VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Car Covers

713 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  UncleJB 
#1 ·
My Camaro is beginning to show its age and I'm starting to find rust in the hatch areas. A few years ago I patched some rust in the floors but 17 years in the northeast have taken their toll (the car was my four seasons DD for about 5 or 6 years). This is my first car. My father bought me the car brand new when I was 16 years old so the car has sentimental value. I'm trying my best to keep the car around for as long as possible, but the car is deteriorating and my patience for putting up with such an uncomfortably, loud and rattly vehicle is also deteriorating.

What is also deteriorating is space in my house. I have a two car garage but no basement. One side of the garage is used for storage and as an exterior access, but the other side I have my tools and usually store my Camaro in the winter. This causes me to have to move some storage items over to empty side and makes access to my toolboxes more difficult. As such, I'm thinking of storing my Camaro outside in the driveway this year (driveway can fit at least a dozen cars, and we only have 3 in total). I'd just like some guidance on how best to do that. I've heard some people indicate that car covers destroy paint, but my paint is already pretty destroyed. Also, covers are permeable which doesn't help with the water intrusion issues.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Rule 1 with old wheels in said driveway:

See less See more
#3 ·
Covers should be reserved for inside storage only.

When used outside covers are terrible for several reasons. First if the car and cover are not absolutely spotless when installed then you have wind blowing against the cover for months on end which is then rubbing your car, it's like going through a touch car wash dry. Second they can trap moisture in just about every way that you can inspect, the inside of the car can't breath, the underside of the car doesn't dry out as quickly since it is now shaded and you can also get moisture trapped between the cover and the car itself which will likely find anywhere it can to breach seals and just add to the moisture in the car.

Store it inside, either how you have been or reorganize/revisit how your garage is setup. (throw stuff out)
Outside with no cover
or like suggested rent something off site.

#4 ·
Renting is out of the question. Car isn't worth enough to justify spending money on storage IMO. Especially at the costs around here.

Basically the answer is find a way to store the car at my parents' or at least some of my crap enough to fit it in the driveway, or else leave it outside uncovered.

Thanks, much appreciated. :beer:

#5 ·
Storage shed for the crap in your garage? Rent one of those "Pods" or MI Box things for the winter?

Know anyone in real estate well? My mom sells homes and for two winters I was able to store my MK2's in the vacant garages of a couple of her listings (obviously with the sellers blessing) as long as I shoveled after each snow storm and checked the house.

#9 ·
Plenty. I'm a real estate attorney and have a bunch of realtor contacts but with the oil leaking from every damn part of the car, I don't want to cause an issue. Good idea though :thumbup:

Honestly just park it outside and be done. Make sure to put some sort of rodent repellent in the engine bay/trunk/etc. Cars are meant to be outside, it’s not going to rust any more or less, one you get a good layer of grime on it, the paint is pretty well protected anyways. Keep the tree sap and bird poop off and it’ll be fine.
Wouldn't otherwise mind if it weren't for the water intrusion issues. It's what I used to do without thinking twice about it before I realized water was pooling in the rear hatch area. Just sucks that I can't find where it's leaking.

Is no one going to point out you got a Z28 Camaro as a 16y/o and managed to not kill yourself/the car? That’s amazing.
Came close a few times, but nothing short of a miracle. Definitely not a result of my driving abilities. The car is quite tired though as a result. We've gone through an engine rebuild, trans rebuild, a few clutches, a few rear axles and two driveshafts. I could have owned a few M3s for the money I have into this car, which is also why I make it a point to not invest any more money into it. In the end of the day, the drivetrain is the only part of the car in good condition.

#6 ·
Honestly just park it outside and be done. Make sure to put some sort of rodent repellent in the engine bay/trunk/etc. Cars are meant to be outside, it’s not going to rust any more or less, one you get a good layer of grime on it, the paint is pretty well protected anyways. Keep the tree sap and bird poop off and it’ll be fine.

#8 · (Edited)
Dude, this was my EXACT thought as I was reading this thread.

OP: you gotta get indoor storage to keep it rust free in the NE. Cover isn't going to do it.

EDIT: I love that car. They are deceptively fast with some bolt-ons, even by today's standards. I have seen stock ones dip into 12's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.