Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Head Unit upgrade for 2012 TDI w/Nav

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/Jetta/Sportswagon
      10-10-2019 07:35 AM #1
      I just bought a "fixed" TDI Jetta sportswagon. I love the MFI screen especially the compass and location section. I want to upgrade the unit since I want to add a back up camera and feel cheated if I buy a 125 dollar card "per guy at dealer" to upgrade the nav.

So I figured I would kill two birds with one stone if I purchase a new head unit. The only problem would be if the MFI still works. I want it to tell me what street and route I am in since I use it for work.

Any Ideas on what I should buy, or should I just pay for upgrade on Nav and purchase a rearview mirror with Camera. I seen a few that come with android auto, but I would seriously say no if i lose MFI function.

Thanks in advance,

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-10-2019 11:27 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Wowmom1 View Post
      I just bought a "fixed" TDI Jetta sportswagon. I love the MFI screen especially the compass and location section. I want to upgrade the unit since I want to add a back up camera and feel cheated if I buy a 125 dollar card "per guy at dealer" to upgrade the nav.

So I figured I would kill two birds with one stone if I purchase a new head unit. The only problem would be if the MFI still works. I want it to tell me what street and route I am in since I use it for work.

Any Ideas on what I should buy, or should I just pay for upgrade on Nav and purchase a rearview mirror with Camera. I seen a few that come with android auto, but I would seriously say no if i lose MFI function.

Thanks in advance,
      I think you have two options

1. upgrade to a factory nav radio

2. Get a kenwood radio that integrates with the idatalink Maestro RR and supports nav for that module

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/Jetta/Sportswagon
      10-10-2019 06:50 PM #3
      Ok, so a factory oem radio from vw that has back up will still work? The i data is not bad for under 100. Will it only have to be Kenwood? I see pioneer has some. The pioneer avic 7200nex looks pretty cool with all the features.
      Last edited by Wowmom1; 10-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 10-11-2019 11:35 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Wowmom1 View Post
      Ok, so a factory oem radio from vw that has back up will still work? The i data is not bad for under 100. Will it only have to be Kenwood? I see pioneer has some. The pioneer avic 7200nex looks pretty cool with all the features.
      You will need to install and code everything, but yes it will work. I havent looked into all the brand options as I went OEM route (had factory backup cam in my '14 JSW with rcd-510; swapped for rns-510 no issues). If you want to get a newer radio like the rcd-330 I believe you will need a new quadlock plug and canbus module, maybe a couple other things.

Kenwood had the first idatalink compatible radios. I personally like pioneer better for aftermarket decks, just dont know much about features and reliability for these configurations. Would definitely research all this stuff, but it gives you another option

7. 10-11-2019 03:09 PM #5
      The only aftermarket stereos that will display turn by turn in the MFI is Kenwood. The stereo has to have a Garmin based (I think it is Garmin?) navigation to be compatible with the MFI display. Even then, it has to be run through iMaestro.

Vehicles
      Wagons, Some two-wheeled Hondas
      10-12-2019 09:22 PM #6
      Buy an RCD330 (OEM piece in Chinese market)--direct fitment, works with steering wheel controls and has Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Prices range about $200-$250. Phone-based GPS is going to be 100x better than anything oem that came out in 2014.

Head unit itself is probably a 10min install. Only tricky/more involved part is running wiring for backup camera but lots of DIY guides out there.

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '14 JSW TDi
      10-13-2019 12:34 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Skycart View Post
      Buy an RCD330 (OEM piece in Chinese market)--direct fitment, works with steering wheel controls and has Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Prices range about $200-$250. Phone-based GPS is going to be 100x better than anything oem that came out in 2014.

Head unit itself is probably a 10min install. Only tricky/more involved part is running wiring for backup camera but lots of DIY guides out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93xqwdh_fqk/QUOTE]
      +1 for the RCD330, I love mine. Great plug and play solution that has Android Auto and Apple Car Play. The reverse cam shouldn't be too bad if he has to run one anyways. Lots of good info on the radio here - https://rcd330plus.com/
      Last edited by pipesta; 10-13-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6M, LUVVV IT
      10-14-2019 04:53 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by lamsv View Post
      The only aftermarket stereos that will display turn by turn in the MFI is Kenwood. The stereo has to have a Garmin based (I think it is Garmin?) navigation to be compatible with the MFI display. Even then, it has to be run through iMaestro.
      Kenwood. It may cost you more than a o.e.m. replacement but more than worth every penny IMO. According to Crutchfeild my DNN992 will retain all MFI features. This same unit transformed my 04 B5.5, (without the iMaestro)! Im hyped to see how my JSW mkVI will soon perform. The DNN992 was the flagship model back in 14' but all I still need. The DNX is the navigation line. The DNX995s is a great unit. Just make sure its in the eXcelon series

11. 10-16-2019 09:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Skycart View Post

I have an a factory back up camera will it work with the rcd330?

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '14 JSW TDi
      10-17-2019 09:10 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by SebastianLee View Post
      I have an a factory back up camera will it work with the rcd330?
      Yes. You will need to wire in a delay box though. Super easy. https://rcd330plus.com/showthread.php?tid=121