VWVortex.com - Please, do not be these ***holes.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Please, do not be these ***holes.

Vehicles
      TT, E46
      10-09-2019 04:44 PM #76
      @chris86vw
      We're saying the same thing, in different ways. Let women do what they want. If it's STEM, great, if not, just as great. The scrapbooking/sewing analogy was more about most, which of course means there's exceptions, men not doing certain activities because they're "girly". Not to bring men's issues into a women's issues thread. There's a lot of insecurity out in the world, and two of the manifestations are saying women can't be engineers or be into cars. It can be discouraging the women, but as my dad always told me, consider the source.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      10-speed bike
      10-09-2019 04:46 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      If you're found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, they still determined it was your fault. No part of the definition of the word involuntary moves blame to a third party.

Not sure it was possible to mess that one up any further than you did ...
      Good, so then you understand that you are saying a man is being asked to change a learned trait and that a woman is standing up for how she was born.
      NO. Involuntary manslaughter involves the accidental killing of another person due to some kind of negligent or reckless act. since, in this case, the negligence is not conforming to societal standards, or recklessly speaking an opposing opinion to the increasingly intolerant public, my point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Man, if that's how you feel things work, I'm sorry for you.
      don't patronize me. it's fair to say you live in a completely different world.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      I'm a pigeon playing chess.

4. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 04:50 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      My sister did an IG story yesterday about all the men that come running up to her at gas stations, shouting at her that she's putting diesel in her X5.
      I 100% believe this.

However I have had both men and woman come running up to warn me when putting diesel in my wrangler, so it isn't entirely a sexist thing. I've also overheard people who didn't come up to me comment to a friend with them how stupid I was and how I just ruined my jeep putting diesel in it. So this is one of those weird ones where dudes can be over protective of woman and intentionally hoping a dude is fkn himself.

My favorite though is when they insist that I have a rod knock and should stop driving immediately.... as I pull up to the diesel pump

But this does remind me that the GF hates going to lowes/HD by herself. Every trip she either says that everyone is just ignoring her when she does actually need help, or when she doesn't need help following her around the store waiting for her to need help.

5. 10-09-2019 05:00 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My issue with Jalopnik is crappy articles. Kristen Lee is probably my least favorite writer for Jalopnik.
      Jalopnik has always been a gossip website version of automotive journalism but at least it used to be entertaining. I especially liked the “The ten best getaway cars you can buy on eBay under $5,000” style articles where readers submit an ad with their explanation as to what makes it best. Now it is basically a venue for people to prove how “woke” they are... kind of like this thread. The good news is that I was notified by the PC police everyone who posted here gets 1,000 progressive points to be cashed in at your convenience. Congratulations!

6. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 05:02 PM #80
      I spent 10 years as an auto adjuster for an insurance company. I probably got 6-7 fuel mix-up claims a year (almost always gas in a diesel, so reverse of your sister). 100% of the claims were caused by women, normally the spouse/GF/daughter of the the person that normally drives the car, not remembering to put diesel at the pump. Coincidentally, a lot of these losses occured at BP stations, since the color of the pump handle is reversed (gas-green/diesel-black)
      Yes BP is a mindfk when it comes to pump colors

I was going to make a comment similar to this as all the mis fuels I could think of towed into dealerships I worked for were female owned/driven cars from memory but also diesel into gas so not terrible. BUT I lived in NJ so you couldn't pump your own gas so we always wondered how a literal professional f'd this up.. But then to add a twist legally you can pump diesel yourself in NJ. However since most diesel owners don't even know this I doubt that random gas vehicle owners would pull up to the wrong pump and think its the one gas one in the state that they can do themselves.

I was always told a diesel pump won't work in a gas car, but I never tried when I owned a diesel. I did have to argue with a few fuel attendants in OR when I owned a TDI Golf though.
      Having converted a gas car to a diesel, so it had a gas filler neck and could be a potential issue, luckily most stations are using the same nozzles on all the pumps so a diesel nozzle fits into a gas car fine (fine for me not for idiots). The diesel ones are supposed to be larger. This never made sense though because a gas car on diesel usually is fine or just doesn't run. But a diesel car on gas is done.

