VWVortex.com - Tires on aftermarket wheels at Costco?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires on aftermarket wheels at Costco?

Vehicles
      Clown Cars and P-Cars
      10-09-2019 04:50 PM #1
      Does Costco install tires on aftermarket wheels?

They have the best prices on a set of tires installed I'm looking at, but these wheels are not on my car and are different than the factory specs (997).

I've tried calling my local one but they haven't answered the phone.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '12 Miata, '14 ML350, '03 FLHTCUI, E36 & E39
      10-09-2019 05:04 PM #2
      If they're like any other tire center they'll install on bare wheels as long as they don't feel like it's being stretched. If it's ultra low profile (35 ratio) they may not be able to do it if their equipment can't handle it. When I had my Cayman S some shops told me they couldn't mount on 19" wheels.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      10-09-2019 05:05 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
      Does Costco install tires on aftermarket wheels?

They have the best prices on a set of tires installed I'm looking at, but these wheels are not on my car and are different than the factory specs (997).

I've tried calling my local one but they haven't answered the phone.
      I've never heard of a tire shop categorically refusing to install tires on aftermarket wheels. They might refuse to install tires that are way off spec for the wheel (extreme stretch or poke), super low profile tires, or oversized wheels that are beyond the capacity of their tire machine.

5. 10-09-2019 05:13 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I've never heard of a tire shop categorically refusing to install tires on aftermarket wheels. They might refuse to install tires that are way off spec for the wheel (extreme stretch or poke), super low profile tires, or oversized wheels that are beyond the capacity of their tire machine.
      Some Costcos are very picky and won't install tires that aren't the factory size, but that's if they're mounting them on the vehicle. In practice, they'll mount whatever to the rims, and then you can take them home and put them on the car yourself.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-09-2019 05:16 PM #5
      They definitely suck on phone skills, you have to go in and chat with one of the techs in person. But if you explain the difference in wheel size, and you're not doing some crazy stretch/fitment BS, it shouldn't be a problem.

7. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      10-09-2019 05:21 PM #6
      that would be the strangest thing ive heard from a tire center

Vehicles
      Clown Cars and P-Cars
      10-09-2019 05:30 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      that would be the strangest thing ive heard from a tire center
      Well...

On my M Roadster the rear tire size was 245/45/17 and when I ordered 255/45/17 rears they absolutely refused to mount them on my car stating it's not what was stated from the factory. That was in a different state however, so I don't know if they will be any better here in CA.

9. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 05:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
      Well...

On my M Roadster the rear tire size was 245/45/17 and when I ordered 255/45/17 rears they absolutely refused to mount them on my car stating it's not what was stated from the factory. That was in a different state however, so I don't know if they will be any better here in CA.
      Their official corporate policy is that the tires must match size, speed rating, and load capacity from the factory or was a factory option. They will go higher, so you can get a higher speed rating but they will not allow you to install a lower speed rating.

So if your 255 would go against that if no factory application called for a 255 for your vehicle.

If you go in with aftermarket 18s on a car that came with 17s but 18s were an option they should have no problem installing tires as long as the size of 18s you chose is one that they can find was factory available as they wouldn't really know if your car came with the 17s or 18s. If there was no 18" option showing in their system they may refuse to install.

Vehicles
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      10-09-2019 05:46 PM #9
      From my experience.
      Costco Tire shop on the phone is a crap shoot. They are quite busy, and often have at most 2 people working the counters I have visited, so phones get ignored.

They should not have an issue installing on aftermarket wheels, or even mounting tires to loose wheels.

However, some Costcos are picky... my friend told me that at her last visit the tech told her that costco would no longer mount non-costco bought tires... I havent had this issue, but its possible.

They seem to always be busy. Best bet is to go visit the counter and set an appointment.
      If you want to walk in, get there before opening and wait for the doors to open. I got there exactly at opening time for a walk in appt, and was still 7th in line.

If you want to do something a bit different, non-oem etc...
      Discount Tire has never had any issues with mounting anything I asked of them. Wider tires, larger tires, light stretch tires, onto spacers, onto bolt pattern adapters... etc

The only thing they put up a fight about was mounting up some older snows I had that were at about 40%... but they still did it.
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 10-09-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      10-09-2019 05:47 PM #10
      They had no issues doing a plus zero when they didn't carry anything in our old car's oddball OEM size (165/65-14, went up to 175/60-14).

My old Civic Si spec'd a V-rated tire, and their tire selector will only show tires with the appropriate speed rating. I wanted to put some new tires on it before I gave it to my mom, so I found some H-rated Bridgestones that were cheaper and brought in the part numbers. After saying "how did you find that?" they installed them but said the handling might be slightly degraded.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-09-2019 06:39 PM #11
      Me: "Hi, I'd like a price on some tires."

Costco tire person: "Okay, what vehicle?"

Me: "It's a Tacoma, it's not stock, and I'm looking at 39x13.5r17 BFG KM3s."

Costco tire person: *Checks on computer* "They'll be $XYZ mounted and balanced." (Forgot the actual price, it's been a couple months)

Me: "I have beadlocks, you probably won't want to mount them."

Costco tire person: "Oh yeah, we can't touch those."

They were perfectly happy to mount some 39s for me (onto regular non-beadlock wheels) and that size obviously didn't come stock on a Toyota Tacoma.
      Last edited by Pnuu; 10-09-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 RS4 Muggy/TI, 2013 Touareg TDI
      10-09-2019 07:17 PM #12
      Here's my experience with Discount Tire B&M store in Layton, UT a few years back.

Just had my RS4 driven/delivered to me from DE to UT. 2200 miles or so, in late november. Quickly discovered DWS weren't going to cut it for the winter. Got lucky on CL and found a practically new set of Pirelli Sottezero in my factory size for 1/3 new cost.

Call Discount tire to inquire about mounting. "no problem, come on by". So I do. I have aftermarket wheels, Neuspeed something or other, 19x9.5 et25. Needed a 5mm spacer up front to clear brakes, 10mm in the back for looks. Got new, appropriate length bolts as well.

I'm there for an hour, can see my car through the window.. Service manager or whoever needs to talk to me. "I can't remount these wheels with those spacers.. In the State of Utah spacers are illegal equipment and I can't remount those wheels. It's unsafe." Said something about the bolts too, but can't remember, this was three years ago.

My rebuttal is one, the front wheels in particular won't go back on without the spacer. Two, I recited to him what my spacer sizes were, what the factory wheel bolt length is, and how I now had 10 bolts each that were specific to the front and rear ends of the car due to them being sized properly for said spacers. Three, if it was so unsafe, how did my car just cover 2200 miles in about 40 hours or so? The manager looking clearly defeated and outmatched remounted my wheels.

What does UT code say about spacers?

"Except for original equipment, a person may not use spacers to increase wheel track width of a vehicle"

And then:

"If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition."

I highly doubt he knew the verbiage to the code and whether or not I increased the wheel track of my vehicle (certainly did though)

Anyways, that whole story is to illustrate how these corporate chain monkey shows think about any job deemed "non-standard", which is the original issue at hand.

14. Senior Member
      10-09-2019 08:15 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post

Anyways, that whole story is to illustrate how these corporate chain monkey shows think about any job deemed "non-standard", which is the original issue at hand.
      No your story illustrates they knew the law.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-09-2019 09:33 PM #14

I'm there for an hour, can see my car through the window.. Service manager or whoever needs to talk to me. "I can't remount these wheels with those spacers.. In the State of Utah spacers are illegal equipment and I can't remount those wheels. It's unsafe." Said something about the bolts too, but can't remember, this was three years ago.

My rebuttal is one, the front wheels in particular won't go back on without the spacer. Two, I recited to him what my spacer sizes were, what the factory wheel bolt length is, and how I now had 10 bolts each that were specific to the front and rear ends of the car due to them being sized properly for said spacers. Three, if it was so unsafe, how did my car just cover 2200 miles in about 40 hours or so? The manager looking clearly defeated and outmatched remounted my wheels.

What does UT code say about spacers?

"Except for original equipment, a person may not use spacers to increase wheel track width of a vehicle"

And then:

"If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition."

I highly doubt he knew the verbiage to the code and whether or not I increased the wheel track of my vehicle (certainly did though)

The manager wasn't "defeated and outmatched", he was thoroughly annoyed with you and wanted you out of his store.

According to the laws you posted wheel spacers are illegal in Utah. How did your car cover 2200 miles? Illegally, once it was in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      This.

The easy solution for getting tires mounted on any car that's not stock is to bring in the wheels and tires off the car, have tires swapped, then take them back home and install on the car yourself. If you're not capable of that find a shop that handles modified cars and is willing to take on the liability.
      Last edited by Pnuu; 10-09-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      10-09-2019 09:43 PM #15
      Yep, a friend of mine bought an aftermarket set for his BMW Touring.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      10-10-2019 12:12 AM #16
      Costco tire center is perpetually in CYA mode, so the chances of them putting non-stock (or optional) size tires on is slim. Aside from that they shouldn't care too much. I did have a location refuse to remount my wheels once they saw the adapter style spacers underneath (for my van of all things!). on the other hand, I've also had them mount tires that I've purchased over a year later, which is very cool. Gotta get in on those savings!

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      10-10-2019 04:21 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      This. I suspect the wheel track exemption was not intended for spacers, but wheels with non-standard offsets or widths, such as putting larger wheels and tires on an off-road vehicle that would see road use.

He was right, and likely didn't want to get into a p!ssing match with a wannabe pedant.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      10-10-2019 05:12 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      This. I suspect the wheel track exemption was not intended for spacers, but wheels with non-standard offsets or widths, such as putting larger wheels and tires on an off-road vehicle that would see road use.

He was right, and likely didn't want to get into a p!ssing match with a wannabe pedant.

im sure that same tech would almost certainly mount up a set of rubber-band "off road low-profile" tires on a set of american-forces for his diesel truck brethren without an issue when they poke 6+ inches from the wheel well....

purchase said tires from costco, if its really the cheaper option... then id find an enthusiast based, non-corporate shop who doesnt have a state law sized stick shoved up their a55 who will mount them up... problem solved....
      /| OMGHAI |\

10-10-2019 06:22 PM #19
      I came in hoping for Kirkland branded Rotiforms. I'm leaving disappointed.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      10-10-2019 07:16 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      I came in hoping for Kirkland branded Rotiforms. I'm leaving disappointed.
      You'd have to buy in bulk though, so you'd leave with 40 wheels in a cardboard produce box.

Vehicles
      2008 RS4 Muggy/TI, 2013 Touareg TDI
      10-10-2019 09:49 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      The manager wasn't "defeated and outmatched", he was thoroughly annoyed with you and wanted you out of his store.

According to the laws you posted wheel spacers are illegal in Utah. How did your car cover 2200 miles? Illegally, once it was in Utah.
      You only know this because I said so. The store manager did not know if my spacers "increased wheel track width" of my vehicle. But rock on. I'm sure you obey every law on the books in all aspects of your life, right?

23. Senior Member
      10-10-2019 10:01 PM #22
      You only know this because I said so. The store manager did not know if my spacers "increased wheel track width" of my vehicle. But rock on. I'm sure you obey every law on the books in all aspects of your life, right?
      100% of wheel spacers installs increase track width from not using them.

The law, as you quoted, does not specify over stock or anything else simply that adding spacers was against the law.

The store was right, you are and we're wrong.

Period

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-10-2019 11:37 PM #23
      Nope, my Tacoma could probably be written up for 10 violations right now. But I don't expect generic tire shops to touch the truck.

25. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      10-10-2019 11:51 PM #24
      [QUOTE=chris86vw;113786121]100% of wheel spacers installs increase track width from not using them.
      /QUOTE]

But not always when compared to stock wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

26. Senior Member
      10-11-2019 06:46 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post

But not always when compared to stock wheels.
      Unless he really poorly quoted the law, it doesn't say that so it doesn't matter.

100% of wheel spacers increase the track width over the wheels being used. The law does not say over stock in regards to spacers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast