VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driven IS38 Wagons

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      10-16-2019 08:55 PM #26
      IS20 is the shiz....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      10-16-2019 09:16 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Polochon View Post
      HAHA.
      Thats true we see a bunchload of is20 - is38 swap these days.
      Not enough real big turbo kits GSW/AT on the roads.

However I still really like my is20.
      Yeah , in all seriousness the IS20 would be the biggest that I would go with for a MK7 Golf Sportwagen daily driver here in North America. If I had my former 60 km commute of 90% unlimited Autobahn, I would definitely consider the IS38

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      10-16-2019 10:35 PM #28
      All my studying on the subject of IS20 vs. IS38 just led me to the 20 - a little smaller and cheaper really. I don't see the IS38 as being big enough to really cause any massive lag or drama and the power curves look nearly the same until you get in the upper RPMs which I rarely use - it was a no-brainer to save a grand and go used IS20 for $350. It's so choice!
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

10-17-2019 03:21 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      All my studying on the subject of IS20 vs. IS38 just led me to the 20 - a little smaller and cheaper really. I don't see the IS38 as being big enough to really cause any massive lag or drama and the power curves look nearly the same until you get in the upper RPMs which I rarely use - it was a no-brainer to save a grand and go used IS20 for $350. It's so choice!
      I dont think cost is a factor in this debate about the two different turbos. So to save a little bit of cash wouldn't make this a creditable opinion.

I do agree though that the is38 wouldn't really have much or if any difference for lag assuming 6sp vs 5sp. Which no one has mentioned which transmission they had.

Also its tough when most people here either have the is20 or the is38. None have had both to compare, to give a non biased opinion.

So most on here that have the is20 say go is20 but never been in or had the is38. So without that experience how could the opinion be justified that the is20 was or is better

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

6. 10-17-2019 03:35 AM #30
      Another reason to go IS20 in my opinion is you can run it straight off a JB4 without a tune needed. I don't think a JB4 can support the IS38.

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      10-17-2019 06:59 AM #31
      I love conjectures...my favorite movies.
      How hard can it be!

10-17-2019 09:04 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by MidnightGSW View Post
      I love conjectures...my favorite movies.
      Lol agreed...

Random is20 input = no real input into the OP's post

Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-17-2019 10:19 AM #33
      Let's get this back on track. This thread is about daily driven 1.8t is38 wagons. It's not a debate about which turbo is better because everyone has different opinions about what's better and why.

Personally, I'm going is38 because its only 300$ more and you cant get the extra power from the is20. If I'm going to spend money on a bigger turbo, I dont want to wish I had gone bigger once it in place. It's just that much extra money to continue to upgrade.

But yes back on track.... is38 post!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Wagen 6MT 4MO
      10-17-2019 10:38 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Hoble View Post
      Let's get this back on track. This thread is about daily driven 1.8t is38 wagons. It's not a debate about which turbo is better because everyone has different opinions about what's better and why.

Personally, I'm going is38 because its only 300$ more and you cant get the extra power from the is20. If I'm going to spend money on a bigger turbo, I dont want to wish I had gone bigger once it in place. It's just that much extra money to continue to upgrade.

Dirty Pigeon is a member here, he did the is38 swap and uses his car as DD. You could try to reach him and get his comments.
      He's also often on sportwagen AT FB group.

11. 10-17-2019 12:27 PM #35
      How is the car cruising at 50 mph? That's where the majority of my driving is right now (makes for some wicked mileage!)

honestly, my MPG has not dropped, but I don't drive too aggressively as I mostly shuttling around my kids. if you shift under 3K, your mileage will be good.

12. 10-17-2019 12:30 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by natis1 View Post
      I dont think cost is a factor in this debate about the two different turbos. So to save a little bit of cash wouldn't make this a creditable opinion.

I do agree though that the is38 wouldn't really have much or if any difference for lag assuming 6sp vs 5sp. Which no one has mentioned which transmission they had.

Also its tough when most people here either have the is20 or the is38. None have had both to compare, to give a non biased opinion.

So most on here that have the is20 say go is20 but never been in or had the is38. So without that experience how could the opinion be justified that the is20 was or is better

I went from apr stage 1 -> is20 Apr tune -> is38 Unitronic tune. 6 speed manual. Just my opinion that below 5K, all three are pretty similar, but stage 1 and is20 definitely has more of a "turbo push" at 2.5-3K vs the is38. but YMMV.

Either way, is20/is38... it's a great upgrade!!!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      10-17-2019 01:45 PM #37

That's fair enough. After all your thread title is "Daily Driven IS38 Wagons" and you also stated that this thread should not turn into a debate about which turbo is better. At least we didn't get too side tracked. I've seen threads that started with wheel spacers go to a conversation about eating hot dogs at gas stations in Iceland and finished with someone posting pictures of their dogs.

Anyways Let's get back to the IS38! How about the DBV2 hybrid IS38? Any wagons with that?

14. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Alltrack Highline
      10-17-2019 03:02 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by S1uma188 View Post
      I went from apr stage 1 -> is20 Apr tune -> is38 Unitronic tune. 6 speed manual. Just my opinion that below 5K, all three are pretty similar, but stage 1 and is20 definitely has more of a "turbo push" at 2.5-3K vs the is38. but YMMV.

Either way, is20/is38... it's a great upgrade!!!

I did not realize Unitronic released the IS38 tune for the 1.8T as it is not on their website.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-17-2019 03:08 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Zhars View Post
      I did not realize Unitronic released the IS38 tune for the 1.8T as it is not on their website.
      After some inquiry to this, it's a betta tune? And I think for 93 octane however I stand to be corrected here. This is just what I've found out via some research

16. Member
      Vehicles
      VW
      10-17-2019 03:20 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil37 View Post
      That's fair enough. After all your thread title is "Daily Driven IS38 Wagons" and you also stated that this thread should not turn into a debate about which turbo is better. At least we didn't get too side tracked. I've seen threads that started with wheel spacers go to a conversation about eating hot dogs at gas stations in Iceland and finished with someone posting pictures of their dogs.

Anyways Let's get back to the IS38! How about the DBV2 hybrid IS38? Any wagons with that?
      From what I gathered from another forum, if you want anything bigger than an IS38 you'd want: Custom tune, fueling upgrade (HPFP/LPFP), and maybe injectors. For custom tune, you're limited to maybe Maestro or something that can support the fueling upgrade and MPI. Stock fueling is only good for IS38. There's also a matter of what turbo to choose. When I emailed Littco, they didn't recommend putting one of their hybrids into a 1.8t (not tested, won't warranty it in case something goes wrong).

Far more work than throwing an IS20/IS38 and an OTS tune, which is already a ton of power compared to factory. For 99% of Sportwagen/Alltrack owners, an IS20/IS38 would be enough of an upgrade. Is maybe another 50-100 hp/tq with a slightly bigger aftermarket turbo worth the work and money?

Lot more things to go wrong too, plus it's the 1.8t engine. If we maybe had at least the 2.0t from a GTI, I'd feel a lot better about throwing bigger aftermarket turbo in it.

17. 10-17-2019 03:43 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Zhars View Post
      I was told beta 91 by the shop that flashed.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-17-2019 03:49 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Derussi View Post
      From what I gathered from another forum, if you want anything bigger than an IS38 you'd want: Custom tune, fueling upgrade (HPFP/LPFP), and maybe injectors. For custom tune, you're limited to maybe Maestro or something that can support the fueling upgrade and MPI. Stock fueling is only good for IS38. There's also a matter of what turbo to choose. When I emailed Littco, they didn't recommend putting one of their hybrids into a 1.8t (not tested, won't warranty it in case something goes wrong).

Far more work than throwing an IS20/IS38 and an OTS tune, which is already a ton of power compared to factory. For 99% of Sportwagen/Alltrack owners, an IS20/IS38 would be enough of an upgrade. Is maybe another 50-100 hp/tq with a slightly bigger aftermarket turbo worth the work and money?

Lot more things to go wrong too, plus it's the 1.8t engine. If we maybe had at least the 2.0t from a GTI, I'd feel a lot better about throwing bigger aftermarket turbo in it.
      The reliability is still very important to me, that's part of why I havent even looked at bigger than is38. Your comment kind of confirms that for me.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-17-2019 03:51 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by S1uma188 View Post
      I was told beta 91 by the shop that flashed.
      I only have access to 91 here in Nova Scotia so I'm quite happy to hear that's something they are working on.

How do you like the uni tune?

A friend of mine here local is a uni dealer so I will go through him for my tune unless there are massive issues from that come with it.

20. 10-17-2019 03:59 PM #44
      so far so good. car runs pretty smooth.

if you're looking for reliability, I would suggest IS20... not that IS38 is not reliable, but IS20 is just a turbo swap. you don't HAVE to upgrade DP, IC, Clutch...and there's plenty of software available. The difference I felt between IS20 and IS38 is really above 5K.

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      10-17-2019 04:45 PM #45
      This conversation about IS38 has brought the memory of TopGear episode where Clarkson reviewed a mighty EvoVII or IX with huge turbo resulting in 400 BHP.
      Just watch the clip...HaHa...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVt1IjIdLxY

Cheers...
      How hard can it be!

Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      10-17-2019 05:18 PM #46
      I mean reliability in the sense of not launching a rod into the stratosphere or eating a valve hahaha.

My plan for this upgrade are relatively mild.

Modified Golf R downpipe

Modified stock intake (k&n drop in, ecs silicone intake tube, ecs turbo inlet pipe, turbo muffler delete)

Upgraded clutch (in reality is20 will kill the stock clutch so it's a given either way)

Cat back is still a toss up (a lot of money for what it offers, so it may come later on)

Larger single core IC (I'm not drag racing)

Tune and turbo obviously

I drive 188km (116 miles) for my commute to work, mostly doing 80kmh (50mph) on back roads and 5 minutes of in town driving. Theres a few spots I get to open the car up to play but that's few and far between however on the back roads, not uncommon to need to pass slow moving vehicles so it nice to have power to get around when you have the chance. Not that 170 isnt enough, its plenty. I just want more.

Also... I want to blow the doors off my girlfriend's brother's Mazda speed 3 because on his first ride in the car he said "huh, I'm kind of disappointed with the power this car has..."

And the way I'm looking at it is, if im spending the money to upgrade these things, I might as well put the most into it that makes reasonable sense.

23. 10-17-2019 05:36 PM #47
      oh man, if you're doing all those supporting mods anyways...then shoot...d0 the IS38.

Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion
      10-17-2019 06:00 PM #48
      This conversation about IS38 has brought the memory of TopGear episode where Clarkson reviewed a mighty EvoVII or IX with huge turbo resulting in 400 BHP.

Cheers...
      Flooring it in top gear at such a low speed is terrible for the turbo.

The Stig's run was a but wild.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      '17 4Motion GSW, IS38, APR Tune, AWE DP, Uni IC, AFE Magnum;[email protected], 1.98 60'

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      10-17-2019 11:34 PM #49
      Only YOBOS drive on public roads like Stig...

Cheers...
      How hard can it be!

26. 10-18-2019 11:33 AM #50

Cheers...
      "if you're not in the right gear at the right time" Uhm yeah, that's what a transmission is for? Not sure if that model was a 5 or 6 speed, but top gear at 30mph is like comparing which car is faster in reverse!

I spent a lot of time building mitsubishi's, so I have to LOL at the "fear" of turbo lag here, if you want instant torque all the time, get a Tesla or a v8, boost is fun, nothing puts the smile on my face like boost hitting!

Are there any additional concerns for the DSG with the IS38? Looks like a lot of you got the 6MT which I hate to admit, when I got my GSW I didn't even know was an option.
      '17 GSW S | R.I.P '14 Jetta SE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast