your train of thought on rides though, interested to see what ya do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12