Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: New TNGA-based Yaris + 3-cyl hybrid

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      10-16-2019 10:36 AM #1
      I didn't see any posts about this, and we won't get it, but I figured it was my duty to post the pictures of the new Yaris.

Too bad we won't get it, as the hybrid is supposed to get 20% better MPG than the existing one (Prius C). I would like to see normal trims without the two tone roof, but this looks pretty good to me, especially the interior (interesting treatment on the door pulls inside).

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota

• First use of the TNGA*1 platform for compact cars. A body that is light yet highly rigid and has a low center of gravity.
      • Adopts the latest powertrain, including a 1.5-liter inline three-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine based on the TNGA design philosophy. This engine pursues both driving performance and the world's highest level of fuel efficiency for a hybrid vehicle, in addition to the pleasure of driving.
        Toyota is also offering E-Four (electric four-wheel drive system) for the first time on a compact car.
      • The condensed, clutter-free cabin and compact form that extends from the center of the body to the front and rear wheels express an active dynamic design that appears ready to take off at a moment's notice.
      • "Advanced Park"*2, Toyota's advanced parking support system (a first on a Toyota vehicle), and the latest Toyota Safety Sense, which now detects oncoming cars (a first on a Toyota vehicle) when turning right at an intersection and pedestrians crossing the street when turning right or left, are standard*3.
      • Enhanced comfort and convenience features include "Turn Tilt Seats"*2 (a first on a Toyota vehicle), which facilitate entering and exiting the vehicle, and Display Audio (standard on all models), which can connect with smartphones, and an accessory power outlet is available for hybrid versions in Japan.

The first-generation Yaris was created in 1999 as a car that would serve as the global standard for compact cars by enlisting the full portfolio of Toyota's technological prowess. Toyota re-designed the platform and all major components, including the engine, transmission, and suspension to achieve generous cabin space and outstanding basic performance in a minimum size.
      The new Yaris has been developed in pursuit of new value sought in next-generation compact cars. The new Yaris is a new-generation compact car that adopts the TNGA*1 platform, on which Toyota will base its compact cars for developed countries in the future, and features components built entirely from the ground up, including the engine, Hybrid System, transmission, and suspension. In addition to the light yet highly rigid body and low center of gravity, the Yaris is offered with four different powertrains to deliver agility, superior comfort, and smooth and direct acceleration

• The newly developed 1.5-liter inline three-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine and Direct Shift-CVT;
      • The 1.5-liter Dynamic Force Engine with New-generation Hybrid System;
      • The 1.5-liter Dynamic Force Engine with 6-speed manual;
      • An improved 1.0-liter engine with a compact and lightweight CVT.

Drivers will be able to experience the pleasure of a brisk ride.
      In addition to pursuing Toyota's ongoing goal of developing the world's highest level of fuel efficiency for a hybrid vehicle, the new Yaris is offered with E-Four (electric four-wheel drive system), a first for a Toyota compact car. Toyota is among the first to adopt an array of advanced features that defy the common hierarchy based on car size, such as Advanced Park*2, Toyota's advanced parking support system (a first for a Toyota vehicle); the latest Toyota Safety Sense, which has been expanded to detect oncoming cars when turning right at an intersection and pedestrians crossing the street when turning right or left; Turn Tilt Seats*2 (equipped by Toyota for the first time) which facilitate entering and exiting the vehicle; and Display Audio (standard on all models), which can connect with smartphones.
      An accessory power outlet (1,500 W) is available for the hybrid version of the cars. With the accessory, electricity from the vehicle can be used to power electrical devices and appliances using the same type of electrical outlets found at home. Additionally, the vehicle can serve as an emergency power generator in cases such as blackouts.
      Chief Engineer Yasunori Suezawa, in charge of development of the new Yaris, explained, "This marks the 20th year since the first Yaris debuted, so we wanted to build a new-generation compact car that goes far beyond customers' preconceptions about class by building on the strengths of the Yaris as a compact car while revamping the platform, powertrain, and all other components. Compact cars are driven by many people, so offering a pleasurable drive was a priority, but it also prompted us to use the Yaris as the starting point of cars with the world's highest level of fuel efficiency and secure safety technology."

*1 Toyota New Global Architecture. Toyota's company-wide global program to structurally transform automobile design. The goal of TNGA is to dramatically improve the basic performance and marketability of Toyota vehicles by redeveloping powertrain units and vehicle platforms and reconceiving overall vehicle optimization
      *2 Grade and Option settings to be announced in December
      *3 Excluding the X "M package"
      *4 This term is borrowed from Greek mythology, the goddess Charis (symbolic of dignity and elegance).
      *5 The gasoline 4WD model is scheduled to go on sale starting in April 2020.

New 3-banger looks a lot more advanced than my ancient 1NZ (electric water pump, etc)

Interesting looking hybrid guts

Just a baby

Suspension looks very similar to mine

Whoa, sporty

Last edited by adrew; 10-16-2019 at 10:52 AM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-16-2019 10:48 AM #2
      EURO YARIS > NA YARIS in terms of looks.

It would be perfect if our Yaris looked like that AND had the driving dynamics of the Mazda 2.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      10-16-2019 12:33 PM #3
      I'm confused.

Toyota ceding the Yaris to Mazda was only for North America?
      Epstein is alive.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      10-16-2019 12:43 PM #4
      I mean, it kind of makes sense. Very few would pay for a premium Yaris here so we get the cheap/cheerful Mazda version made in MX.

It seems similar to when we got the cost-cutter "2nd gen" Focus instead of the ROW version.

Vehicles
      14 s4 6mt
      10-16-2019 10:02 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      in for more variable height discussion. how does this work and still be a toyota? i haven't see this mentioned elsewhere.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      10-16-2019 10:14 PM #6
      I mean, it kind of makes sense. Very few would pay for a premium Yaris here so we get the cheap/cheerful Mazda version made in MX.

It seems similar to when we got the cost-cutter "2nd gen" Focus instead of the ROW version.
      But we know how well that turned out: Ford spent money it didn't have creating the sad, down-market USDM version, when it could have (should have) brought in the ROW car instead.
      Epstein is alive.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      10-16-2019 10:28 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      But we know how well that turned out: Ford spent money it didn't have creating the sad, down-market USDM version, when it could have (should have) brought in the ROW car instead.
      While I agree with you, didn't the USDM model sell fairly well though?
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      10-16-2019 10:31 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by O_loung1 View Post
      in for more variable height discussion. how does this work and still be a toyota? i haven't see this mentioned elsewhere.
      I think it just means for different versions of the model on the same platform - it doesn't have variable suspension or anything like that that I can tell.

The current one (and other Toyota models sold abroad) has different ride height and suspension parts depending on the market. You can get it with "rough road spec" suspension in Mexico, Australia, Middle East, etc. and it comes with about an extra bit of ground clearance (I want to say 3/4 of an inch)

Look at this, the current one has different springs, struts, etc
      https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_20...6430-4803.html

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      10-16-2019 10:33 PM #9
      Yeah, I like the Mazda version okay, but it isn't calling out to me (esp. since the hatch is automatic only).

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      10-16-2019 10:59 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      While I agree with you, didn't the USDM model sell fairly well though?
      And people still shop at Wal*Mart. That doesn't make it right.
      Epstein is alive.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      10-16-2019 11:55 PM #11
      When is the Mazda 2 hatch "Yaris" coming out anyways? Feels like its been a whole year since its was announced for the American market.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      10-17-2019 10:47 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      When is the Mazda 2 hatch "Yaris" coming out anyways? Feels like its been a whole year since its was announced for the American market.
      The hatch is on sale now. I see local inventories on the interwebs.
      Epstein is alive.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      10-17-2019 11:05 AM #13
      That thing looks pretty awesome.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      Several.
      10-17-2019 11:29 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      That thing looks pretty awesome.
      :dat:

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      10-17-2019 03:11 PM #15
      Yeah, I would like to see the sports and GR(MN) versions. There is a 1.5L Dynamic Force 3-cylinder which is presumably (finally) replacing the 1NZ-FE and it will be available with a 6MT.

I found this press release which has some interesting details - the hybrid has a power outlet that can supply 1500 watts and it will be available with electric all-wheel-drive.
      https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/29933748.html

An accessory power outlet (1,500 W) is available for the hybrid version of the cars. With the accessory, electricity from the vehicle can be used to power electrical devices and appliances using the same type of electrical outlets found at home. Additionally, the vehicle can serve as an emergency power generator in cases such as blackouts.
      In addition to pursuing Toyota's ongoing goal of developing the world's highest level of fuel efficiency for a hybrid vehicle, the new Yaris is offered with E-Four (electric four-wheel drive system), a first for a Toyota compact car.

The e-AWD hybrid has a double-wishbone rear end instead of adding it to the twist-beam — dang! So, eventually you know there is going to be a hotter version with the IRS that we will want.

Here is the 1.5NA - they are so good at packaging things tightly without having anything in the way of anything else. Look how the intake and alternator are situated.
      Last edited by adrew; 10-17-2019 at 03:20 PM.

17. 10-17-2019 05:18 PM #16
      I think it just means for different versions of the model on the same platform - it doesn't have variable suspension or anything like that that I can tell.

The current one (and other Toyota models sold abroad) has different ride height and suspension parts depending on the market. You can get it with "rough road spec" suspension in Mexico, Australia, Middle East, etc. and it comes with about an extra bit of ground clearance (I want to say 3/4 of an inch)

]
      I figured Developing country yaris seemed taller as the rental I had in latin america seemed like it had huge wheel gap compared to the USDM one

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      10-18-2019 07:24 AM #17
      I'm confused.

Toyota ceding the Yaris to Mazda was only for North America?
      holy sh!t, I just learned something; you guys get the Mazda2 hatch in the US! See, in Canada they only went halfway and gave us the Mazda2 sedan in the form of the Yaris sedan, and we get the Toyota Yaris as a hatch. You guys don't get the Yaris hatch...you get a ****en Mazda2! lucky...

Mazda2 >>> Yaris hatch imo
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      10-18-2019 11:49 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      holy sh!t, I just learned something; you guys get the Mazda2 hatch in the US! See, in Canada they only went halfway and gave us the Mazda2 sedan in the form of the Yaris sedan, and we get the Toyota Yaris as a hatch. You guys don't get the Yaris hatch...you get a ****en Mazda2! lucky...

It is definitely a little friskier and more refined than the outgoing Yaris hatch, but not that compelling of an option, IMO. It is just starting to trickle out, but the hatch is automatic only, the Toyota-fied front end is still weird looking and it costs about the same as a Corolla hatchback ... so a solid "meh" in my opinion.

20. 10-18-2019 12:01 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post

Which Mazda2 hatch year-range did we get in Canada? I see them from time to time, usually in a bright metallic green. Are they a mazda or a toyota rebadge?
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      10-18-2019 12:08 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      Which Mazda2 hatch year-range did we get in Canada? I see them from time to time, usually in a bright metallic green. Are they a mazda or a toyota rebadge?
      I don't know the year range off hand, but we got those down here as well - those are Japan-made Mazdas (Demio) on a platform shared with the Fiesta. For most of its run, the Toyota Yaris was a Toyota made in Japan (last few years were French) and now the Mazda2/Yaris is made in MX.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazd...1-mazda2-test/
      Last edited by adrew; 10-18-2019 at 12:18 PM.