VWVortex.com - Petro-Canada gas stations adding coast to coast quick charging. Any US gas stations doing this?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petro-Canada gas stations adding coast to coast quick charging. Any US gas stations doing this?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      10-17-2019 11:43 AM #1
      Petro-Canada is installing quick charge stations throughout Canada, so you can drive from Nova Scotia to Vancouver on EV juice alone.

The plan is two quick charge stations per gas station. You can choose between CCS at 200kwh (up to 350kwh in the future) and CHAdeMO at 100kwh connectors.

Only about 15 locations are online at the moment, and charging is free, for now. The plan is to make is as easy to pay for EV juice as it is for fuel. Just tap your credit card on the charger and go. No special apps or special account required.

I'm curious, are there any gas stations in the USA rolling out an EV charging plan like this?

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/perso...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      87 BMW God's Chariot, 16 VW Sorority Special
      10-17-2019 11:48 AM #2
      Nothing to add other than good for them. Even paying per kW, this still opens up a lot of travel options for the EV crowd.

They’ll probably switch to a paid model but establishing as free is a good loss-leader model to get brand recognition as the ‘green’ gas station (and the foot traffic into the stores to buy junk food/etc while the car charges for 15 minutes).

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-17-2019 12:01 PM #3
      I think it's happening in spurts here in the US at some gas stations. Right now most of the chargers near a major highway are located in shopping center parking lots or car parks. Not the most convenient locations for a quick stop to pee and get some snacks. For example, the Electrify America points near me are at a ski resort on Mt. Hood, an outlet mall in Troutdale, OR (I-84), and at a parking lot in Hood River, Or (I-84). Fun destination places but not great for people passing through.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      10-17-2019 12:36 PM #4
      I think Wawa and Tesla have the entire "I-95 corridor" covered on the east coast of the US.

10-17-2019 12:43 PM #5
      There's a number of different charging networks in the US, plus the US has more than the just one highway that goes across the country. It's going to take a while for non-Teslas to get charging networks that are as complete as what Tesla has for the US.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2019 12:49 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      There's a number of different charging networks in the US, plus the US has more than the just one highway that goes across the country. It's going to take a while for non-Teslas to get charging networks that are as complete as what Tesla has for the US.
      For sure, the reality is very different in the US.

I was just curious if someone like BP, Wawa, 7Eleven, etc, etc had *some* sort of electrification plan. Cause charging in empty parking lots kind of sucks.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      10-17-2019 12:54 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post

I was just curious if someone like BP, Wawa, 7Eleven, etc, etc had *some* sort of electrification plan. Cause charging in empty parking lots kind of sucks.
      Wawa is expanding to 30+ Supercharger stations, from northern NJ to Florida (I-95 corridor).
      Wawa currently lacks retail outlets in the Carolinas and Georgia, however.
      https://electrek.co/2019/08/08/tesla...rger-stations/

•New Jersey:
      ◦Florence
      ◦Woodbridge
      ◦Paulsboro
      ◦Kearny
      ◦Parsippany
      ◦Barnegat

•Delaware:
      ◦Lewes
      ◦Claymont
      ◦Dover

•Virginia:
      ◦Chester
      ◦Fredericksburg

•Florida:
      ◦Pinellas Park
      ◦Tampa
      ◦Orlando
      ◦Jacksonville
      ◦Riviera Beach (West Palm Beach)

9. 10-17-2019 12:57 PM #8
      It amazes me that other businesses (besides gas stations) are jumping on this in a big way. If Starbucks offered this, then it would be another way to get people into their stores. What about Target, restaurant chains,...

10. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      10-17-2019 01:02 PM #9
      In Eastern Ohio, WV, and PA, Sheetz stations have taken up chargers pretty frequently. Both Tesla and CCS in some instances. As gas stations go, they're a bit "fancier" with places to sit down inside and (supposedly, I haven't tried) better than average food.

11. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-17-2019 01:06 PM #10

I think it has to be.

In Canada the overwhelming majority of the population is on or close to the southern border, which is an obvious line to follow when going east-to-west. In the U.S. there are so many more east-west routes that it's hard to figure out where the most efficient locations would be. Even if/when you do you're not serving a big chunk of the population since they don't want to necessarily go that way.

Ours will be a more haphazard way to get there and will take much longer, but we'll get there.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

12. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2019 01:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
      It amazes me that other businesses (besides gas stations) are jumping on this in a big way. If Starbucks offered this, then it would be another way to get people into their stores. What about Target, restaurant chains,...
      That's probably because most retail locations are located a few miles from highways, which makes it inconvenient to access on an extended drive.

Gas stations, that are already located on highway offramps really are the best spot for quick charging. But I totally understand station owners not wanting to encourage electrification.

Thing is, if electrification is meant to happen, it will, so might as well hop into the bandwagon and increase your foot traffic now...

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      10-17-2019 01:09 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Wawa is expanding to 30+ Supercharger stations, from northern NJ to Florida (I-95 corridor).
      Wawa currently lacks retail outlets in the Carolinas and Georgia, however.
      https://electrek.co/2019/08/08/tesla...rger-stations/
      I love me some Wawa, taking a Tour de Wawa down the coast would be just fine. Some Wawa lemonde here, a cream-cheese pretzel there, maybe a meatball hoagie at the third stop, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-17-2019 01:12 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I love me some Wawa, taking a Tour de Wawa down the coast would be just fine. Some Wawa lemonde here, a cream-cheese pretzel there, maybe a meatball hoagie at the third stop, etc.
      I prefer lemonade that makes your jaws hurt because it's so intense, whereas that sounds really watered down.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      10-17-2019 01:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I prefer lemonade that makes your jaws hurt because it's so intense, whereas that sounds really watered down.
      It's not watery, but it is a bit syrupy.

I'm nostalgic though, because almost every alcoholic thing I drank in college that didn't come out of a keg or a can had Wawa lemonade as its base.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

10-17-2019 01:18 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
      The two most common places I see chargers today are malls & hotels. That makes sense to me.

17. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-17-2019 01:19 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      It's not watery, but it is a bit syrupy.

I'm nostalgic though, because almost every alcoholic thing I drank in college that didn't come out of a keg or a can had Wawa lemonade as its base.
      It's a play on the name "Wawa". "Wawa lemonade" just sounds weak.

I get it. I'm all about the nostalgia.

18. 10-17-2019 01:23 PM #17
      This is good news. The Dorchester location is convenient for those of us who have to do an occasional Toronto-Windsor-Toronto run, although it will still need an EV with a range of 400+ km to get from Dorchester to Windsor and back. (I'm sure there is another fast-charger from someone else's network on that run.) Wawa to Nipigon is 365 km ... doable if you have something with 400+ km range.

This will only get better with time.

Vehicles
      '05 Jetta Wagon TDI, '07 Golf City (Sold to Dad), '16 Golf Sportwagon (Wife's)
      10-17-2019 02:15 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      This is good news. The Dorchester location is convenient for those of us who have to do an occasional Toronto-Windsor-Toronto run, although it will still need an EV with a range of 400+ km to get from Dorchester to Windsor and back. (I'm sure there is another fast-charger from someone else's network on that run.) Wawa to Nipigon is 365 km ... doable if you have something with 400+ km range.

This will only get better with time.
      There's gotta be a fast charger somewhere here in Windsor. Hell, my doctor's office has a charger for two spots.

20. 10-17-2019 04:03 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Vrucizzy View Post
      There's gotta be a fast charger somewhere here in Windsor. Hell, my doctor's office has a charger for two spots.
      Excluding Tesla Supercharger (let's assume that we are talking about non-Tesla vehicles for this), PlugShare shows no >50kW charger between London and Windsor, and the two indicated in Windsor are well off the beaten path (highway 401). I'm sure this will get sorted out soon enough, but that's the situation now.

21. 10-17-2019 04:35 PM #20
      This is a good idea, and let's all not forget that Petro Canada at the beginning of its life was actually a crown corporation (now owned by Suncor) that was originally set up to take advantage of the oil resources in Alberta.

22. Senior Member
      10-17-2019 04:35 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      In Eastern Ohio, WV, and PA, Sheetz stations have taken up chargers pretty frequently. Both Tesla and CCS in some instances. As gas stations go, they're a bit "fancier" with places to sit down inside and (supposedly, I haven't tried) better than average food.
      The sit down area, for those that have them, does make them a little nicer than many Wawa, do think there are some Wawa locations that do have sit down areas though?

The food is garbage in comparison.

Is there any single Wawa/sheetz type chain that does gas and food that spans any of the Routes across the country? East/West or North/South either one that isn't a truck stop type chain (pilot flying J etc)?

Exxons or similar can be found along highways but usually the food/mart portion is kind "local". There isn't necessarily consistent food offerings and many times if there is a sit down area it isn't where you'd expect to find a Tesla owner.

Vehicles
      '16 Soul
      10-17-2019 05:24 PM #22
      https://electrek.co/2019/09/27/gas-s...ging-stations/

Gas station removes gas pumps to make space for electric car-charging stations

They installed four high-powered 200 kW charging stations, and the drivers can sit inside the convenience store in an area with screens where they can monitor their vehicle’s charging progress.
      To be fair, the project was jointly funded by the Electric Vehicle Institute and the Maryland Energy Administration, which provided a grant of $786,000.
      Baby steps...
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

24. 10-17-2019 06:52 PM #23
      That's probably because most retail locations are located a few miles from highways, which makes it inconvenient to access on an extended drive.

Gas stations, that are already located on highway offramps really are the best spot for quick charging. But I totally understand station owners not wanting to encourage electrification.

Thing is, if electrification is meant to happen, it will, so might as well hop into the bandwagon and increase your foot traffic now...

That is where Starbucks seems like an ideal choice, they are everywhere. Any business that is convenient in that sense has a chance to become the new "gas station". By that, I mean gas stations really originated as a business selling gas (something you can't get at a typical grocery store), and other car services. They have expanded on convenience store aspects, but that came secondary. Imagining a future where gas is not a part of the car equation, then any business (ex. Starbucks) could become the go to place to "fill up" since all they have to provide in the future is electricity (not a hazardous fuel).

25. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      10-17-2019 08:07 PM #24
      Not that I know of, but in Hawaii, we can go east coast to west coast without having to recharge at all.

26. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      10-17-2019 08:14 PM #25
      Petro-Canada is installing quick charge stations throughout Canada, so you can drive from Nova Scotia to Vancouver on EV juice alone.
      So it takes two months to drive from coast to coast instead of five days?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast