The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VW boss: "We should be making more enthusiast cars"

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-17-2019 03:04 PM #1
      Tiguan GTI incoming?

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...nthusiast-cars

The first step in that plan is to take a hard look at what the automaker currently offers and what it will have in its lineup going forward. Keogh confirmed the next-generation GTI and Golf R will come to the U.S. and be built in Europe, but VW is still evaluating if the Golf and Sportwagen variants will come to our shores.

Performance SUVs are popular in the U.S. When we asked Keogh about the possibility of adding one or more performance SUVs, he said, "Golf R is a beloved car and we think we can create the same magic in some other segments." The only other segments VW has are SUVs and two sedans, the Passat and Arteon.

The GTI and Golf R powertrains could easily be dropped into the Tiguan, or even the Atlas, and work with upgraded suspension to turn either SUV into a performance variant.
      Last edited by Sporin; 10-17-2019 at 04:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

10-17-2019 03:09 PM #2
      Is it too much to ask for anything in the lineup with rear wheel drive? Or heavily rear-biased AWD? Kia's Stinger offers both and the Stinger isn't dramatically more expensive than a Golf R, for example.

4. Member
      10-17-2019 03:10 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Is it too much to ask for anything in the lineup with rear wheel drive? Or heavily rear-biased AWD? Kia's Stinger offers both and the Stinger isn't dramatically more expensive than a Golf R, for example.
      For VW? Yes.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-17-2019 03:16 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Here you go. RWD ID3.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      10-17-2019 03:48 PM #5
      I was sad when they killed the Bluesport roadster project.

A platform sharing MR car between VW and Porsche, a modern day 914, would be my preferred way get some real enthusiast cred to VW. Maybe such a thing will come to pass with the electric drive powertrains, but electric drive does nothing for me, at least for a fun car.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-17-2019 03:55 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Agreed.

Maybe such a thing will come to pass with the electric drive powertrains, but electric drive does nothing for me, at least for a fun car.
      Have you driven a fun little V like a Spark EV or even an i3 and pushed them? The Spark is giggle inducing with the way it wants to rip the front tires to shreds hen you get on the throttle hard. And the i3 has good acceleration, too but its low CG and RWD chassis make for lively handing, much like a classic sports car. It's not top-end fast, but like you say in the other thread, it's FUN at normal street speeds.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '85 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
      10-17-2019 04:00 PM #7

A platform sharing MR car between VW and Porsche, a modern day 914, would be my preferred way get some real enthusiast cred to VW. Maybe such a thing will come to pass with the electric drive powertrains, but electric drive does nothing for me, at least for a fun car.
      10 years on and it still looks fresh.

Although seeing as it used the 2.0TDI, most of these would've been bought back.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      10-17-2019 04:01 PM #8

There are reasons pretty much every cheap mid engine car died a swift death. Enthusiast credibility is worthless if it doesn't come with actual sales. This is business, not a popularity contest.

VW doesn't have much room to play with Audi acting as its ceiling. The most I would like to see is use of the 2.5 VR6 turbo. Replace the old 3.6, it's time has passed. Put this engine in the next Golf R and the current Arteon/Atlas Cross Sport. That's about all that can be done reasonably.

10. 10-17-2019 04:24 PM #9
      R-Line options across the line and bring the T-Roc (with base models starting with a $2x,xxx)
      Offer Spektrum color palette to all models (maybe not all of them being $2,500)

I doubt they'll invest in a whole new "enthusiast" model to bring to the US, so I'd just make the current lineup more "fun", with the addition of a sporty CUV.
      _/_/_/__/___/____/_____/______/_______/________/_________/__________/

Dub Cult | Simply Clean | MK3 Squad

11. 10-17-2019 04:37 PM #10
      VW is making cool stuff but the US market gets shafted, we dont get as much cool stuff. HEY VW SEND SOME COOL STUFF OUR WAY!!!
      ah WTF now?!

Vehicles
      98 Cabrio VR6-T, 13 Golf TDI
      10-17-2019 04:39 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      The most I would like to see is use of the 2.5 VR6 turbo. Replace the old 3.6, it's time has passed. Put this engine in the next Golf R and the current Arteon/Atlas Cross Sport. That's about all that can be done reasonably.
      ^^ This this this.

The 2.0turdo is the only reason I refuse to purchase a mk6/7 Golf R. They hold no excitement for me with a corporate 2.0L , regardless of tuning potential.
      -Matt

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-17-2019 05:32 PM #12
      There are reasons pretty much every cheap mid engine car died a swift death. Enthusiast credibility is worthless if it doesn't come with actual sales. This is business, not a popularity contest.

VW doesn't have much room to play with Audi acting as its ceiling. The most I would like to see is use of the 2.5 VR6 turbo. Replace the old 3.6, it's time has passed. Put this engine in the next Golf R and the current Arteon/Atlas Cross Sport. That's about all that can be done reasonably.
      Is it?

Could the new Jetta sell in enough numbers to warrant an R variant? Now that it's on MQB it should be (relatively) cheap to drop in the hardware. Unless there's something I'm missing then literally every part is already in production except for the longer rear floor section, which may or may not be in production in the A3 already if it happens to be the right length. Even if it isn't it'd be pretty easy to design and stamp out the one piece of sheet metal required. Other than that they'd just need some better seats (which should be plug-and-play) and some pizzaz parts inside and out. Even some of those could come from other cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

10-17-2019 05:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VW_RAT_VW View Post
      VW is making cool stuff but the US market gets shafted, we dont get as much cool stuff. HEY VW SEND SOME COOL STUFF OUR WAY!!!
      I can't think of any cool stuff that VW offers here either.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      10-17-2019 06:01 PM #14
      Add electric motors to the rear of the GTI making it an AWD sporty hybrid.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      10-17-2019 06:03 PM #15
      QFT. When they showed that concept it was a "shut up and take my money" moment for me. I remember hearing how it could be an R4 and a 914 too, would've been great.

10-17-2019 06:04 PM #16
      Agreed, and part of why I pointed more at the Kia Stinger as an example of an enthusiast product. As a 4/5 seat liftback sedan, it would be far easier to find buyers compared to a small 2-seat convertible. Imagine how much more exciting the Jetta GLI would be if they offered it with RWD-only and a RWD biased AWD system?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      10-17-2019 06:06 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      QFT. When they showed that concept it was a "shut up and take my money" moment for me. I remember hearing how it could be an R4 and a 914 too, would've been great.
      R4 would be amazing. I can't believe nothing below a $60k Cayman exists in the MR coupe space now. It's sad.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-17-2019 06:09 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by VW_RAT_VW View Post
      What "cool stuff" does VW offer in other markets?

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      10-17-2019 06:09 PM #19

Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium (non R-Line)
      10-17-2019 06:12 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      The new T-Roc R does 0-60 in 4.8 secs, so not too bad.

And I'd kill for a Touareg, let alone a V8 TDI

I also like the passat alltrack

22. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      10-17-2019 06:13 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      R4 would be amazing. I can't believe nothing below a $60k Cayman exists in the MR coupe space now. It's sad.
      I'm sad about it too, but it is what it is. CTK is right, they're not nearly as cost effective. I'm making up numbers here, but if you divide $1B R&D/tooling by 250k Tiguans, you get $3k each. The same $1B by 20k Cayman sales and you get $50k.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      10-17-2019 06:19 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Not sure if rhetorical, but there's a handful of non-US cars from VW, and way more engine choices.

• Euro Passat
      • Phaeton
      • Short Wheel Base Tiguan
      • UP (and UP GTI)
      • Polo (and Polo GTI)
      • Sharan
      • Amarok
      • Touareg

IMO they're mostly family cars though and not enthusiast ones; except of course the littler GTIs. Those are cool.

10-17-2019 06:24 PM #23
      Not sure if rhetorical, but there's a handful of non-US cars from VW, and way more engine choices.

• Euro Passat
      • Phaeton
      • Short Wheel Base Tiguan
      • UP (and UP GTI)
      • Polo (and Polo GTI)
      • Sharan
      • Amarok
      • Touareg

IMO they're mostly family cars though and not enthusiast ones; except of course the littler GTIs. Those are cool.
      If that's cool enthusiasts cars, then I fail to see how VW offerings in the USA aren't equally cool enthusiasts cars.

Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium (non R-Line)
      10-17-2019 06:31 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      If that's cool enthusiasts cars, then I fail to see how VW offerings in the USA aren't equally cool enthusiasts cars.
      I didn't realize they offered city cars, pickups, and enormous diesel SUVs in the US. I better get to a dealership yesterday!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      10-17-2019 06:31 PM #25
      I'm sad about it too, but it is what it is. CTK is right, they're not nearly as cost effective. I'm making up numbers here, but if you divide $1B R&D/tooling by 250k Tiguans, you get $3k each. The same $1B by 20k Cayman sales and you get $50k.
      I don't understand why a dedicated platform is needed vs taking an econobox front end and putting it behind itself... Like the MR2, x1/9, fiero, etc. of old.

Toyota is in a better position to do it but even they won't bother. MR2 coupe made with the 208 hp Camry Hybrid drivetrain and a targa for $40k could be super cool, quick enough, and get 50+ mpg at the same time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast