VWVortex.com - Please, do not be these ***holes.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Please, do not be these ***holes.

1. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 03:41 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post

you do know that the "in" stands for "involuntary", meaning it's pretty much society/the women's fault. FFS, this is so bass-ackwards as an insult, i literally can't even! I expect better from your posts.
      If you're found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, they still determined it was your fault. No part of the definition of the word involuntary moves blame to a third party.

Not sure it was possible to mess that one up any further than you did ...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      10-09-2019 03:44 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      I've opened car doors for people since i started driving. I don't think my dad does for my mom so wasn't taught it but my mom did comment a little while back that she noticed both my brother and I still do it.

Dated one girl that vocally had a problem with it, tried to explain if I was into dudes I'd do the same thing but she didn't believe me. GF now admitted about 2 years in that she was annoyed by it at first thinking it was just me trying to get some and that it bothered her but she's never have said something about me stopping. Said she realized it's just me and has no sexist under tone. She's also said she'd be much more annoyed at my mansplaining if she didn't know that it doesn't see gender and I mansplain dudes all the time too

We have an open dialog about this topic in our house, if she's bothered by something I did or said that she felt was sexist we talk about it. We talk about it if we see it or read about it and I'll even ask if she felt I did similar and it bothered her. I check in from time to time to see if she feels like something is going on that is making her uncomfortable at work whether it be a coworker or client. Haven't shown her this article yet but when I've shown her others like it and comment that I don't understand how people possibly reply like that she says because she knows I couldn't myself.. and yes she's aware I'm an a-hole, just not that kind.
      This whole spiel makes me love being gay. Oh and I open the car door for my husband. He doesn't get offended

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      10-09-2019 03:45 PM #53
      you're not taking into account so many variables, the only way you'll get to 50% right now is by forcing equality of outcome. eventually, women may even surpass men in these fields, if the graduation rate in STEM fields continues to grow.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/gende...elors-degrees/

however, the imbalance (heavily) includes personal choices and interest, so, good luck with that.
      You're exactly right - I wasn't saying force it, I'm saying that the specific behavior I witnessed in engineering school, Formula SAE, and continually see in the workplace is discouraging women from pursuing that path. Hence the 25% shown in your link.

No, I don't think we can flip a switch and fix it next year. No, I don't want a forced 50%. But 25% isn't great. But 25% is up at least 5% from a decade or two ago, so that's better I guess.

5. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 03:47 PM #54
      the hypocrisy is real. men: change yourself to be attractive to your desired sexual counterpart, conform or be shunned. it's your fault. women: do you, you were born strong, brave, and beautiful. never change for anyone, no matter what they say.
      So to be clear you're saying you were born insufferable?

10-09-2019 03:47 PM #55
      the hypocrisy is real. men: change yourself to be attractive to your desired sexual counterpart, conform or be shunned. it's your fault. women: do you, you were born strong, brave, and beautiful. never change for anyone, no matter what they say.
      Huh? More like - Men and Women: find someone that's right for you. If you're nice to someone, that doesn't mean they owe you affection. If someone is nice to you, you don't owe them affection.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      10-09-2019 03:48 PM #56
      I expect better from your posts.
      Why? Have you pinned expectations on me, too? Do I owe you a good post?
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      10-09-2019 03:50 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      If you're nice to someone, that doesn't mean they owe you affection. If someone is nice to you, you don't owe them affection.
      :slowclap

9. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 03:51 PM #58
      Man, if that's how you feel things work, I'm sorry for you.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

10. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 03:53 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Huh? More like - Men and Women: find someone that's right for you. If you're nice to someone, that doesn't mean they owe you affection. If someone is nice to you, you don't owe them affection.
      Exactly. Go find your brand of crazy. They are out there, but the universe, and every last person in it owes you nothing.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      10-09-2019 03:54 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      I dont know ,I kinda see women being more sexist nowadays even media supports them as nearly all commercials the man is goof dumb*** and the woman is the smart one
      I have to say, I agree with this. The other day I was watching MW Retro reviews, and between each episode there was a Ram commercial. The campaign is pretty dumb, and it has owners of competing brands trying to sell their competing truck with a video ad. The schtick is that the Ram is better with things like the size of the touch screen, so they ironically tout their competing trucks' less competitive features to help sell the truck they no longer want- while in the process FCA highlights how the ram is better.

This is all fine, until you realize there are male and female versions of the commercial. The female version not only makes her look a lot less doofey than the man version, but her license plate says "He Picked" implying the car she hates was the result of her man's inability to pick a car she liked. Not to mention she makes jokes about him sitting across from her at the table, and tells them if he answers the phone, to tell him to mind his own business. Sorry, but undertones are still undertones, so I get what you are saying here 100%.

Vehicles
      TT, E46
      10-09-2019 03:58 PM #61
      Wow this thread went down hill from when I checked it an hour ago.
      Incels are terrible, their problems are self created. It's not women's fault you don't take care of yourself and can't talk to people.
      Why does there NEED to be 50% women in STEM? Let them choose what they want. Yeah men can make things difficult but given hundreds of years of historical context STEM isn't statistically appealing. That being said a woman pretty much out us on the moon so they're clearly capable in STEM, if they want to be. It's almost 'backwards' sexism telling women they need to sign up for STEM for "equality". Equity is more important.
      I'll be honest I've never met a girl in real life who liked cars, but I've witnessed some very fast women at autocross. On the inverse, why aren't more men into sewing or scrapbooking? Obviously that's not something every woman does, or even many women, but the percentage of participants is definitely swayed towards the female side. Let people enjoy what they want regardless of gender.
      Trolls are everywhere, unfortunately being female gives an extra angle of attack, and then there's people who are genuinely against integrating.

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      10-09-2019 03:59 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Exactly. Go find your brand of crazy. They are out there, but the universe, and every last person in it owes you nothing.
      One would think that the pilot would owe me a safe landing.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

14. 10-09-2019 04:01 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      I have to say, I agree with this. The other day I was watching MW Retro reviews, and between each episode there was a Ram commercial. The campaign is pretty dumb, and it has owners of competing brands trying to sell their competing truck with a video ad. The schtick is that the Ram is better with things like the size of the touch screen, so they ironically tout their competing trucks' less competitive features to help sell the truck they no longer want- while in the process FCA highlights how the ram is better.

This is all fine, until you realize there are male and female versions of the commercial. The female version not only makes her look a lot less doofey than the man version, but her license plate says "He Picked" implying the car she hates was the result of her man's inability to pick a car she liked. Not to mention she makes jokes about him sitting across from her at the table, and tells them if he answers the phone, to tell him to mind his own business. Sorry, but undertones are still undertones, so I get what you are saying here 100%.

Thank you, the commercials have been around for quite some time ,they're so prevalent some people don't even notice them anymore.

15. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 04:01 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      One would think that the pilot would owe me a safe landing.
      If you paid for a ticket, I'll get you there safely. It's why you bought the ticket. However, if you bought me a beer, well crap it's you. I'd get handsy. I can't resist.

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      10-09-2019 04:05 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      If you paid for a ticket, I'll get you there safely. It's why you bought the ticket. However, if you bought me a beer, well crap it's you. I'd get handsy. I can't resist.
      Wait wait wait.... you know how to fly a plane?!? And land one?

Damn. That's hot.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

17. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 04:06 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Wait wait wait.... you know how to fly a plane?!? And land one?

Damn. That's hot.
      Red Hot.

Vehicles
      2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T manual
      10-09-2019 04:12 PM #67
      It takes a Polish woman to bust the myth that the ice roads in Canada are super dangerous to drive on. (Turn on CC for English captions.)

Vehicles
      '19 Odyssey, '19 Macan, '06 Solstice
      10-09-2019 04:12 PM #68
      Yes - agree.

My $0.02 worth of psychoanalysis on it is lots of this will come down to ego. Viewing an 'opportunity' to belittle someone else for your own self-whatever and/or to be 'noticed' by your peers or simply that wo/man in the mirror. Or in a more perverted way; that person is doing what I like, they may be better at it, my ego cannot handle that therefore I need bring them down/rationalize their inadequacies and deficits; or even worse the immature/juvenile I want to be WITH (yikes) that person (attraction) because my brain is still adjusting to normal healthy relationships and I'm running on impulse, but I may be rejected, my ego cannot handle that, so let me diminish the value of that individual so I don't feel so bad about not "having' it. Discrimination and objectification is a low-cost feel-good pick-me-up.

What else can be done in addition to calling out BS egos? I think many of us could use a concrete game plan and reminders to check ourselves before perpetuating some of that crappy exclusive culture - be it conscious or not.

Atomical - don't see you it a lot in motorcycling and in motorsports?

When my wife and I rode motorcycles for a bit she'd get cat call'd by cagers even just going down the street to the coffee shop. It doesn't bother either one of us because well hell if anything I suppose we're flattered (hmm). I've always felt good whenever someone put in energy and effort to give me attention at a bar; by men or women alike. Then again I'm just as stoked the dog is happy to see me, too. So I obviously didn't grow up in the same sort of unwanted/forced attention environment. Come to think of it I never heard comments about her whenever we'd go to autocross, at least nothing in my earshot. BUT this past weekend SV Autocross I did hear some folks condescending talk about the single lady who was driving a Fiesta ST. There's that tone like 'cute' or 'good for her,' very patronizing. A colleague even stated something similar - that same sort of tone; I pointed out she was quicker than he was, so that ended that. In the PCA events there was a much higher ratio of women to men on track and active in various aspects of the club. Maybe I was naive to it but I didn't hear any issues about women DE instructors or otherwise. Brings me to the point, I assume those emboldened attitudes will quiet once representation is increased.

I remember we had a Formula W Series discussion here on the board a while back and that was refreshing as it clicked with me the importance of exposure to the topic of systemic discrimination into this world.

20. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      10-09-2019 04:17 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      It takes a Polish woman to bust the myth that the ice roads in Canada are super dangerous to drive on. (Turn on CC for English captions.)

Lisa Kelly would like a word

Vehicles
      10-speed bike
      10-09-2019 04:30 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      So to be clear you're saying you were born insufferable?
      no, i was taught by the best. TCL.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Why? Have you pinned expectations on me, too? Do I owe you a good post?
      what do atomixalex and the stock market have in common? Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results.

your previous posts were informed, insightful, helpful, and valuable. this one is intolerant, whiny, finger pointing victim signaling. yes, you owe all of us better than namecalling.
      Last edited by sirswank!; 10-09-2019 at 04:45 PM.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      I'm a pigeon playing chess.

22. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 04:32 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
      Why does there NEED to be 50% women in STEM? Let them choose what they want. Yeah men can make things difficult but given hundreds of years of historical context STEM isn't statistically appealing.
      I think you are missing the 50% point there, at least my take on it.

It isn't necessarily about actually making it 50% or whatever current percent of men to women we have on the planet by force. It is telling girls it is OKAY to be interested in this stuff and that you can do this as a job if you WANT. Many girls are told this isn't what they really want and that is why historically it has been skewed.

No one is saying you MUST go into STEM, only that they it is okay to find it appealing.

On the inverse, why aren't more men into sewing or scrapbooking?
      I sew, have since I was a kid, even own a sewing machine. It was my moms and she didn't want it since she doesn't sew. But then my dad wanted to sew some stuff so he went out and bought a sewing machine.

First person I knew really into scrapbooking was a dude. He'd probably say they were just very well curated photo albums, but let's be honest just because there was no glitter doesn't mean it wasn't a scrapbook

23. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      10-09-2019 04:33 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      https://jalopnik.com/not-to-be-sexis...who-1838877307

Please, for the love of all that is cubic inches, do not be these men.

Tempest podcast - https://play.acast.com/s/tempest/4e3...9-2c915ca8dec9
      My sister did an IG story yesterday about all the men that come running up to her at gas stations, shouting at her that she's putting diesel in her X5. Never once has her husband or her sons been accosted in such a manner. One of my suggested responses for her was: "If you come any closer, I'm going to stick this nozzle so far up your ass you're going to be paying $3.25 every time you burp."

It's also tuned, so somewheres in the 400hp/500tq range, I think.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

24. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 04:36 PM #73
      no, i was taught by the best. TCL.

Good, so then you understand that you are saying a man is being asked to change a learned trait and that a woman is standing up for how she was born.

Vehicles
      228i, JKU, Cabriolet
      10-09-2019 04:38 PM #74
      I really don't care what gender the person is/identifies as, I just want to read about cars. My issue with Jalopnik is crappy articles. Kristen Lee is probably my least favorite writer for Jalopnik.

"I don't like red convertibles"
      https://jalopnik.com/ban-red-soft-tops-1835954379

"I like stripes"
      https://jalopnik.com/stripes-good-yes-1834761443

Sh*t, Sh*t, Sh*t, [email protected]
      https://jalopnik.com/knee-airbags-do...ihs-1837043133
      https://jalopnik.com/automakers-are-...and-1833842121
      https://jalopnik.com/delta-sorry-sir...***-1830277871
      https://jalopnik.com/all-of-you-need...car-1837590143

Vehicles
      228i, JKU, Cabriolet
      10-09-2019 04:43 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      My sister did an IG story yesterday about all the men that come running up to her at gas stations, shouting at her that she's putting diesel in her X5. Never once has her husband or her sons been accosted in such a manner. One of my suggested responses for her was: "If you come any closer, I'm going to stick this nozzle so far up your ass you're going to be paying $3.25 every time you burp."

It's also tuned, so somewheres in the 400hp/500tq range, I think.

I spent 10 years as an auto adjuster for an insurance company. I probably got 6-7 fuel mix-up claims a year (almost always gas in a diesel, so reverse of your sister). 100% of the claims were caused by women, normally the spouse/GF/daughter of the the person that normally drives the car, not remembering to put diesel at the pump. Coincidentally, a lot of these losses occured at BP stations, since the color of the pump handle is reversed (gas-green/diesel-black)

I was always told a diesel pump won't work in a gas car, but I never tried when I owned a diesel. I did have to argue with a few fuel attendants in OR when I owned a TDI Golf though.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast