VWVortex.com - Hagerty article #4. Black and white front wheel drive content.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Hagerty article #4. Black and white front wheel drive content.

10-18-2019 11:19 AM #1
      Without Vortex the world would have known less about building a Ruxton.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ours-condition

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      10-18-2019 11:36 AM #2
      Nice work on the article!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Vehicles
      17 Ram 4x4(Daily Hemi), '84 Rabbit (Slowly progressing project)
      10-18-2019 11:46 AM #3
      I never would have known what a Ruxton even was.

I don’t post a lot, but I have followed your threads regularly.

When the wife and I were visiting LA in the spring I saw this Ruxton on display at the Peterson Museum.
      I specifically took this picture because I knew what it was.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      █ ♣ █ Army

ig: @gdmonteith

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      10-18-2019 01:23 PM #4
      I loved the Ruxton thread. The Steyr, too. And the Lincoln. And the Ferrari. Oh, hell, all of them.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      Some New and Old japanese cars and a Couple New and Old Fords
      10-18-2019 02:36 PM #5
      Barry , great stuff sir !

I've gone down a rabbit hole for the last hour or so on fwd race cars from indy back in the 30's and the recent nissan lmp1 fwd debacle - i had such high hopes for that car...oh well.

Can you explain a little more or is there any video or articles explained how this fwd setup works ? I'm lost - axles connected to the crankshaft via leather faced clutches ? u joints ? Wut ? haha

This is another interesting article on these fwd oddballs

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=124746

10-18-2019 03:04 PM #6
      amazing.

8. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      10-18-2019 03:23 PM #7
      Good job on the article Barry! Car looked great, too.
      Instagram - efrie004

10-18-2019 04:21 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Kevin RS View Post
      Barry , great stuff sir !

I've gone down a rabbit hole for the last hour or so on fwd race cars from indy back in the 30's and the recent nissan lmp1 fwd debacle - i had such high hopes for that car...oh well.

Can you explain a little more or is there any video or articles explained how this fwd setup works ? I'm lost - axles connected to the crankshaft via leather faced clutches ? u joints ? Wut ? haha

This is another interesting article on these fwd oddballs

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=124746
      There's a link to the Ruxton build in the article, but I'll see if I can describe it. Unknown to me at the time what I was working with had been heavily modified as there were no original parts available.

However, I can relate an overview of how it worked.

First, envision a huge in-line 8 cylinder Continental engine, made by the Continental Motor Company; maker of all type of engines for aviation, industrial and automotive use. They only made 135 engines, blowing their boast of building 500+cars. The in-line engine was mounted directly to the differential/gearbox, but the engine faced the rear of the car, making it a true mid-engined car. It also explains the long hood. The engine ran backwards so that the output matched the standardized rotation of a singular ICE. Engine rotation reversal is used in boats on twin-prop boats so that the engines face the same way, but the screws turn in opposite directions. This makes the boat steer straight.

The differences between engines is the cam shaft and the distributor gear. The cam lobes are 180° off and the distributor drive gear has teeth that make the distributor run backwards. The timing gears are identical, but have different timing marks, a source of great grief when I found out that I had been trying to time it using wrong marks on the the right part.

If that's not weird enough envision a fairly conventional differential buried in the middle of a transmission. In an effort to move the engine as far forward, for better handling, the transmission has two gears forward of the differential and 2 behind it connected to an idler shaft the powers both sets of gears. The 10" length savings make the car more manageable that a front wheel drive Cord, or so I'm told.

The clutch is fairly conventional as is the shifting lever, except that the lever is 6 feet away from the driver. You connect to the shifter lever by means of a 6-foot shifter rod that passes through a dashboard support and a support on top of the engine. On the end of the rod is another lever that actually makes the "knob" of the shift lever move in a conventional "H" pattern. The horizontal bar has a shift knob on a 3" bend. You still grip the knob the same way and the "H" pattern movement is still the same, but a shift from 1st to 2nd requires twisting the shift shaft from left to right through neutral to second. A shift to 3rd just requires pulling the knob to the rear of the car, without twisting. A shift from 3rd to reverse would require twist left while pushing through neutral and then pulling into reverse.

Shifter rod:

Transmission/differential in front of clutch and engine.

https://oi244.photobucket.com/albums...s76c4839f.jpeg

Since the engine faced backwards the exhaust faced forward. This better shows the shifter rod attaching to the head of the engine through a guide bushing.

Note the segmented fan belt. It's the only way to install a belt. You would carry a few extra segment to put the belt back together to get you home. It passes through 2 holes in the bell housing and is driven by a pulley on the back of the clutch plate.

This was taken moments before water started pouring out of the crank seals.

This is the "front" of the engine visible through a removable firewall.

Check out this transmission. The shifter mechanism moved the gears on shafts with bronze forks. The original universals were replaced with modern units, The front wheel drives were replaces with modern front wheel drive components in vintage housings. Far less likely to grenade than the originals.

Another view of the trans. I used John Deere "Corn Head" lubricant that has nothing to do with corn. A corn head is the gear box on a harvester that has multiple types of gears for activating external shafts. It turns liquid in use, but stays stuck to the gears. I use this in all of my cars with standard steering. It doesn't drip, ever.

The front axles were welded together halves of axle shafts from different technologies. They were poorly welded and were quite crooked. Having new parts made was like commissioning art using someone else's money.

Here's a better shot of the segmented belt.

Last edited by barry2952; 10-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      10-18-2019 04:24 PM #9
      The Ruxton was a cool adventure, though I'll always be partial to the Steyr due to the goofy German design and engineering from the 30's.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      10-18-2019 10:53 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      The Ruxton was a cool adventure, though I'll always be partial to the Steyr due to the goofy German design and engineering from the 30's.
      Ditto.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      10-18-2019 11:33 PM #11
      I read the saga, back in the day...good summary article, Barry! Does the original TCL thread still have all the detail?
      The Hagerty exposure could drive traffic to the original threads!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-19-2019 08:26 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      I read the saga, back in the day...good summary article, Barry! Does the original TCL thread still have all the detail?
      I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I don’t remember the segmented belt. Did You mention it in the original thread, did I miss it or is that a failed memory?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

14. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      10-19-2019 09:15 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      vwvortex.com/1932-Ruxton-build-thread-or-quot-How-I-became-an-unwitting-restorer
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

10-19-2019 09:30 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I don’t remember the segmented belt. Did You mention it in the original thread, did I miss it or is that a failed memory?
      On this page:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...er-quot/page26