VWVortex.com - Please, do not be these ***holes.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please, do not be these ***holes.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      10-09-2019 02:17 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      Wut?
      Men are the real victims. What about this and that? I'm only bringing it up now so people stop talking about women's issues.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      10-09-2019 02:25 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      I dont know ,I kinda see women being more sexist nowadays even media supports them as nearly all commercials the man is goof dumb*** and the woman is the smart one
      I have not been featured in any ads lately, so not sure where you are getting this from.

Are you an incel? Because you sound like one. Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      It just sucks to not be taken seriously about a subject that you're passionate about.
      Yup.

I quit showing my cars seriously after I took my wagon (decent build and a looker back then) to a CVO Treffen and had to constantly explain that it was MY car. Then, learning that no one would vote for a girl car and not even placing against two bone stock cars, urgh. It was like I was on another planet. Back home in MI, I was/am just another person in the car scene. It's so much easier.

Still tracking and building, though. Wagon goes under the knife again shortly. It's going to shine again. Thankfully, no one will care except me!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      10-09-2019 02:32 PM #28
      I think it's a tad sensitive to be mad that if someone sees a couple together, they assume it's the guy who is into cars, and the girl is less so. Pure statistics make that a relatively "safe" assumption, and I don't think the intent there is to be demeaning.

That said, once a girl opens her mouth and let's you know she's in it too, there's no reason to not take her word for it and assume she is or can be just as knowledgeable as any guy could or would be.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

5. 10-09-2019 02:40 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I have not been featured in any ads lately, so not sure where you are getting this from.

Yup.
      Im in a incel yet your the bitter one telling me to "get a life" Projection

6. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      10-09-2019 02:45 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You know who was the best autocrosser I've ever seen? Nope, not cockerpunk...
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-09-2019 02:46 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      I've encountered this in the past for sure, but I've been encountering it more and more now that we're going to more events with a nicer car. Nothing super negative, but certainly the general stereotype that women aren't into cars, etc. I've been into cars for quite some time, and for awhile I had the nice, fast, modded car in the house vs my husband with his basic beater. And people always got surprised when they learned the nice car was mine. And that I did my own work on it. And it was a manual.

Usually I get a "Oh thats awesome!" when we say that the car is mine, or that we built our project car together. But it still sucks that its automatically assumed that I had no part in it. Our '82 Rabbit Pickup, we finished earlier this year. It was very much a joint project between me and my husband. And its, IMO, a really nice build. So we take it out to shows now that its done. We went to a Cars and Coffee and I noticed a grimy spot in the engine bay so I grabbed a microfiber to clean it up. A guy looking at the truck goes "oh how sweet, she even cleans your car for you!" which really infuriated me. And most of the time when we are talking about the car, people just talk to my husband, even after learning I worked on it as well. Or, even if I am at the car doing something to it, clearly showing ownership, people will search out my husband to tell him "That's a really nice car" or "great build", etc. I have found the VW community to be pretty cool, but going to more general shows definitely seems to bring out the people who stereotype more often. And it stinks. I'm not there to be arm candy. I am there to show off a car that we are extremely proud of building (and that we've won a few awards for this show season, which honestly was unexpected!). I am passionate about all of our cars and I know a lot about them. I love getting my hands in an engine bay and wrenching. I do all my own maintenance on my cars. I love driving fast. I can and enjoy driving a manual. I've done a track day, and I want to do more. It just sucks to not be taken seriously about a subject that you're passionate about.
      I get that. I'm friends with a married couple. He's the driver of the two, whereas she's the builder. He can get a nut and bolt together, but she's a mechanical engineer and is the queen of the garage, has the tools, installed a lift, built two MR2 IT cars, now has her mother's 240Z that she bought new (Her mother was part of "Ben Wa Racing", so she gets it honestly!) and is the primary wrench on her husband's very modified 94 Supra Turbo that he bought new. She hears it once in a while.

She took her MR2 to an alignment shop and said "I want X amount of toe-in, Y amount of negative camber etc, etc." The guy comes back with "You need tie rod ends, ball joints and bushings" or some such. She said "No, I don't". He tried to insist that she did, but she cut him off and said "Look pal, I'm a mechanical engineer..." He basically said "okay" and did the alignment. In her shoes I think I would've just driven out of the place after telling the guy to pound sand, but she wanted the alignment done. It's quite possible that he would've tried that on a guy, but who knows?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

8. 10-09-2019 02:48 PM #32
      The girl that works at Helion is to be respected, saw her going down the 1320 in her 800-1,000hp twin turbo mustang slide out and she somehow saved it

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 Subaru WRX Series.Gray, '20 Subaru Outback Onyx XT, '15 Honda Grom, '79 Boston Whaler Montauk
      10-09-2019 02:49 PM #33
      Love you, Katherine. <3 Thanks for sharing this.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT
      10-09-2019 02:49 PM #34
      Lol. My wife has a new S4 and has been able to drive all of my cars, including the 996 which has a very hard clutch, stiff suspension, and roll cage. The faces she gets are the best. She roasted a guy when she had my past c63 AMG out in his Camaro he pulled up expecting a guy driver and saw her and tried to chat it up hahaha. I was in a car behind them laughing.

I think the bias comes from all the women that get into the scene just for attention etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      10-09-2019 02:50 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      Wut?
      I think I know what he is getting at - but it certainly isn't being presented well.

I grew up with three women in my house, mom and two sisters. My brother and I were raised to be "gentlemen". Open the door for a woman, offer to help a woman in distress, etc. I've noticed over the last few years that younger women these days make it a point to let it be known that they don't need, nor do they want, help from a man. I'm all for that but it seems to be taken to an extreme by some ladies.

As an example a few months ago I was in line at the grocery store behind a young woman (guessing early 20's) who hadn't gotten a cart and was juggling a potted plant and a bunch of groceries as the long checkout line slowly moved forward.

I didn't have a lot in my cart and asked her if she wanted to put the plant in the front until she got to the grocery conveyor. She looked me in the eye and said with a half smirk/half smile "No. I am a strong, independent woman thank you very much" and turned back around. I was truly taken aback because I would have offered the same if there was a guy in front of me and didn't at all mean it as an insult to her womanhood. So she continued almost dropping everything for almost 10 minutes until she got to the checkout.

On topic, I personally love seeing more women involved in the car scene and have been taking my daughter, now 7, to car events and Cars & Coffee since she was about 6mos old. She hangs out with me in the garage and does what she can to help when she can.

I intend to keep her involved as long as she is interested and encourage her to learn more about maintaining and driving cars than I was taught.

Vehicles
      2017 GTI
      10-09-2019 02:57 PM #36
      K,

thx, I just googled incel. glad (not) to have that in my search history.

J
      My glass is half-full of empty

13. 10-09-2019 03:02 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I

As an example a few months ago I was in line at the grocery store behind a young woman (guessing early 20's) who hadn't gotten a cart and was juggling a potted plant and a bunch of groceries as the long checkout line slowly moved forward.

I didn't have a lot in my cart and asked her if she wanted to put the plant in the front until she got to the grocery conveyor. She looked me in the eye and said with a half smirk/half smile "No. I am a strong, independent woman thank you very much" and turned back around. I was truly taken aback because I would have offered the same if there was a guy in front of me and didn't at all mean it as an insult to her womanhood. So she continued almost dropping everything for almost 10 minutes until she got to the checkout.
      Great real world example

I like people in the car scene that come with good attitude either man or woman , cocky ****s that think they're BHPH BMW E90 is the best r just annoying

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta 2.5, 2015 Mazda3
      10-09-2019 03:04 PM #38
      I think I know what he is getting at - but it certainly isn't being presented well.

I grew up with three women in my house, mom and two sisters. My brother and I were raised to be "gentlemen". Open the door for a woman, offer to help a woman in distress, etc. I've noticed over the last few years that younger women these days make it a point to let it be known that they don't need, nor do they want, help from a man. I'm all for that but it seems to be taken to an extreme by some ladies.

On topic, I personally love seeing more women involved in the car scene and have been taking my daughter, now 7, to car events and Cars & Coffee since she was about 6mos old. She hangs out with me in the garage and does what she can to help when she can.

I intend to keep her involved as long as she is interested and encourage her to learn more about maintaining and driving cars than I was taught.
      Good post. I think a lot of men have found themselves in similar situations but are too afraid to speak up. And that is exactly what it is, fear. Women like the one you described in your story have taken this "whole thing" and ran with it to far far extremes, making it a point to make men feel like ****. They want men to live in fear and feel guilty of being a male. Offering help to a woman is no longer being a gentleman, its now insinuating they are weak and need a man to get anything done. You see this a lot with younger females.

Obviously this is not all females, just ones like you described in your story that I have also encountered. Just like not all men are sexist, chauvinist *******s. There are good, bad, givers and takers no matter what is between our legs. The young generation is easily manipulated by social media and strangers.

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      10-09-2019 03:06 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      I dont know ,I kinda see women being more sexist nowadays even media supports them as nearly all commercials the man is goof dumb*** and the woman is the smart one
      There's a 50% chance she is.

This is the constant BS I hear at work. One woman is hired in a technical leadership role and there are tons of comments about filling quotas, affirmative action, etc on an on. Yet the total percentage of women in R&D (not even looking at leadership) isn't remotely close to 50%. As far as I'm concerned 50% of our talented engineers and chemists should be women. Shoot - insert field here - the pool should be 50%. The issue is the systems feeding into the workplace aren't balanced and the hiring process sure as sh&t isn't, either.

I only had 2 women in my M.E. program my final year and they were not treated well by their fellow students. No wonder so few women choose that path. It's artificially difficult due to poor behavior by some/most of the members of the group in power.

16. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 03:11 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post

I only had 2 women in my M.E. program my final year and they were not treated well by their fellow students. No wonder so few women choose that path. It's artificially difficult due to poor behavior by some/most of the members of the group in power.
      Yeah, there were barely any females in my flight school. The few that were there were usually treated like crap by a lot of students, or like raw meat by the others. I always said "guys, if we included more women here, I wouldn't have to drive 100 miles south to ASU every time I want to have sex."
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

17. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      10-09-2019 03:12 PM #41
      Yeah, there were barely any females in my flight school. The few that were there were usually treated like crap by a lot of students, or like raw meat by the others. I always said "guys, if we included more women here, I wouldn't have to drive 100 miles south to ASU every time I want to have sex."
      Oh....

I had no idea you liked women. Being a pilot and all.
      Instagram - efrie004

10-09-2019 03:16 PM #42

Even in your anecdote, why would anyone take the message away from that as "boys are being left behind?" Sometimes well intentioned "gentlemen" initiate unwanted interactions that may come across as creepy or patronizing, then get all flabbergasted when a woman doesn't appreciate their gallantry.Our manhood is safe, it's just that some may be skeptical about chivalrous behavior.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      10-09-2019 03:22 PM #43
      I love it when men try to mansplain what it's like to be a woman. Totes adorbs! You go! You got this! You keep trying, and maybe one day, you'll actually get it!

たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

20. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 03:22 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Oh....

I had no idea you liked women. Being a pilot and all.
      I enjoy landing strips.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      10-speed bike
      10-09-2019 03:23 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      As far as I'm concerned 50% of our talented engineers and chemists should be women. Shoot - insert field here - the pool should be 50%. The issue is the systems feeding into the workplace aren't balanced and the hiring process sure as sh&t isn't, either.
      you're not taking into account so many variables, the only way you'll get to 50% right now is by forcing equality of outcome. eventually, women may even surpass men in these fields, if the graduation rate in STEM fields continues to grow.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/gende...elors-degrees/

however, the imbalance (heavily) includes personal choices and interest, so, good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by STACK
      I think it's a tad sensitive to be mad that if someone sees a couple together, they assume it's the guy who is into cars, and the girl is less so. Pure statistics make that a relatively "safe" assumption, and I don't think the intent there is to be demeaning.
      THIS!!! holy crap, stop being offended at every tiny thing. it's not always meant to offend, and it's not always about you!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post

you do know that the "in" stands for "involuntary", meaning it's pretty much society/the women's fault. FFS, this is so bass-ackwards as an insult, i literally can't even! I expect better from your posts.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      I'm a pigeon playing chess.

22. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      10-09-2019 03:25 PM #46
      I enjoy landing strips.
      except for ones in the rain forest. no thank you

23. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 03:26 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      you do know that the "in" stands for "involuntary", meaning it's pretty much society/the women's fault. FFS, this is so bass-ackwards as an insult, i literally can't even! I expect better from your posts.
      If you can't find someone to pet your sweaty bits, that's on you. That's not on women or society.

24. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 03:30 PM #48

I've opened car doors for people since i started driving. I don't think my dad does for my mom so wasn't taught it but my mom did comment a little while back that she noticed both my brother and I still do it.

Dated one girl that vocally had a problem with it, tried to explain if I was into dudes I'd do the same thing but she didn't believe me. GF now admitted about 2 years in that she was annoyed by it at first thinking it was just me trying to get some and that it bothered her but she's never have said something about me stopping. Said she realized it's just me and has no sexist under tone. She's also said she'd be much more annoyed at my mansplaining if she didn't know that it doesn't see gender and I mansplain dudes all the time too

We have an open dialog about this topic in our house, if she's bothered by something I did or said that she felt was sexist we talk about it. We talk about it if we see it or read about it and I'll even ask if she felt I did similar and it bothered her. I check in from time to time to see if she feels like something is going on that is making her uncomfortable at work whether it be a coworker or client. Haven't shown her this article yet but when I've shown her others like it and comment that I don't understand how people possibly reply like that she says because she knows I couldn't myself.. and yes she's aware I'm an a-hole, just not that kind.

10-09-2019 03:33 PM #49
      If you can't find someone to pet your sweaty bits, that's on you. That's not on women or society.
      "Am I insufferable and/or unattractive? No, it's that feminism has caused women to have bad taste in men."

Vehicles
      10-speed bike
      10-09-2019 03:39 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      "Am I insufferable and/or unattractive? No, it's that feminism has caused women to have bad taste in men."
      the hypocrisy is real. men: change yourself to be attractive to your desired sexual counterpart, conform or be shunned. it's your fault. women: do you, you were born strong, brave, and beautiful. never change for anyone, no matter what they say.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      I'm a pigeon playing chess.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast