VWVortex.com - Need a 1980 Rabbit Pickup Fuel Tank, where can I buy one?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need a 1980 Rabbit Pickup Fuel Tank, where can I buy one?

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      10-09-2019 08:06 PM #1
      I’m looking for a 80s mk1 pickup fuel tank, looking online I found that there’s a difference between a regular rabbit to the pickups. Anyone have any idea where I can get one ? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

10-09-2019 11:30 PM #2
      rabbit truck is truck only as you've found out.

gas and diesel are the same tank

they are hard to find in decent shape. your best bet is to pound the classifieds. I have a spare tank that needs some work, mostly minor but held on to it because they are impossible to find.

the sending unit is truck only as well, which adds to the joy of hunting these parts

4. 10-10-2019 01:07 PM #3
      Ya, thay are very rare to find anymore. There have been a couple companies that made new reproductions from aluminum. Not OEM type, but more of a fabricated design. One had an enlarged capacity. Another was shaped to help clear their air suspension system components. I don't recall the details or who made them. But see if you can find if any of those are still available. Otherwise the options seem to be try to have your old tank refurbished (if possible) or find a shop to custom make a new one for you. None of the options (including those aftermarket ones that were offered) are inexpensive though.
      As for the fuel level sender. You can take the parts from a new one for a sedan and rebuild yours by swapping the needed bits. The accuracy may be a little off (or should I say further off), but it is better than no gauge.