The Car Lounge

Thread: Historical Car Insurance

Hybrid View

1. Senior Member
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Vehicles
      grey ghost wagon and a 944
      10-09-2019 11:55 AM #1
      So I forget who I had with my squareback. There's probably a document stuffed in the back of a filing cabinet that I can't find.

Who's about insuring really old cars these days? I have a p-car that's 35 years old and I have it on my regular policy and it's pretty pricey. I think target should be under $100 for a year policy, but I could be way off base now.
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Vehicles
      '91 Porsche 964, '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster, '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
      10-09-2019 12:01 PM #2
      Leland-West (I use them for my Porsches)
      Hagerty
      Grundy
      Chubb

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      10-09-2019 12:02 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
      So I forget who I had with my squareback. There's probably a document stuffed in the back of a filing cabinet that I can't find.

Who's about insuring really old cars these days? I have a p-car that's 35 years old and I have it on my regular policy and it's pretty pricey. I think target should be under $100 for a year policy, but I could be way off base now.
      As long as it’s NOT your only car, and it’s NEVER used to go back and forth to work, and its ALWAYS garaged, you can often get antique collectors insurance cheap.

*YMMV, but this is commonly the rules they make. They want to make sure there is no chance of this thing being used on a regular basis,
      *That’s my policy for my one garaged classic. Everything else that sits outside is disqualified has normal insurance. They are all under insured because of it.

4. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      10-09-2019 12:09 PM #4
      My parents, and most of our friends with old cars, all use Arkansas Farm Bureau. It's also their primary, but their rates for antique cars is astoundingly affordable.

Now that no kids are on their policy I believe the '77 Super Beetle is $110 per year for full coverage, with an established worth of $12,000.
      Instagram - efrie004

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-09-2019 12:20 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      As long as it’s NOT your only car, and it’s NEVER used to go back and forth to work, and its ALWAYS garaged, you can often get antique collectors insurance cheap.

*YMMV, but this is commonly the rules they make. They want to make sure there is no chance of this thing being used on a regular basis,
      *That’s my policy for my one garaged classic. Everything else that sits outside is disqualified has normal insurance. They are all under insured because of it.
      I spend a couple hundred on agreed-value insurance, but I can drive it to work or anywhere else I want. The stipulation is that it's supposed to be under 1,000 miles per year, but it's never checked. I'm so far under right now (I've had it 9 years) that I could daily it for most of the year and be fine. I'm not going to do that, but I do occasionally drive it to/from work. I don't like driving a 1700 lb. cracker box with drum brakes in rush hour traffic on the highway, so I don't do that often.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      10-09-2019 12:26 PM #6
      We have Grundy on our '82 Rabbit Pickup and '84 Jetta. Both garaged. Agreed value, no mileage limit, and they seem to be much more lax about driving them to work, etc. as long as its not a regular thing. We had to show that we had a daily driver per car, but it was a pretty painless process to get the insurance on them. We had the Jetta on our regular insurance policy liability only, and for both on Grundy with comp, its less expensive than the Jetta was on its own. Totally worth it.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

7. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 12:36 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      We had the Jetta on our regular insurance policy liability only, and for both on Grundy with comp, its less expensive than the Jetta was on its own. Totally worth it.
      This seems to be the theme, I've started to tell everyone with a second car to at least look into these types of policies.

Other company I heard of was american modern but I can't say their terms were that great. (think this was Illinois) but it was like 650 a year for 20k value on an S4 with a 3k miles limit for the example I read.

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      10-09-2019 12:40 PM #8
      I insured my minty NA Miata (1990) with American Collectors (affiliated with Geico). I had a ~$8,000 valuation on the car and paid about $200-$300 a year. I can't remember exactly.
      Last edited by Smigelski; 10-09-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      10-09-2019 12:44 PM #9
      I did Haggerty with my 997. I don't commute in it. I know it's supposed to be a good daily driver and it is, but not with how big my kid's backpacks are and how little they care/value the car. Agreed value on the car and I can only hope that someone steals it sends it to Africa.

Vehicles
      01 Tial 605 S4; 01 Maxima; 18 4Runner ORP
      10-09-2019 01:54 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      We have Grundy on our '82 Rabbit Pickup and '84 Jetta. Both garaged. Agreed value, no mileage limit, and they seem to be much more lax about driving them to work, etc. as long as its not a regular thing. We had to show that we had a daily driver per car, but it was a pretty painless process to get the insurance on them. Totally worth it.
      Exactly the same experience that I've had with Grundy on my S4. Painless and only had to prove that I had a daily driver and a garage.
      Go Pack Go!
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      A friend of mine is at law school at Gonzaga. He says Spokane is a real **** show. Florida of the Pacific Northwest...

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      10-09-2019 12:26 PM #11

What's the recommendation?

Yes, it's a second car. I work from home, so maybe it's a work car that doesn't move!

I'd drive it maybe 2 times a month, maybe 10 if the weather is cooler.

Thanks Chris! I have put on 6k miles on the bmw in 11 months. You can say I don't drive much. Referral? I'll check them out.
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      10-09-2019 12:35 PM #12
      I use Hagerty for the GTO and the Rabbit, the two cars with an agreed value of $35k combined costs me $100/month. Driveway parked. No mileage limitation.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

13. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      10-09-2019 12:57 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      I use Hagerty for the GTO and the Rabbit, the two cars with an agreed value of $35k combined costs me $100/month. Driveway parked. No mileage limitation.

So does Hagerty care about inside/outside as a requirement? AGV seems like a lot, but I'll assume outside parking is a little more.

I'm back and forth on shoehorning cars in the garage vs keeping one outside.

14. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      10-09-2019 12:59 PM #14
      So does Hagerty care about inside/outside as a requirement? AGV seems like a lot, but I'll assume outside parking is a little more.

in my experience, yes

15. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      10-09-2019 01:17 PM #15

Hagerty didn't like my E9 being parked in a shared garage vs my own personal one at my condo complex, so I went with Geico's classic car insurance. I didn't even know that they had that until I call them to get any policy on it while I searched for something other than Hagerty. Geico was cheap, and we had an agreed value on the car.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      10-09-2019 03:38 PM #16

I've seen other companies, but I called them and spoke about it, Rabbit alone was $550 for the year. The rate may have been much cheaper if I had it in a locked garage but unfortunately that isn't an option where I am.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

17. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 12:51 PM #17

Thanks Chris! I have put on 6k miles on the bmw in 11 months. You can say I don't drive much. Referral? I'll check them out.

Since it needs to go through a local agent not sure this guy could help you as he likely isn't licensed down there. Plus he is pissing me off on our homeowners policy so right now he gets no referrals until this is fixed

Their discounts get pretty deep as you add cars because while legally each car has to be insured (in most states) they sort of treat it like they are insuring you and you can't drive them all at the same time. Which is why I suggested seeing if they will allow the BMW under this policy. The GF quote from them on just her sentra with a standard policy was 25% more than my 3 cars valued at 15x more...

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      10-09-2019 01:00 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Since it needs to go through a local agent not sure this guy could help you as he likely isn't licensed down there. Plus he is pissing me off on our homeowners policy so right now he gets no referrals until this is fixed

Their discounts get pretty deep as you add cars because while legally each car has to be insured (in most states) they sort of treat it like they are insuring you and you can't drive them all at the same time. Which is why I suggested seeing if they will allow the BMW under this policy. The GF quote from them on just her sentra with a standard policy was 25% more than my 3 cars valued at 15x more...
      Well, you have always been good with advice, and I appreciate it. Sounds like a local call here. Thanks man! I'm good on the regular policy, it's just super expensive right now compared to a collector policy.

19. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      10-09-2019 12:46 PM #19

x2

though in my experience they make exceptions for testing, preparing for shows, etc.
      proving that youre using it as a commuter seems tough. but they were adamant about it being parked overnight in a "secured garage"

i dont recall there being a mileage limit, and in all cases the value was agreed based on (a lot) of photos to show condition and them finding comparable cars. the mg is a bit under valued i think, but they were pretty generous with the RR as i recall

thats been my experience on the rolls royce when we had it, on my MG, and on a couple of the various random old vws throughtout the years. ive had safeco classic and i believe the mg is on hagerty now, i dont remember

i dont think any of them have ever cost more than ~$200/yr

20. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 12:11 PM #20
      American National will insure your BMW and the 944 on the same CHROME policy assuming that you don't need to put more than 10k a year on the BMW and will probably cost less than you are paying now for the BMW. They are only through local agents though

Their quote was 25 bucks less for 6 month for my A3, allroad, and rabbit truck with full coverage compared to esurance with just liablity on the a3 and allroad. The rabbit truck was 96 for 6 months but that was after heavy discounts for the other 2 being on that policy. But they also valued it at 15k for some reason 100 a year seems unlikely for a single car on the policy, but maybe.

Grundy is not bad with driving cars regularly as far as I understand but might have a more strict mileage limit than AN, I think you had to call to get a quote so I never did.

When I got a Hagerty quote on my jeep and rabbit truck the price was very good but they wouldn't touch my A3 (had to be worth lots more since it wasn't old). Forget mileage limits, but it was actually only a few bucks more and they would cover damage done offroad in the jeep.

I saw another name the other day but blanking on what it was, if I find it I'll edit the post.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      10-09-2019 01:50 PM #21
      American National will insure your BMW and the 944 on the same CHROME policy assuming that you don't need to put more than 10k a year on the BMW and will probably cost less than you are paying now for the BMW. They are only through local agents though

Their quote was 25 bucks less for 6 month for my A3, allroad, and rabbit truck with full coverage compared to esurance with just liablity on the a3 and allroad. The rabbit truck was 96 for 6 months but that was after heavy discounts for the other 2 being on that policy. But they also valued it at 15k for some reason 100 a year seems unlikely for a single car on the policy, but maybe.

Grundy is not bad with driving cars regularly as far as I understand but might have a more strict mileage limit than AN, I think you had to call to get a quote so I never did.

When I got a Hagerty quote on my jeep and rabbit truck the price was very good but they wouldn't touch my A3 (had to be worth lots more since it wasn't old). Forget mileage limits, but it was actually only a few bucks more and they would cover damage done offroad in the jeep.

I saw another name the other day but blanking on what it was, if I find it I'll edit the post.
      I got excited about this and went off to get a quote for my GTI and 993 from American National. The GTI quote came in about $400 higher per year than my current AAA insurance. The 993 came in at $1,200/yr for agreed value of $60k at 2k miles per year. My Grundy 993 for $60k/2.5k per year is $300/yr. Guess their rates suck in CA.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

22. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 02:40 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I got excited about this and went off to get a quote for my GTI and 993 from American National. The GTI quote came in about $400 higher per year than my current AAA insurance. The 993 came in at $1,200/yr for agreed value of $60k at 2k miles per year. My Grundy 993 for $60k/2.5k per year is $300/yr. Guess their rates suck in CA.
      Hmm was this under their chrome policy?

The standard is 10k miles on that so it sounds weird that it had a 2k limit.

Obviously things vary a lot state to state and driver to driver but that difference is crazy.

I'm at about 50k combined value for the 3 and under 800 for the year.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      10-09-2019 02:42 PM #23
      Hmm was this under their chrome policy?

The standard is 10k miles on that so it sounds weird that it had a 2k limit.

Obviously things vary a lot state to state and driver to driver but that difference is crazy.

I'm at about 50k combined value for the 3 and under 800 for the year.
      No, I just clicked on Get a Quote, ran it for the GTI, then clicked on Collector Car and Get a Quote again. Where do I find this chrome thing?
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

24. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 02:54 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      No, I just clicked on Get a Quote, ran it for the GTI, then clicked on Collector Car and Get a Quote again. Where do I find this chrome thing?
      Ah that makes sense the chrome one is just through local agents I believe.

On my phone can't seem to find the direct link but here's some hot rod thing about it:

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/chrome...e#.XZ4rv7cpB-E

Your Grundy price doesn't seem bad, but yeah if you can save throwing the gti on as a modern hot rod( the m in chrome) can't hurt to try.