Later diesels had triggers that did not let you use a gas nozzle in the diesel filler neck because the smaller diameter nozzle would not trigger the little flap release and let fuel flow. Some some come with adapters for fitting high flow truck nozzles or the narrower passenger car gas nozzles.

7. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 05:05 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      NO. Involuntary manslaughter involves the accidental killing of another person due to some kind of negligent or reckless act. since, in this case, the negligence is not conforming to societal standards, or recklessly speaking an opposing opinion to the increasingly intolerant public, my point stands.
      no, you only further proved that you had no point at all.

The act and therefore fault is still on the incel.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      10-09-2019 05:07 PM #82
      I spent 10 years as an auto adjuster for an insurance company. I probably got 6-7 fuel mix-up claims a year (almost always gas in a diesel, so reverse of your sister). 100% of the claims were caused by women, normally the spouse/GF/daughter of the the person that normally drives the car, not remembering to put diesel at the pump. Coincidentally, a lot of these losses occured at BP stations, since the color of the pump handle is reversed (gas-green/diesel-black)

I was always told a diesel pump won't work in a gas car, but I never tried when I owned a diesel. I did have to argue with a few fuel attendants in OR when I owned a TDI Golf though.
      I had a 2011 Touareg TDI Exec. At a normal gas station, the nozzles are the same size between gasoline and diesel. There were, however, stations which only had the larger diesel nozzles which are designed for larger trucks- I guess so that they can fill the enormous tanks faster. That was a PITA, and hard to tell until you already swiped your card and pulled out the nozzle- that it was not going to fit.

So in theory, you could put a diesel pump in a gas car, and vice versa. Particularly at stations which do not frequent semis- further away from interstates in the burbs.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      10-09-2019 05:10 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Even in your anecdote, why would anyone take the message away from that as "boys are being left behind?" Sometimes well intentioned "gentlemen" initiate unwanted interactions that may come across as creepy or patronizing, then get all flabbergasted when a woman doesn't appreciate their gallantry.Our manhood is safe, it's just that some may be skeptical about chivalrous behavior.
      It wasn't about "boys being left behind". At the core it was about being a good person to your fellow person. As I mentioned I would have offered the same courtesy regardless of sex. I've misjudged whether or not I needed a cart before myself.

Bottom line is whether men or women people are way too easily offended these days. It's a shame that people with good manners and intentions are going to stop practicing them because they might be perceived as an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I love it when men try to mansplain what it's like to be a woman. Totes adorbs! You go! You got this! You keep trying, and maybe one day, you'll actually get it!

So you posted a thread to stop broad generalizations about women and now you are following up with broad generalizations about men? You're right, we men have it so easy. :cavemanscratchinghead:

10. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      10-09-2019 05:10 PM #84
      I don't even know what we're talking about anymore.
      Instagram - efrie004

11. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 05:12 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Where our nozzles fit.

12. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 05:15 PM #86
      don't patronize me. it's fair to say you live in a completely different world.
      I live in the part of the world where we don’t blame women for things that aren’t their fault. I’m sorry you live in the other part.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      10-09-2019 05:24 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      That women belong in the kitchen and not pumping gas

/s

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      10-09-2019 05:36 PM #88
      Yes BP is a mindfk when it comes to pump colors
      I almost made the mistake at a BP in Maryland. Pulled the green handle out and was like wait - this nozzle is too small. If I had stayed up any later with coworkers I probably would have started the pump.

10-09-2019 05:49 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      It wasn't about "boys being left behind". At the core it was about being a good person to your fellow person. As I mentioned I would have offered the same courtesy regardless of sex. I've misjudged whether or not I needed a cart before myself.

Bottom line is whether men or women people are way too easily offended these days. It's a shame that people with good manners and intentions are going to stop practicing them because they might be perceived as an insult.
      Who says people should stop practicing good manners? For every “crazy lady gets mad at me for being a gentleman” story, how many do you have where someone thanks you for holding the door open, or letting them get off the train/plane first? I work in the epicenter of what some people would describe as “what’s wrong with society” ie SJW heaven, and I’ve never had someone get mad at me for being polite. But sometimes people take politeness a little overboard and it becomes overbearing, and people respond negatively to it. It could be well intentioned, but you don’t get to decide how someone interprets your interaction with them. Shouldn’t stop you from continuing to be polite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      10-09-2019 05:56 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I love it when men try to mansplain what it's like to be a woman. Totes adorbs! You go! You got this! You keep trying, and maybe one day, you'll actually get it!

Women are just like men, only different. Right?

Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, VVTI-swapped JZX90 Mark II, JZS149 Crown Majesta, JZS147 Aristo 3.0V
      10-09-2019 06:03 PM #91
      I listened to this podcast (which I never do because I prefer listening to music podcasts personally) due to the subject matter, and I am incredibly upset and distraught over what these women had to go through as women being around cars on a regular basis.

**** all these misogynistic macho douchebros laden with toxic masculinity, you scum are a cancer to society.

18. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 06:22 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      I listened to this podcast (which I never do because I prefer listening to music podcasts personally) due to the subject matter, and I am incredibly upset and distraught over what these women had to go through as women being around cars on a regular basis.

**** all these misogynistic macho douchebros laden with toxic masculinity, you scum are a cancer to society.
      This post made me feel bad about driving home to the 90s hip hop pandora station, possibly the most misogynistic station? so I'm downloading the podcast now

Vehicles
      2017 GTI
      10-09-2019 06:38 PM #93
      Yeah, there were barely any females in my flight school. The few that were there were usually treated like crap by a lot of students, or like raw meat by the others. I always said "guys, if we included more women here, I wouldn't have to drive 100 miles south to ASU every time I want to have sex."
      only took two pages b4 you brought up the pilot bit.....
      My glass is half-full of empty

Vehicles
      10-speed bike
      10-09-2019 06:56 PM #94

The act and therefore fault is still on the incel.
      Hey, bro, victim blaming isn't cool.

I live in the part of the world where we don’t blame women for things that aren’t their fault. I’m sorry you live in the other part.
      I'm not
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      I'm a pigeon playing chess.

21. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 07:10 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      only took two pages b4 you brought up the pilot bit.....
      Man, it was really fun to bring it up where it was actually relevant for once. I usually have to work it in there in an odd way.

I'm not
      Oh, so we don't live in vastly different worlds like you thought we did?
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      10-09-2019 07:20 PM #96
      Lotta men in this thread being the exact kind of *******s that Katherine and the women on the podcast are talking about. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

23. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      10-09-2019 07:25 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Lotta men in this thread being the exact kind of *******s that Katherine and the women on the podcast are talking about. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

Well that's generous of you.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      10-09-2019 07:29 PM #98
      But gender doesn't exist?

That's going to be hard to unpack, but if you want to try, go for it.
      Ehhh, I understand where he was headed with this.

https://www.cantechletter.com/2017/0...idiots-tv-ads/

https://www.sheknows.com/entertainme...t-towards-men/

I mean I could go full Bill Burr on the subject. ([rant])

I was a part of a conversation where two women were lauding another woman's husband for cooking "oh MY man would never do that!" "oh neither would mine" and they proceeded to make their men look small or feel small in comparison.

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed and a guy's wife was doing a task deemed "manly" and I decided to acknowledge it and put down my wife and her friend for not changing the oil in our car? "Honey look at her go, wow MY wife never changes our oil! Hey Mike, get a load of Jeff's wife changing the oil! Wow. I WISH!"

It's completely socially acceptable for women to talk about the shortcomings of their men openly in a room where the men and women are all present. They can mock their man, or each others' men. But if you did that to a woman as a guy in the room? If you tried to point out some negative thing or shortcoming of a woman?

Look I understand the irony in the above statement of pink work/blue work and how that doesn't apply to every situation. And men certainly aren't above doing dishes or cooking, and plenty of women (including Alex) know what they're doing when it comes to wrenching on cars. But historically, there are compartmentalized "roles". The funny aspect is that

Double standards are everywhere. Sexism works both ways, men have just been taught that we're ****ing dummies and just suck it up. We aren't (historically) as emotional. And then you have all the suicide and mental health that goes along with men not opening up enough for fear of being judged. We could go on for days, but just because men don't experience it the same way women do doesn't mean we don't have our own set of struggles or stigmas to contend with.

How many men here know of another man who has killed himself because he couldn't face being a failure or admit what is perceived as weakness (drugs/alcohol/financial/career failure/depression)?

Sorry but it's not so cut and dry. This in no way detracts from Alex's cause, i'm just saying we're all eating the same giant **** sandwich in different ways. The argument has merit but let's not lose perception on this being one GIANT huge social issue on both sides and not such a narrow window target aimed at just women. Just because men don't react or admit it doesn't mean things that are said or happen to them in life don't affect them.

Part of it has to do with personality types, and some of it is biological. A lot of guys have been emotionally trained to let stuff go or to be stronger than what's said to them. My mom still has grudges from when she was a teenager. My dad couldn't give two ****s about what happened yesterday. Everyone is so focused on meeting some expectation or seeking validation. That's the biggest flaw in our society. Few people do things for themselves and their own personal growth only with no boost to their ego. Bullying isn't the problem in school, teaching your kids that the most important thing is how many instagram followers they have is the problem. Validation through the acceptance of peers.

If this is so much of a thing why did so many guys respect Jessi Combs? Or Michele Mouton?

Does Doug Demuro get an automatic pass and respect as though he's Clarkson just because he's male?

Meanwhile men are made to feel guilty like the "Toxic Masculinity" commercial from Gillette recently. The same Gillette that charges more for pink razors marketed to women than their male marketed products.

I think this whole issue has less to do with sexism and more to do with just low hanging fruit. The easiest difference to acknowledge will be the one that gets harped on the most in almost any social situation. Male, female, gay, transgender, religion, nationality, race, neighbourhood etc. In groupthink situations where there is one thing that is a commonality among the majority they will by default make note of the simplest most obvious thing to make fun of that will be supported by the group because that one thing is the one difference they can all observe easily. That's not a defense of sexism, it shouldn't be tolerated. I'm just saying if I go to the Southern U.S. I know from experience i'm going to get harped on for being Canadian and talking funny from a group of guys. Because i'm different from them, that's the one obvious outcast thing to them that they can all harp on. [/rant}
      Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 10-09-2019 at 07:55 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      10-09-2019 07:34 PM #99
      I'm amused this Car thing also turned to STEM. As I sit here with a daughter who has been encouraged to look into both, but has expressed interest in neither.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      My sister did an IG story yesterday about all the men that come running up to her at gas stations, shouting at her that she's putting diesel in her X5. Never once has her husband or her sons been accosted in such a manner.
      I have. It was quite common at the time.

One of my suggested responses for her was: "If you come any closer, I'm going to stick this nozzle so far up your ass you're going to be paying $3.25 every time you burp."
      Matt was right. You try too f**king hard, and it's painful.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

10-09-2019 08:31 PM #100
      Actually I only just recently found out that men aren't ever supposed to be helpful for women. It's considered benevolent sexism - a way for men to exert authority over women and declare their superiority. It seems bass-ackwards to me, but apparently that's just how it is now. Men aren't allowed to help women anymore because it takes away their agency and portrays women as powerless. Fine by me, I guess, it means less work on my part and women get the satisfaction of knowing their accomplishments are truly their own.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast