VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VW boss: "We should be making more enthusiast cars"

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-17-2019 11:23 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      because i would buy one used in 4 years.
      Precisely.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      10-17-2019 11:29 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Why should they? No way they’d sell enough to be worthwhile.

They already offered wagons in FWD and AWD with manuals and automatics, in “off-road” trim and regular trims... and still couldn’t sell enough of them to make it work financially. You want an R-Wagon then VW wants you shopping at Audi.

Seems like many in here actually want a GTI-esqu Tiguan so maybe that T-Roc R is the right direction.

It's funny VW wont sell the T Roc here but yet Mercedes sells the GLA and GLS and also Toyota has how many small SUV's and etc here that seem to sell fine.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      10-17-2019 11:44 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Car Problems View Post
      It's funny VW wont sell the T Roc here but yet Mercedes sells the GLA and GLS and also Toyota has how many small SUV's and etc here that seem to sell fine.
      VW will sell a different small SUV instead in North America.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      10-18-2019 07:03 AM #54
      "we need to make more enthusiast cars"

"...so lets drop some powerful powertrains into existing SUVs."

Last edited by worth_fixing; 10-18-2019 at 07:06 AM.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Slow Honda Insight
      10-18-2019 08:15 AM #55
      Do it. You wont. But you should.

I am one of the eight who would order that the day I heard about it.
      2006 Slow Honda Insight runabout
      2005 Lava Orange MazdaSpeed Miata Ours
      2013 Prius V Hers
      2007 Jeep GC CDI Ours
      2002 Ram Cummins Ours

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      10-18-2019 08:41 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Is it too much to ask for anything in the lineup with rear wheel drive? Or heavily rear-biased AWD? Kia's Stinger offers both and the Stinger isn't dramatically more expensive than a Golf R, for example.
      How well does the Kia Stinger sell?
      The Stinger only makes sense for Hyundai/Kia because the company already has an affordable-ish RWD sedan platform.
      VAG has no such thing, and with the alleged death of the sedan segment, they have no incentive to develop one.

RWD enthusiast oriented cars, in general, are having a real hard time in the US.
      Other than the perennial 3-Series, cars like the Lexus IS, Infiniti XXX, Cadillac ATS, Jag XXX, and Alfa Giulia are struggling. I can't even begin to guess how the Genesis XXX is doing.
      Even the Camaro and Mustang face challenges, while the Charger/Challenger somehow remains strong.

Modern VW simply isn't known for RWD performance, anyway. It's not in the brand's character. The GTI/R is VW's halo enthusiast vehicle. Keep making it and keep making it fast and affordable.
      Americans would much rather see the Microbus replacement or even an EV replacement for the Beetle or Thing, before yet another (failed) challenger to the 3-Series.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-18-2019 08:56 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Americans would much rather see the Microbus replacement or even an EV replacement for the Beetle or Thing, before yet another (failed) challenger to the 3-Series.
      Agreed.

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      10-18-2019 08:58 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      "They should be reproducing more parts for their enthusiast cars of years gone by"

because i would buy one used in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      "we need to make more enthusiast cars"

"...so lets drop some powerful powertrains into existing SUVs."

Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      10-18-2019 09:06 AM #59
      Can we get an emergency refresh to the Jetta's front-end, instead of "more enthusiast cars"?
      Take a look at the face of the Arteon, if you need in-house inspiration.

11. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      10-18-2019 09:17 AM #60
      VW has teased the US market with cool concepts and ROW options for far too long to give them ANY press for anything other than an actually cool vehicle launch at this point.
      The boss finally becomes self aware and realizes just how utterly brain freezingly boring VW is and it gets pages of discussion?
      Sure, whatever.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 10-18-2019 at 09:19 AM.

12. 10-18-2019 09:22 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by cpermd View Post

This is 100% true, then you'd be pursued by the 8,000 that would only buy it used.
      2015 S4
      2010 A3 2.0Tq

10-18-2019 09:45 AM #62
      Meh.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
      VW changes what they think they need to do in the US market every 5-7 years, and as a result every strategy they entertain is never fully implemented. (AND the next strategy is often directly opposite of the previous)
      If you want a fun, enthusiast VW look at 25+ year old examples.
      Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp / 1986 Golf Custom
      2019 DT Ram 5.7 16V / 2005 E-450 motor home 6.8 20V
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      10-18-2019 09:51 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by chois View Post
      If you want a fun, enthusiast VW look at 25+ year old examples.
      If you want fun, just save more $$, go straight to Porsche (new or used). Yea skip Audi too.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      10-18-2019 10:03 AM #64
      Keogh is our guy. He was instrumental in the current success Audi has had in the US the past 10 years, and is probably the main reason we are getting the new RS6 Avant.

It is a good thing he is now at VW. With him at the helm, I expect more success for VW, and that means first concentrating on the CUVs. With the Atlas and Tiguan, VW finally has some much needed cash flow in the US. Maybe add another 1 or 2 SUVs after the cross-sport and they will have the market covered. Then we can get maybe some Euro-only products down the line..

For now, so long as they continue importing the sporty Golfs I will be happy. There are a few Euro VWs I would love to own (mainly the Passat wagon and the Transporter), but at the end of the day, Golf R is my #1 pick, and we get it.
      Last edited by ZPayne; 10-18-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Vehicles
      '12 VW Golf R. '17 CR-V Sold: '12 Odyssey EX-L,'05 LGT Wagon, manual. '14 MINI Countryman S All4
      10-18-2019 10:11 AM #65
      Same here.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      10-18-2019 10:20 AM #66
      Me too, as long as it has a manual. Now that all MKVIII models will be coming from Germany I've got the slightest twinge of hope we will get the MKVIII R Variant in Canada. Canada seems to be a lot more lax than the USA in terms of getting cars certified for importation (see Nissan Micra) and I'm hoping we would adopt a "if it's good enough for Europe it's good enough for us" attitude. If that's true I'm not sure what the impediment would be to putting some on a boat and sending them over. The manual is probably a bigger long shot seeing how they never offered on in the MKVII R Variant.

Come on VW, take my money!!!

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      10-18-2019 10:23 AM #67
      Bring this concept body back, make it a VW, put the Golf R drivetrain in and call it Corrado...but fix the front styling.

Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      10-18-2019 10:25 AM #68
      Why should they? No way they’d sell enough to be worthwhile.

They already offered wagons in FWD and AWD with manuals and automatics, in “off-road” trim and regular trims... and still couldn’t sell enough of them to make it work financially. You want an R-Wagon then VW wants you shopping at Audi.

Seems like many in here actually want a GTI-esqu Tiguan so maybe that T-Roc R is the right direction.

Given the Tiguan is now a barge, this is the right answer. I saw these all over Croatia and Slovenia, neat looking little guys. 250 HP and a DCT it would probably be a riot. Or make it a gravel racer / rally type thing.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      07 GTI : 18 Atlas
      10-18-2019 10:29 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by BonusParts View Post
      ^^ This this this.

The 2.0turdo is the only reason I refuse to purchase a mk6/7 Golf R. They hold no excitement for me with a corporate 2.0L , regardless of tuning potential.
      I think the Golf R is in a 2.0T until it goes electric (no clue when that happens). Porsche is putting an I4 in $100K 918 GTS', so there's just no way they're putting either the I5 or some type of 6 in the Golf R. The R/S3 will remain in the I4 2.0T for sure until it goes electric. No way VW puts something like the 2.5 I5 in a VW - that's for the RS3. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the I5 de-tuned and put into their SUV lineups as the "bigger motor."

The 2.0T is perfect in a car the size of the R; there's no reason to put more weight on the nose of that car, and the 2.0T ha proven to be able to produce plenty of power with very easy modification - no one needs more than 400hp/400tq from a sport compact with AWD. It doesn't make cool noises like the I5 (other than DSG farts if you're into that kind of thing), but that's just how it's going to be.
      Last edited by Eye Candy White; 10-18-2019 at 10:32 AM.

21. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      10-18-2019 10:33 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      I don't understand why a dedicated platform is needed vs taking an econobox front end and putting it behind itself... Like the MR2, x1/9, fiero, etc. of old.

Toyota is in a better position to do it but even they won't bother. MR2 coupe made with the 208 hp Camry Hybrid drivetrain and a targa for $40k could be super cool, quick enough, and get 50+ mpg at the same time.
      I don't think it's a matter of the platform, but the state of the domestic market.

The x1/9 and 914 were both great cars with modest horsepower that were quicker and more efficient than their contemporaries. I'd still love something like an Opel Speedster with VW's 1.4 turbo or a Ford one liter ecoboost. (I test drove a second generation MR2 with the 2.4 liter NA engine and thought it was joyless.)

The problem I see is that the configuration is an anachronism in any market with front drive hatches. 914s and x1/9s were expensive, while Golfs weren't and could also do lots of practical things. I remember the allure of racing GT40s, 250LMs, 904s and how struck I was the first time I saw a Dino, but I'm old and so are lots of people with those same memories and who might not even be able to get in and out of cars like that.

I wish the market had greater diversity, or that there were a viable garage built industry as seen in the UK, but having everyone in at least 3,000 pounds of car festooned with airbags really works against the ideas of cheap, light, fun, simple and weird.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Vehicles
      07 GTI : 18 Atlas
      10-18-2019 10:34 AM #71
      I too would love to see this in the US, but count me as a person who would just love to see it, but not buy it. My money would still go to the hatchback; I have little use for the wagon, as I have an Atlas for family duty (much better suited), and I have no use for the boot on that thing to get me to work/gym and back.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      10-18-2019 10:47 AM #72
      Lowered SWB Tig

Important distinction. The SWB Tiguan has much more attractive external proportions.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      10-18-2019 10:50 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      For now, so long as they continue importing the sporty Golfs I will be happy.
      I really think this is the best course of action. The GTI/R are very good for what they are and have a pretty reliable market. If you want anything more they are happy to sell you an Audi or Porsche.

Vehicles
      98 Cabrio VR6-T, 13 Golf TDI
      10-18-2019 11:37 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Eye Candy White View Post
      I think the Golf R is in a 2.0T until it goes electric (no clue when that happens). Porsche is putting an I4 in $100K 918 GTS', so there's just no way they're putting either the I5 or some type of 6 in the Golf R. The R/S3 will remain in the I4 2.0T for sure until it goes electric. No way VW puts something like the 2.5 I5 in a VW - that's for the RS3. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the I5 de-tuned and put into their SUV lineups as the "bigger motor."

The 2.0T is perfect in a car the size of the R; there's no reason to put more weight on the nose of that car, and the 2.0T ha proven to be able to produce plenty of power with very easy modification - no one needs more than 400hp/400tq from a sport compact with AWD. It doesn't make cool noises like the I5 (other than DSG farts if you're into that kind of thing), but that's just how it's going to be.
      I'm suggesting to use the 2.5 TT Vr6 that exists. ( seeing as inline 5's are an audi thing and the vr6 is a VW thing it makes sense to me in that regard)

And as far as numbers are concerned, yes i'd agree the 2.0T is perfectly adequate for the golf R.
      It just isn't anything i'd be willing to spend 40k on. Too boring, they sound like ****, and for me pull absolutely ZERO heartstrings.

If the number is 300hp, I'd far rather have a small displacement turbo 6 cylinder over a 4 cylinder turbo.

Delivery matters.
      -Matt

Vehicles
      GTI
      10-18-2019 11:50 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Eye Candy White View Post
      so there's just no way they're putting either the I5 or some type of 6 in the Golf R. The R/S3 will remain in the I4 2.0T for sure until it goes electric. No way VW puts something like the 2.5 I5 in a VW - that's for the RS3. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the I5 de-tuned and put into their SUV lineups as the "bigger motor."
      I had a lengthy conversation with someone with direct ties to the head of the R line over the summer. It has to do with the internal costs that the R Line has to deal with compared to Audi. Audi's budget is much higher for the S models. So they can play around more with suspension and engine and transmission options. Where as the VW R line group has a fraction of that budget per car. That's why it's usually trim refreshes and marginal engine tuning for the R line compared to the GTI.

Also Audi has also told the head of R Line that there is now way the I5 will show up in a production Golf R. They won't allow it ever. That and with their budget limitations for the R line range they couldn't afford it either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast