The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our New Hyundai EV

1. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      10-19-2019 11:36 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat View Post
      Just got one myself, picked it up this afternoon. $332 down, $100/month, taxes and everything included. 36/10K miles. Total of $16,500 in rebates in NY. $7,500 Fed, $7K from Hyundai, and $2K from NYS. At that price I figured it was worth a shot. My wife and I each commute about 20 miles each way. We’ll see how it goes.
      I can't believe the lease deals you guys get south of the border.

We are getting absolutely robbed up here in Canada.

The base model Ioniq EV, leased, with 332$ down, works out to 696$ monthly for 36/10k.

That includes 13K of govt incentives, because Hyundai won't give you a single penny off the price. Even if I add incentives totaling 16.5K, it still works out to 594$ per month.

Congrats to you and OP, you both got great deals

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-20-2019 06:43 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Tesla banner hanging in the garage? Sad.
      Seriously? That’s uncalled for.

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-20-2019 06:47 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Where did you find that lease deal?
      I can I find is this one:

It made me look... but at 125 miles.. it's still just barely not log enough range for my commute.
      I need probably 150 just to have a buffer/account for battery degradation.
      I can’t speak to you needing a buffer (assuming you cannot charge at work, of course). But battery degradation is really not much of an issue with EV’s that have a conditioned battery pack. Leaf’s are another matter, of course...

10-20-2019 09:29 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Also, winter will knock that 150miles down to 100.
      That would still largely work for me if I needed something to get around town with for the next 3 years. My region also only gets the $109/mo, $2500 down deal according to Hyundai.com. I checked all 4 of the Hyundai dealers in my area and two have no Ioniqs of any kind with the other two only having the regular hybrid. None has the plug-in hybrid nor full EV model. So especially with the general battery shortage going on and the fact that AZ isn't a CARB state I wouldn't bet on the $109/mo deal really being all that easy to get. Works out to about $175/month when building the signing payment in, accepting that the $2500 includes the first month's payment too. Great deal for those who can get it and an even better deal for the OP who got both a lower monthly and lower down payment.

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      10-20-2019 10:39 AM #30
      That's one hell of a price. As another Canadian mentioned above, we're getting robbed.

Congrats on purchase and full EV garage. And I like your Tesla banner!

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      10-20-2019 10:48 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      9 months ago I picked up a Honda Clarity for my wife. She was coming out of BMW i3 and never liked the Clarity. It missed the mark on what makes an EV great. It was big, well built but had short comings she didnt like. It lacked strong regen, weak seat heaters, big turning radius, not much pep, and a false range rating . We looked for another 2017 BMW i3 with the 114 mile range set up but we still find them to be pricey. This week I heard about a ridiculous lease deal. $79 a month and $999 down for a Hyundai Ioniq. It also gets 124 miles of range unlike the 28 miles the Clarity would deliver even though it was rated for 47. We're saving close to $300 a month when you factor in the lease savings, fuel savings, and our local utility credit. The Hyundai Ioniq is too cheap not to pick up.

Pros:
      • It's simple and straight forward. Just a small Hyundai sedan.
      • DC Fast Charging if needed.
      • Varying levels of regen that can be fixed to driving modes.
      • Dashboard charge lights
      • Not enough time with it yet but everyone says it gets more than the rated range.
      • Hatchback opening.
      • Price!

Cons:
      • It's a basic Hyundai sedan. Not too exciting for me.
      • The charging socket is on the back left like Tesla. I think it should be up front by the hood like other Hyundai/Kia products. Will need a longer cord unless I always back it in for the wife.
      • It's slow.
      • Basic inside. The limited models get a load of features but not for that price.
      Congrats on the deal!
      I like these, but sadly I don't fit in them; the roofline is too low and my knee clearance isn't great when I'm sitting to where I can see things like traffic lights.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      14 Boxster 12 Wrangler
      10-20-2019 02:06 PM #32
      So were you able to trade in the clarity?

9. 10-20-2019 03:00 PM #33
      LEV = Lease End Value

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      10-20-2019 04:10 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
      So were you able to trade in the clarity?
      Yup with no problem or losses. I did have them take the Hakka R3 snow tires off they Clarity bc they fit my Model 3 so that saved me a few bucks if I decide to wear those.
      Slow Car Fast

11. 10-20-2019 05:10 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Steavis View Post
      What's the LEV?

Electric cars have horrid resale value. YOu may get a surprise down payment at the lease-end.
      What does this mean? I never leased a car before. You have to pay money when the lease is over? I thought only if there is significant dings, scratches, over-mileage, etc.

Vehicles
      10-20-2019 05:24 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Passions View Post
      What does this mean? I never leased a car before. You have to pay money when the lease is over? I thought only if there is significant dings, scratches, over-mileage, etc.
      Yea no idea what Steavis is talking about. If the car is in good condition, all you have to pay is a lease end disposition fee which is usually about $350 unless you lease another car from the same OEM. Buy out price is something like $13750. If the real value is $8,000, I don't eat that difference. My BMW i3 leases were like this. Massive discounts, cheap lease, then at the end the market value was something like $17,000 while the buyout was $34k.
      Slow Car Fast

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      10-20-2019 05:38 PM #37
      Yea no idea what Steavis is talking about.
      If you've ever read any of his other posts, you would know he never knows what he is talking about. He doesn't even know how to use the quote function properly.

14. 10-20-2019 09:55 PM #38
      "What does this mean? I never leased a car before. You have to pay money when the lease is over? I thought only if there is significant dings, scratches, over-mileage, etc."

You're kidding, right?

MSRP = $40K (for example)
      Down of $4000
      Mile Limit of 10K/year
      Lease for 3 years at $199/month or $7200
      Lease end Value = $32,o00
      Dealer looks for everything they can to not justify it being worth $29,000 or you can just give them $29,000 and keep the car
      Any miles over 30K are $0.10/mile

If the lease end value is low (like it is on BEVs that are 3 years old), you're lucky to have a market value of $20K

Again if Hyundai had a money factor, it'd help a lot.

I was only asking for specifics on the lease to see if its a good deal.

Vehicles
      '18 Ioniq, '66 Stude Daytona
      10-20-2019 09:58 PM #39
      • The charging socket is on the back left like Tesla. I think it should be up front by the hood like other Hyundai/Kia products. Will need a longer cord unless I always back it in for the wife.
      That's the gas filler for HEV/PHEV; easier to use that for all three models. If the EV used the PHEV plug-in, it'd require using an EV-only larger rear piece than smaller front fender. I imagine they crunched the numbers on that and compared it to their projected take rates.
      Last edited by Vee-Dubber-GLI; 10-20-2019 at 10:00 PM.
      4/29/17: Dear Diary, Today I got Nater'd...

Vehicles
      10-21-2019 12:29 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      That's the gas filler for HEV/PHEV; easier to use that for all three models. If the EV used the PHEV plug-in, it'd require using an EV-only larger rear piece than smaller front fender. I imagine they crunched the numbers on that and compared it to their projected take rates.
      Ahhh you're totally right. I didn't even think about re-using an already hole punched body panel.

Quick 48 Hour Update:
      Steering wheel clicks when turning slightly left or right. Seems like a common problem from a quick Google search. Will need the dealer to take a look...
      Slow Car Fast

10-21-2019 01:02 AM #41
      Quick 48 Hour Update:
      Steering wheel clicks when turning slightly left or right. Seems like a common problem from a quick Google search. Will need the dealer to take a look...
      Years ago I had a Honda with that issue, but it only happened in cold weather. After a few visits, they finally took the steering wheel off and said it was the "cancel cam" for the turn signal or whatever. They replaced it and it never happened again. So it was never a safety issue, just a minor annoyance, but did get fixed. Hopefully it's as simple for your car. Alternately if it's just part of the experience, then that's possible too. I'd try not to let it bother you too much. That's part of why I like buying used cars, to be honest. I fully expect a used car to have issues, whereas the times I've gotten brand new cars you want absolutely everything to be perfect, since, of course it should be.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      10-21-2019 10:37 AM #42
      I showed that offer to my wife. She's been taking the train to her job for years but has been considering driving in. But she doesn't want to commute in her Explorer. It's piqued her interest - she would drive that to work 32 miles round trip, park in the free charging spots in the garage, and have the Explorer as a third car for her gardening.

For $84 (have to pay the sales tax), it's a deal that can't be beat.

Now to investigate insurance - we have a 20 YO away at school but because it's less that 50 miles away, she has to be on our policy. In MA, insurers put the riskiest driver on the most expensive car.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      10-21-2019 10:52 AM #43
      For that price, it would be cheaper than my wife's daily commute gas each month.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.0T, 2012 Honda Odyssey
      10-21-2019 10:57 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Steavis View Post
      "What does this mean? I never leased a car before. You have to pay money when the lease is over? I thought only if there is significant dings, scratches, over-mileage, etc."

You're kidding, right?

MSRP = $40K (for example)
      Down of $4000
      Mile Limit of 10K/year
      Lease for 3 years at $199/month or $7200
      Lease end Value = $32,o00
      Dealer looks for everything they can to not justify it being worth $29,000 or you can just give them $29,000 and keep the car
      Any miles over 30K are $0.10/mile

If the lease end value is low (like it is on BEVs that are 3 years old), you're lucky to have a market value of $20K

Again if Hyundai had a money factor, it'd help a lot.

I was only asking for specifics on the lease to see if its a good deal.
      Dealer has nothing to do with the lease. They just push paper between you and lease company that owns it. If OP got a closed lease he can just hand it back regardless of how much the car is worth on the market at lease end.

This also works in your favor if the market value is way above lease end value. This is how I ended up selling my Tundra lease and making $7500 over the buyout price since the market for those things is so hot up here given our low $.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-21-2019 11:15 AM #45
      Wow! That is quite the deal. That's about the same as when the first Fiat 500e's came out with their $79-$99 lease deals but your has two more doors.

Interested to see what it's like over the next few months.

22. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      10-21-2019 11:42 AM #46

I envy your lack of ICE. It's probably going to be a long time before I can convince my wife to ditch the Mazda. It would be a great car if it plugged in; really that's the only thing I don't like about it. But I know good options are coming in the next 5 years. Enjoy the Ioniq; I really like that color too.

23. Member
      10-21-2019 01:37 PM #47
      I can't believe that lease deal is even possible. With those numbers, it makes no sense NOT to do it!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Toyota Sienna Crossover SUV,Nissan GT-R
      10-21-2019 02:13 PM #48
      Majority of EV owners have no concept of saving money. Three year purchase and discard cycle is horrible.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-21-2019 02:29 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by driveareliablecar View Post
      Majority of EV owners have no concept of saving money. Three year purchase and discard cycle is horrible.
      Is that any different than the people who do the same thing with BMW, MB, Land Rover, Audi, etc? I don't see that as an EV only thing. The reason it's so enticing with many EVs is that the deals are so cheap and when the lease is up there's usually another cheap lease to get.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      C7 Corvette
      10-21-2019 02:44 PM #50
      crazy deal! i'm looking for one now. NONE around Pittsburgh though, nearest is a few hours away. i don't care what it drives like for $100 a month.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast