VWVortex.com - Looking at a 2009 CC VR6 4MOTION Sport
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looking at a 2009 CC VR6 4MOTION Sport

1. 10-10-2019 01:52 PM #1
      Hey all,

I am looking for a daily driver that can be handed down when the teens get their license and came across what looks like a decent deal. Currently have a BMW X5 and a new Mercedes GLE. Its a 2009 CC VR6 4motion Sport with 75k. I am not extremely familiar with VW except for a 99' Jetta that I had and I had no issues with it, just regular oil changes.

Are there any specific things that I should look at in terms of engine, trans, suspension, electrical?

As well, what are the standard maintenance items that should be addressed? Its clean, has some surface rust on the two rear quarter panels which looks like it would be covered under the corrosion warranty for another year or so.

I can get it for around 4500 - it does have NAV and the upgraded sound system. Interior is decent, seats need cleaned well and the fabric for the sunroof cover has come out a little.

It ran great, had excellent acceleration and no vibrations. Just concerned about engine and transmission reliability and upkeep costs for a cheaper car.

Thanks!
      C

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      10-10-2019 01:58 PM #2
      Change the transmission and Haldex fluid and you should be safe. The trunk harness and rear deck lid trim are the only other issue items.

4. 10-10-2019 02:14 PM #3
      Great, thank you for the quick response. In regards to the Trunk Harness and rear trim, would you mine elaborating a bit on that?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 10-11-2019 07:37 AM #5
      I've had mine since Feb and love the car - however, if you're using it as a daily just be aware of the fuel consumption that comes with a 3.6 litre four wheel drive car. More economical options are available! Also, I don't know where you're based, but here in the UK insurance on 3.6 for a teenager would probably cost more than the car itself - if you could get it at all.

Vehicles
      10-11-2019 09:20 AM #6
      That is true about the fuel economy, I average 22-24 mpg but have seen as high as 28+ on pampered long drives where I maintain the posted limit due to cops. I've gotten to the point where I don't drive a lot and look at drives in the CC as entertainment when I choose to not drive my 3.6 corrado. The car is very planted in all weather conditions and very safe in that regard but the blind spots are horrible and the backup camera is slow to activate when the car has been off for a while. I wouldn't suggest this car for a teenager simply because of the poor rear visibility, coming from a lifetime of poor rear visibility in the corrado its not so bad for me.

8. 10-11-2019 10:52 AM #7
      Thanks for the feedback! Gas mileage isn't really much of an issue and I like the performance - my commute to work is rather short and its more so for something fun to drive and keep miles off of our newer vehicles. I spoke with insurance and the rates wouldn't be terrible as I had them quote several different vehicles and its actually cheaper than a Jetta or Honda Accord. Not sure why. I work for an MB and LR dealership but just don't have much experience with VW brand. It was a local trade in to us and my cost for the vehicle is 4k. If it ends up being a nightmare I can resell it and make a couple of bucks. I really just wanted to know if there were any major items to look for that could bite me in the behind.

I am located in the US by the way.

9. 10-11-2019 02:44 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by cshipley10 View Post
      .... its actually cheaper than a Jetta or Honda Accord. Not sure why....
      Wow - surprising but good to hear

...I work for an MB and LR dealership but just don't have much experience with VW brand...
      Funny - I worked for VW for many years and now work for JLR!

...I am located in the US by the way.
      Was gonna quote my MPG figures, but realised that UK gallons are bigger than US so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

10. 10-15-2019 12:32 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by A.J.B View Post
      Wow - surprising but good to hear

Funny - I worked for VW for many years and now work for JLR!

Was gonna quote my MPG figures, but realised that UK gallons are bigger than US so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.
      Thats awesome! I love JLR, have had a few in the years I have worked for them.

Everything checked out on the safety inspection, they did the oil change and filter. I need to have someone do the Haldex service for the 4MOTION, and swing by VW to have them look at the rust on the rear quarter panels. They did note on the safety inspection that the rear shocks were seeping. Anyone have any experience with needing replacement? And any recommendations on which brand to go with?

Vehicles
      10-15-2019 01:11 PM #10
      All depends on what you want from your suspension. Some people install OEM type of replacement, some go with springs and shocks, some go with coilovers and some go with airbags. I like the adjust-ability and performance of coilovers. I've heard good things about airbags and a lot of bad.

If you want a stockish ride then you might want to look at some bilstien shocks/struts.

If you want to go a little lower then there are lots of threads on that with OEM and H&R and a couple other spring companies.

Coilovers have a wide a-ray of options. personally I'm a fan of stainless steel bodied coilovers. I grabbed a set of KW's but haven't gotten around to installing them. I haven't found the wheels in good shape that I want to install. I'll probably get some 19" Audi S4/S5 peelers for an OEM+ look.

Airbags cost a good amount but offer a lot of options, just make certain somebody that is installing them knows what they are doing so you don't end up with leaks later.

A good starting point to look at options for suspension is www.ecstuning.com www.tirerack.com www.ngpracing.com www.urotuning.com https://www.uspmotorsports.com/ www.autotech.com http://www.neuspeed.com/116/0/0/0/20..._3.6L_VR6.html

12. 10-15-2019 03:34 PM #11
      Thanks much. I'll probably stick with OEM or similar! Can I just do the Shocks/struts or do I need to do the whole assembly including mounts ect?