VWVortex.com - Looking for some guidance from the form pro's!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looking for some guidance from the form pro's!

1. 10-09-2019 02:19 PM #1
      Hello all, I'm in dire need of some advice from the 1.8T experts here. I've once again listened to the wrong person and would like to see what would be best for my application. I have a 2001 Audi TT roadster 225 that has become the money pit. Here is my current build:
      wideband O2 conversion
      144x20 IE tuscan riffled rods
      ARP Main studs
      stock AMU crank
      Stock AMU pistons
      AGU head
      ARP head bolts.... (don't ask)
      Supertech ultimate road cams
      supertech valve train
      IE cam timing adjuster
      IE manual belt tensioner
      CTS T3 manifold
      Turbosmart 38mm 14 psi
      Garrett GTX3576R gen II
      IE intake stock TB
      1000cc bosch injectors
      DW65 fuel pump
      wagner front mount intercooler
      3in MAF housing
      3in stainless exhaust

This thing doesn't make boost until 4500 rpm, 1st and 2nd gear are useless. I believe this turbo is too big, I've been told that my CTS exhaust manifold and the 38mm wastegate are holding me back as well (aside from pistons). Before I go and make another costly purchase of yet another turbo could I get some advice? I want this car to be crazy fast quarter mile but also something i could take on a road course. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf GTI 20v
      10-09-2019 04:55 PM #2
      I don't really know what I'm talking about but I'll reply anyway...

That turbo appears to be massive for a 1.8t, just not enough displacement.

You could increase displacement to 2L by replacing your crankshaft with a 2L TSFI OEM forged example.

Boba Motorsport has a GTX42 on a 2L 16v, but he stalls his car at 6500rpm before he launches. Even with all the mods he has on a lightweight mk2 shell its doing an 8.x sec quarter.

https://youtu.be/wLA_489zISw

If you want to do both drag and road and a fun daily drive, I would be making the turbo smaller..

4. 10-10-2019 02:13 PM #3
      Appreciate the reply!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member Pat @ Pitt Soundworks's Avatar
      10-12-2019 03:02 PM #4
      That's a huge turbo for 1.8L of displacement. Even bumping up to 2L isn't going to make it spool significantly faster. Turbo sizing for road course is significantly different than for drag racing. I would drop down to a smaller turbo. The new G2 -550 series would be great, or an EFR 6758. It depends on how fast "crazy fast" is and how much hp you want.

Or get a standalone and use rolling anti-lag.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta GLI
      10-12-2019 05:45 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by lukobravo View Post
      Hello all, I'm in dire need of some advice from the 1.8T experts here. I've once again listened to the wrong person and would like to see what would be best for my application. I have a 2001 Audi TT roadster 225 that has become the money pit. Here is my current build:
      wideband O2 conversion
      144x20 IE tuscan riffled rods
      ARP Main studs
      stock AMU crank
      Stock AMU pistons
      AGU head
      ARP head bolts.... (don't ask)
      Supertech ultimate road cams
      supertech valve train
      IE cam timing adjuster
      IE manual belt tensioner
      CTS T3 manifold
      Turbosmart 38mm 14 psi
      Garrett GTX3576R gen II
      IE intake stock TB
      1000cc bosch injectors
      DW65 fuel pump
      wagner front mount intercooler
      3in MAF housing
      3in stainless exhaust

This thing doesn't make boost until 4500 rpm, 1st and 2nd gear are useless. I believe this turbo is too big, I've been told that my CTS exhaust manifold and the 38mm wastegate are holding me back as well (aside from pistons). Before I go and make another costly purchase of yet another turbo could I get some advice? I want this car to be crazy fast quarter mile but also something i could take on a road course. Thanks in advance.
      "I want this car to be crazy fast quarter mile but also something i could take on a road course." Sorry man but this is impossible on this small displacement engine. You have to make a decision-is it fully racing car or everyday street fast car. If it's racing only-you have a good setup except for pistons. Rise the RPM limit to 7800-8000, put the DSG transmission on it, adjust the shifting points-and you will have a fast quarter-mile car. For the street setup-try to put AMG CLA45 turbocharger-and you will have reliable good 400 crank hp. More than enough for a fast city car.