VWVortex.com - Turbosmart Kompact EM Series VR1
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Turbosmart Kompact EM Series VR1

1. 09-01-2018 11:24 AM #1
      I just wanted to see with you guys if anyone is using this BOV on their GTI.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Prod...-Port-VR1.html

I have a 2017 DSG GTI APR Stg2 and have this BOV it seems to be running ok but att mid throttle it stays open for a while. My best guess would be that since it is controlled by the ECU it might be openning under certain conditions ex: TCS and to prevent compressor surge. Turbosmart wants me to return it for inspection under warranty but I am in Québec Canada and just the Shiping is crazy for California.

so if anyone using this valve are you having the same behavior ?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI
      09-04-2018 12:48 PM #2
      I have the EM Plumb Back (DV) version of the valve. Mine works just great but I dont get any noise like BOV would.

One thing you may be noticing now that is venting to atmosphere, is the ECU lets off pressure often and at what seem like odd times. This is never noticed when its recirculating the air back in but when it vents you get the noise every time. Older cars with pressure spring based DV/BOV's only release pressure once the spring has enough pressure to make it compress. Our ECU controlled valves release when ever and how much the ECU commands it to.

The same would happen if you used the stock DV with one of those spacers that vent to atmosphere. At lot of people end up removing the spacers due to the constant sound at undesired times.

4. 09-08-2018 12:26 PM #3
      Thanks for the feedback thats what I figured also but I wanted a second opinion on the matter. If i new sooner i would have ordered the plumback also.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 09-20-2018 01:33 PM #4
      Quick update:

Contacted Turbosmart USA and they exchanged the valve under waranty and even accepted to replace the unit with a Plumb back version. Got it back express 2 days ship from California to Canada. Thumbs up to Turbosmart for the great customer service.

Installed the new one and works great feels like better throttle response and a little less lagy at low speeds compared to the oem unit.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkIV Gti
      10-10-2019 01:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilGTI2017 View Post
      I just wanted to see with you guys if anyone is using this BOV on their GTI.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Prod...-Port-VR1.html

I have a 2017 DSG GTI APR Stg2 and have this BOV it seems to be running ok but att mid throttle it stays open for a while. My best guess would be that since it is controlled by the ECU it might be openning under certain conditions ex: TCS and to prevent compressor surge. Turbosmart wants me to return it for inspection under warranty but I am in Québec Canada and just the Shiping is crazy for California.

so if anyone using this valve are you having the same behavior ?
      Hate to dig up an old thread but Im running one as of yesterday and it was running fine. Today I got a CEL. P0033 anyone else getting this code while running this BOV I know BOV's aren't typically great on a MAF car but figured since this one is specific for our models and designed to work with the ECU. Waiting on my OBDeleven to come in on Saturday to clear the code and see if it comes back.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkIV Gti
      10-10-2019 01:38 PM #6
      So I pulled the trigger on a Turbo smart Kompact BOV (not the DV option).....I know I know the DV option is probably a better option, but I wanted to BOV sound and lets be real its more fun. I ran it for the last 2 days, no issues. Ran downtown earlier, getting on the freeway headed home I get into it WOT, ease up and look down and BOOM a CEL. Get home to check the code on my generic code reader and its showing a P0033 code. Diverter valve/Turbo bypass I believe it said. I ordered an OBDeleven off amazon so it should be here on Saturday to clear the code. My question is has anyone else experienced a CEL with this model BOV. I was under the impression it was triggered off the ECU and was designed to release only when electronically told to by the ECU thus tricking the ecu and keeping the CEL off.

Long story short anyone else getting codes while running this BOV? If so back in the box she goes, and back to turbosmart.
      Last edited by rblevins777; 10-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.