VWVortex.com - Daily Driven IS38 Wagons
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 55

    Thread: Daily Driven IS38 Wagons

    1. Member Hoble's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2019
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      127
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-15-2019 09:30 PM #1
      Just reaching out to see who is daily driving a Sportwagen or Alltrack with an is38? I have few questions and looking to talk with someone who actually uses the car daily and not just a weekend cruiser that's fairly modified compared to was came from factory.

      Either PM or text me, which ever works! I am located in Canada however if that makes a difference.

      I've looked this up but quite often it turns into a debate about what turbo is better for a daily and blah blah blah. Not interested in that, just wanna talk about the setup and pros and cons and what the drive truly is like now that its pulling hard, how really is, and what your normal drive it like with it!

      Thanks!
      Lee Hammond

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member natis1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2001
      Location
      GTA
      Posts
      977
      10-15-2019 09:54 PM #2
      Subscribed I'm also in canada and would like to know more about a Is38 wagon modded

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

    4. Member Face76's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2014
      Location
      Long Island
      Posts
      910
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion
      10-16-2019 12:03 AM #3
      Drives like stock till you romp on it. I have no regrets.

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      '17 4Motion GSW, IS38, APR Tune, AWE DP, Uni IC, AFE Magnum;[email protected], 1.98 60'

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. 10-16-2019 03:04 AM #4
      for what it's worth.

      2018 Sportwagen 4motion. 6spd manual.
      IS38.
      CTS catted downpipe.
      CTS intercooler.
      Unitronic tune.
      Sachs Clutch.
      Factory Dual Mass flywheel.
      Stock suspension.

      I daily drive this car 100mi / day. It's my commuter, car and family car with two kids (6yo and 8yo). The car drives pretty much like stock. I went from stage1 APR, to is20, to is38. I personally feel the is38 is more daily drivable than either tune or is20. I feel the pull is less abrupt and a little easier to modulate. boost builds quickly from 3K and up but never abruptly. Gas mileage increased significantly. highway commute went from 30mpg freeway (stock) -> 32mpg freeway (chip) -> 34mpg freeway (is20) -> 36-38mpg (is38) averaging 65MPH.

      I wouldn't hesitate to recommend if daily driving. my 0.02.

    7. 10-16-2019 03:05 AM #5
      The guys at Deutsche Auto (shopdap.com) have a thread on here about their AT w/IS38. They blew their IS20 and upgraded to the IS38...they have a summary video on their Yt page about it with all the mods they did. It's not a DD, but was used and abused and never threw a rod, etc. Motor remained tight. They did do some other upgrades to it...intercooler, etc...there's probably a lot of etc's you'll want/need besides just the turbo...but you probably know that.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2013
      Location
      PQ Canada
      Posts
      299
      Vehicles
      2018 Wagen 6MT 4MO
      10-16-2019 10:21 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by S1uma188 View Post
      for what it's worth.

      2018 Sportwagen 4motion. 6spd manual.
      IS38.
      CTS catted downpipe.
      CTS intercooler.
      Unitronic tune.
      Sachs Clutch.
      Factory Dual Mass flywheel.
      Stock suspension.

      I daily drive this car 100mi / day. It's my commuter, car and family car with two kids (6yo and 8yo). The car drives pretty much like stock. I went from stage1 APR, to is20, to is38. I personally feel the is38 is more daily drivable than either tune or is20. I feel the pull is less abrupt and a little easier to modulate. boost builds quickly from 3K and up but never abruptly. Gas mileage increased significantly. highway commute went from 30mpg freeway (stock) -> 32mpg freeway (chip) -> 34mpg freeway (is20) -> 36-38mpg (is38) averaging 65MPH.

      I wouldn't hesitate to recommend if daily driving. my 0.02.
      Ok I don't want to crush OP's tread. But I'm curious about Sachs clutch you are using. I been looking for reviews and impressions on that clutch for a while.
      I'm is20 2018 4Mo 6 speed, still on stock clutch but I know someday new clutch will be required.
      Not sure I want to go South bend or similar single mass FW.

      Would you give me your impression on Sachs and part numbers?
      thanks

    9. Member Hoble's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2019
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      127
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-16-2019 10:40 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Polochon View Post
      Ok I don't want to crush OP's tread. But I'm curious about Sachs clutch you are using. I been looking for reviews and impressions on that clutch for a while.
      I'm is20 2018 4Mo 6 speed, still on stock clutch but I know someday new clutch will be required.
      Not sure I want to go South bend or similar single mass FW.

      Would you give me your impression on Sachs and part numbers?
      thanks
      It's not really crushing it, I am kind of curious as well, especially as to why he kept the dual mass vs going single? *dual mass is smoother I know, but just curious if that was the sole reason to keep it*

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

    10. Member Hoble's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2019
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      127
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-16-2019 10:45 AM #8
      And just for reference, also rocking a 6MT. I know all the supporting mods required and I'm slowly picking them off the list as I wait for warranty to run out.

      The current plan is to put the turbo and tune on at 75k with 5k left on warranty.

      The point of this is just to get a feel from people who are actually driving these as a DD to their experience with it and any issues that arrose specifically because of this setup and putting lots of km on it.

      So far the responses have been great so keep it coming!

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

    11. 10-16-2019 10:49 AM #9
      I'm not sure if you want my answer or not but i daily a Golf R wagen 2015, which has an IS38 from factory. I have gone with milltek catless downpipe and a stage 1 tune and nothing else (the rest of the exhaustsystem is original). To daily it is like to daily any other car, it's quite, kind of comfortable (i live in sweden, the roads here are ****ed up) and easy to drive. If you step on the gas youll unleash all the horses and the car turns into something completly else. It's not an RS6 but it's goddamn good for those kind of money.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2013
      Location
      PQ Canada
      Posts
      299
      Vehicles
      2018 Wagen 6MT 4MO
      10-16-2019 11:02 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Hoble View Post
      And just for reference, also rocking a 6MT. I know all the supporting mods required and I'm slowly picking them off the list as I wait for warranty to run out.

      The current plan is to put the turbo and tune on at 75k with 5k left on warranty.

      The point of this is just to get a feel from people who are actually driving these as a DD to their experience with it and any issues that arrose specifically because of this setup and putting lots of km on it.

      So far the responses have been great so keep it coming!

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
      As far as DD, I'm very happy with my is20 so far - United Motorsport 91 octane tune. From 0rpm to 2200 rpm almost feels stock. But when you go at it and cross 2600 rpm...damm its another car.

      Can't speak about is38. But for what I've read so far, little more turbo lag with is38 than is20. But in the 5000+ rpm range ...is38 holds on way better than is20.

      Personally for a DD, that never goes on track or drag, I think is20 is better suited. just my 2¢

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2016
      Posts
      107
      Vehicles
      VW
      10-16-2019 11:33 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Hoble View Post
      And just for reference, also rocking a 6MT. I know all the supporting mods required and I'm slowly picking them off the list as I wait for warranty to run out.

      The current plan is to put the turbo and tune on at 75k with 5k left on warranty.

      The point of this is just to get a feel from people who are actually driving these as a DD to their experience with it and any issues that arrose specifically because of this setup and putting lots of km on it.

      So far the responses have been great so keep it coming!

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
      In terms of supporting mods, you don't really need much. If your goal is to just have the power on standby, getting on it once in a while, you'll be fine with keeping almost everything stock.

      Intercooler - Recommended but not required. Depends on how you'll be driving it. Only getting on power once in a while for a pull? Live in a cold climate? Honestly you'll probably be fine with the factory Intercooler. If you want as much power as you can and always rag on the car, definitely.
      Downpipe - Depends on the tune/map if it's required. You can run it with the stock downpipe or even the Golf R downpipe and still make good power, just not extracting the full potential.
      Intake - Not required
      Exhaust - Not required
      Clutch - If the 1.8t has the same clutch as the GTI or R, you'll be fine for a little bit. Only a matter of time though so keep the funds for a clutch upgrade. DMFW feels a lot like factory and is much quieter. I had a SMFW clutch (DKM stg 2) w/ Fluidampr in my old MK7 GTI, it chattered quite loudly on idle if the A/C's on...

      I have an IS20 sitting around and have been thinking whether I should go directly to IS38. I plan on controlling it with a JB4 (Map 6), keep the Intercooler stock and keep the Downpipe stock (or an OEM R Downpipe). I've had my fun with a previous FBO MK7 GTI...

    14. 10-16-2019 11:39 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Polochon View Post
      Ok I don't want to crush OP's tread. But I'm curious about Sachs clutch you are using. I been looking for reviews and impressions on that clutch for a while.
      I'm is20 2018 4Mo 6 speed, still on stock clutch but I know someday new clutch will be required.
      Not sure I want to go South bend or similar single mass FW.

      Would you give me your impression on Sachs and part numbers?
      thanks
      clutch is great. it's stiffer than the stock feel, but you get used to it. during break-in, it was a little grabby, but now it really does feel OEM (albeit slightly heavier feel). completely daily drivable.

      I don't have any part numbers, my shop ordered for me. I believe it's the Sachs Race kit.

    15. 10-16-2019 11:42 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Hoble View Post
      It's not really crushing it, I am kind of curious as well, especially as to why he kept the dual mass vs going single? *dual mass is smoother I know, but just curious if that was the sole reason to keep it*

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
      I kept the dual mass b/c car is my daily driver. I wanted a quiet and smooth clutch. When the shop replaced the clutch, they said the flywheel looked good, so we reused it vs going single mass (which I was concerned with chatter)

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2012
      Posts
      580
      Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack 6MT
      10-16-2019 11:43 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by S1uma188 View Post
      clutch is great. it's stiffer than the stock feel, but you get used to it. during break-in, it was a little grabby, but now it really does feel OEM (albeit slightly heavier feel). completely daily drivable.

      I don't have any part numbers, my shop ordered for me. I believe it's the Sachs Race kit.
      Not the 4 puck, right?

    17. 10-16-2019 11:50 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by ZuMBLe View Post
      Not the 4 puck, right?
      I want to say it's this clutch kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-sachs-pe...iABEgIpzfD_BwE

      it's the right price point.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2012
      Posts
      580
      Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack 6MT
      10-16-2019 11:50 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by S1uma188 View Post
      I want to say it's this clutch kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-sachs-pe...iABEgIpzfD_BwE

      it's the right price point.
      Ah okay. Looking to downgrade from the 4 puck when it's time. I'll keep this one in mind. Thanks!

    19. 10-16-2019 02:09 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by S1uma188 View Post
      for what it's worth.

      2018 Sportwagen 4motion. 6spd manual.
      IS38.
      CTS catted downpipe.
      CTS intercooler.
      Unitronic tune.
      Sachs Clutch.
      Factory Dual Mass flywheel.
      Stock suspension.

      I daily drive this car 100mi / day. It's my commuter, car and family car with two kids (6yo and 8yo). The car drives pretty much like stock. I went from stage1 APR, to is20, to is38. I personally feel the is38 is more daily drivable than either tune or is20. I feel the pull is less abrupt and a little easier to modulate. boost builds quickly from 3K and up but never abruptly. Gas mileage increased significantly. highway commute went from 30mpg freeway (stock) -> 32mpg freeway (chip) -> 34mpg freeway (is20) -> 36-38mpg (is38) averaging 65MPH.

      I wouldn't hesitate to recommend if daily driving. my 0.02.
      Is the gas mileage increase due to not building boost at lower RPMs, so when you're cruising on the highway the IS38 is basically not doing anything?

    20. Member Hoble's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2019
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      127
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-16-2019 02:30 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      Is the gas mileage increase due to not building boost at lower RPMs, so when you're cruising on the highway the IS38 is basically not doing anything?
      Yea that's sorta a question of mine as well... comparing the dyno graphs of stock, is20, and is38, they all seem to be very similar as if you could overlay them and they would be the same until the turbo dropped off for each of the smaller ones. * like graph for the is38 would continue to go up where stock flattens out*

      Is there much for turbo lag really? Or does it pretty much feel stock until 2500-3000 rpm when things get silly?

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2011
      Location
      MD
      Posts
      198
      Vehicles
      01 S4
      10-16-2019 02:51 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      Is the gas mileage increase due to not building boost at lower RPMs, so when you're cruising on the highway the IS38 is basically not doing anything?
      Though even with the IS20 or 38, they're both still pretty small turbos so it's not like they're super laggy. Even the stock turbo is usually kept out of boost when just highway cruising.
      Maybe a combination of other mods providing better air and free-er exhaust flow?

    22. 10-16-2019 07:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      Is the gas mileage increase due to not building boost at lower RPMs, so when you're cruising on the highway the IS38 is basically not doing anything?
      that's my impression. on the freeway, cruising around 70mph or so I'm usually under 2500RPM and not boosting. boost really doesn't hit until 2800-3000K. That's one reason why I like this setup for a daily driver... keep RPMS < 3K and good great gas mileage.

    23. 10-16-2019 07:25 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by S1uma188 View Post
      that's my impression. on the freeway, cruising around 70mph or so I'm usually under 2500RPM and not boosting. boost really doesn't hit until 2800-3000K. That's one reason why I like this setup for a daily driver... keep RPMS < 3K and good great gas mileage.
      I'm assuming city mileage would go down substantially though? Unfortunately my commute is 100% city driving and my MPG is about 20-21....

      I really want to go IS38 + Unitronic tune in the future as well, but I am waiting for the warranty to expire first so I don't get a TD1 flag.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 5th, 2015
      Location
      Bangor, Maine
      Posts
      1,026
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      10-16-2019 07:45 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by goalieman24 View Post
      Though even with the IS20 or 38, they're both still pretty small turbos so it's not like they're super laggy. Even the stock turbo is usually kept out of boost when just highway cruising.
      Maybe a combination of other mods providing better air and free-er exhaust flow?
      I’m sick of these small gurly man IS20s and IS38s. These are pencil sharpeners! We need BIG Turbos big enough to suck in whole pumpkins!

    25. Member Hoble's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2019
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      127
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-16-2019 07:46 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by S1uma188 View Post
      that's my impression. on the freeway, cruising around 70mph or so I'm usually under 2500RPM and not boosting. boost really doesn't hit until 2800-3000K. That's one reason why I like this setup for a daily driver... keep RPMS < 3K and good great gas mileage.
      How is the car cruising at 50 mph? That's where the majority of my driving is right now (makes for some wicked mileage!)

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

    26. Member Hoble's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2019
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      127
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-16-2019 07:47 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil37 View Post
      I’m sick of these small gurly man IS20s and IS38s. These are pencil sharpeners! We need BIG Turbos big enough to suck in whole pumpkins!
      Hehehe I cant argue with you there! Once I get this thing the way I want it for a daily... I'm turning my attention to my 91 Toyota mr2... see what I can do with that!

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2013
      Location
      PQ Canada
      Posts
      299
      Vehicles
      2018 Wagen 6MT 4MO
      10-16-2019 08:37 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil37 View Post
      I’m sick of these small gurly man IS20s and IS38s. These are pencil sharpeners! We need BIG Turbos big enough to suck in whole pumpkins!
      HAHA.
      Thats true we see a bunchload of is20 - is38 swap these days.
      Not enough real big turbo kits GSW/AT on the roads.

      However I still really like my is20.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •