VWVortex.com - My Fluidamper was out of Balance...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My Fluidamper was out of Balance...

1. 10-09-2019 04:01 PM #1
      The good people at Double J had a machine shop test my fluidamoer vs. a stock pulley and the Fludamper was not balanced spinning on it's own. Pretty interesting info considering that I have had issues with vibrations and bolts backing out...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      MK6 Golf R
      10-09-2019 04:04 PM #2
      Interestinggggggggg........ i have a neuspeed i wanted to shed some weight. If that heavier one from fluidampr isnt balanced that thing could be very forceful in throwing stuff off. Did you feel noticeable vibs? “Nvh”
      MKVI Golf R
      Stage 2+
      IG: Charlotte.Mk6R

4. 10-09-2019 04:20 PM #3
      well, I had a series of clutch issues... bolts backing out and then catastrophic failure. Another guy that had a DKM twin disk got a Fluidampoer and his clutch failed right after too.. It is a common denominator is some clutch issues. I then found other loose bolts later as well including the motor mount bolts... So something was going on.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      VW GTI Mk6 CSG 3D :: Jeep WJ
      10-09-2019 08:50 PM #4
      who did your installs?
      Mk6 GTI, CSG 6MT with some mods. UM tune coming soon.

VAGCOM in Southern NH... DM if needed.

Vehicles
      2004 RS .:R32T/ 2012 DBP Golf R
      10-11-2019 05:09 PM #5
      Isn't that the point of a Fluidampr? Whatever viscous fluid inside is going to get flung around but I thought the idea was it's out of balance in a specific phase.
      Last edited by thatsboot; 10-11-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Vehicles
      MK6 Golf R
      10-11-2019 06:37 PM #6
      No the point was added weight in those specific spots in the wheel to oscillate the vibrations a bit more. If its not accurate in doing so it will make it much worse.
      MKVI Golf R
      Stage 2+

Vehicles
      MK6 Golf R
      10-11-2019 06:40 PM #7
      “The Fluidampr replaces your crank pulley to control the harmonics through all RPM ranges of your engine. The precision machined and balanced internal inertia ring inside the precision machined and balanced housing is constantly shearing through the silicone while the engine is turning, tuning to the harmonic frequency bandwidths that your engine is producing real time. Rubber (elastomeric) dampers are only tuned for a specific narrow bandwidth of harmonics and they cannot tune up or down to what your engine is producing. They also wear out and have to be rebuilt or re-tuned frequently. Our Fluidampr products never wear out or have to be re-tuned, as they are constantly balancing the engine to max efficiency via the internal inertia ring. Fluidampr also helps to calm down the chatter associated with double disc clutches.”
      MKVI Golf R
      Stage 2+

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-12-2019 12:23 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by thatsboot View Post
      Isn't that the point of a Fluidampr? Whatever viscous fluid inside is going to get flung around but I thought the idea was it's out of balance in a specific phase.
      No, it doesn't get 'flung around', it shears to absorb harmonic differences between the inner and outer rings. It works basically the same way as a dual-mass flywheel, but it uses the fluid instead of springs.

11. 10-16-2019 08:42 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jed02gtiguy View Post
      well, I had a series of clutch issues... bolts backing out and then catastrophic failure. Another guy that had a DKM twin disk got a Fluidampoer and his clutch failed right after too.. It is a common denominator is some clutch issues. I then found other loose bolts later as well including the motor mount bolts... So something was going on.
      Has that person had their fluidampr checked? Was the issue brought up with Fluidampr directly?

12. 10-17-2019 12:11 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Has that person had their fluidampr checked? Was the issue brought up with Fluidampr directly?
      Looks like we found the cause of the vibrations... Bad Thrust Bearing.

13. 10-17-2019 12:48 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Looks like we found the cause of the vibrations... Bad Thrust Bearing.