Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 20th AE Haldex swap and build

1. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI 20thAE Imola Yellow (totaled) GTI 20thAE Jazz Blue
      10-22-2019 05:44 PM #1
      2 years ago I decided to take on the project of all wheel drive swapping my 20thAE GTI while retaining the 1.8t. I figured since VW canned the R400 project Iíd shoot to make my car to the specs of what could have been or more.

When I started I was on raceland ultimos with a cut front anti-sway bar and a beefy 28mm rear Neuspeed anti-sway bar.

Then began compiling all I needed for this swap. After mentioning the idea of my swap to a few people I was pointed in the direction of someone parting out an R32. I was able to gather just about everything for the swap for a stupidly cheap price, only lacking a compatible transmission, a set of rear control arms, and suspension.

For months I was doing research and slowly cutting out spot welds .

Last winter I decided to to finally set the date to have the R32 floor pan welded in at Godspeed Fabrication.

After putting a huge dent in the wallet and biting off more than we could chew the pan was in along with all the rear bits being bolted in.

While I was there I also decided to install airlift performance suspension.
      Ran the car this way for months before I was able to install the Audi TT 02M that I traded for a set of wheels.

Over the summer I was able to install the AWD trans. What a pain that was...

While that was all apart I picked up and put in the stock R32 under axle front anti-sway bar and mocked up a spacer for the end links.

Was able to install a Neuspeed 25mm rear anti-sway bar as well. Also swapped my 3in down pipe to an Audi TTQ 180 3in catless downpipe for driveshaft clearance.

Up until this point my exhaust was just a downpipe to a resonator and a turn down pipe ending right in the middle of the car. That got old very fast it being my daily and all. About a month passed and I went to a local exhaust shop and get the rest of my exhaust fabricated.

Another few weeks go by and I was able to sneak myself into the tight schedule of the fabrication shop to have some brackets made and welded to the car. Then in went the driveshaft.

Only one little clearance issue that I still need to sort out.

For better handling I installed R32 spindles. Had to heavily modify the ball joints to make them fit the GTI control arms. That leveled the control arms and lowered the tie rod making good even lower when airing out.

And the cherry on top was the Haldex Controller. Got the controller shipped from the Netherlands. Install took about 6 hours but could be done quicker if you know what wires you need to tap into.

Car is now completely AWD and functional. The handling is a night and day difference. Basically a new car. Only a few little things to sort out. I will continue to update this thread as I go.

Thanks to those that helped and that I bugged along the way.
      .Ant, WolfsburgNate, and Mk4mo_TDI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Kionijk_JB20th; 10-22-2019 at 05:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      MK4 .:R32
      10-22-2019 06:36 PM #2
      Awesome build dude! Canít wait to see where it goes. I love seeing projects like this.

4. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-22-2019 06:45 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandaman919 View Post
      Awesome build dude! Canít wait to see where it goes. I love seeing projects like this.
      Thanks man. A lot more is on the way

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta 1.8T 4-motion, 2005 Jetta TDI
      10-23-2019 11:01 AM #4
      I love a good AWD thread, nice work!

Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 1.8T, 2017 VW Golf R MT
      10-28-2019 02:30 PM #6
      Ultimate goal!!!
      2003 GTI 1.8T Nimbus Grey GIAC Tuned
      2017 GOLF R Deep Black Pearl United Motorsports Tuned

8. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-17-2019 08:35 PM #7
      So Iím having some clearance issues with the drive shaft and the exhaust. On hard deceleration the engine and everything shifts causing the shaft to rattle on the exhaust pretty bad.

This is an early on picture when it first began to happen. Iím sure the dents are worse and itís hitting in other areas.

I hope that a stiffer dogbone mount will keep it from shifting so much. Iím looking at getting 034s solid mount.

My fuel lines in the engine bay were going bad so I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the fuel rail.

I went with 034s fuel rail kit and a fuelab adjustable pressure regulator, my tune calling for it to be set to 4bar. After ordering many AN fittings on Amazon I was able to mount the regulator in a good spot with absolutely no leaks.

My next few projects will be to replace my starter, Haldex fluid change, and fix an air leak in my front driver strut.

Vehicles
      '19 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
      12-18-2019 07:37 AM #8
      Sick. Sub'd
      MK4 Jetta '04|1.8t|m/t - Beater/Project
      8V A3 2.0t|Quattro - Wife's
      MK4 GTI '03|1.8t|m/t - Sold
      MK6 GTI - '12|m/t|FBO - Sold

10. Member
      Vehicles
      MK4 .:R32
      12-18-2019 07:48 AM #9
      Iím running the 034 solid dogbone on my R. Definitely tightens everything up but doesnít add a whole lot of vibration surprisingly.

11. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-18-2019 12:32 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandaman919 View Post
      Iím running the 034 solid dogbone on my R. Definitely tightens everything up but doesnít add a whole lot of vibration surprisingly.
      Good to know

Vehicles
      Slow Girls Car - 2005 PG Jetta 2.0
      12-20-2019 11:40 AM #11
      Good stuff.
      Instagram : @davexbro \ David Jasneski Photography \ 2.0L \ Static \ Lace Up \ Live Low Or Die \ Rochester NH GTG https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...chester-NH-GTG
      Quote Originally Posted by passattimmy View Post
      I've never owned a passat

13. 12-20-2019 02:31 PM #12
      Small tip from a guy who went trough almost the same because of a big brake kit.....

If you swapped out the control arms with tt/cupra R (basicly the cast control arms instead of the standard pressed)ones, they fit directly into the subframe, and get the ball joints for that, you only have to litterly turn around the tie rods ends

But never the less a very cool project!

14. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-20-2019 02:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by SEATVR6 View Post
      Small tip from a guy who went trough almost the same because of a big brake kit.....

If you swapped out the control arms with tt/cupra R (basicly the cast control arms instead of the standard pressed)ones, they fit directly into the subframe, and get the ball joints for that, you only have to litterly turn around the tie rods ends

But never the less a very cool project!
      I thought about getting those control arms but they would need the little nub to allow a hole to be drilled and tapped for the sway bar to be attached. Since Iím on airlift they donít allow for the sway bar to be mounted on the strut.

I thought that if I do all that work I might as well eventually go with tubular control arms. And I want to also do a tubular subframe as well

15. 12-20-2019 02:55 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Kionijk_JB20th View Post
      I thought about getting those control arms but they would need the little nub to allow a hole to be drilled and tapped for the sway bar to be attached. Since Iím on airlift they donít allow for the sway bar to be mounted on the strut.

I thought that if I do all that work I might as well eventually go with tubular control arms. And I want to also do a tubular subframe as well

Aaah that makes total sense! Not really tought of that when writing the comment since my car came with the swaybar mounted to the strut, And a full tubular frame on a MK4 that would look so bad ass when looking underneath it

16. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-20-2019 03:09 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by SEATVR6 View Post
      Aaah that makes total sense! Not really tought of that when writing the comment since my car came with the swaybar mounted to the strut, And a full tubular frame on a MK4 that would look so bad ass when looking underneath it
      Haha yess it would! So many plans, so little money

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Tornado Red 2001 VR6 Jetta
      01-03-2020 10:53 PM #16
      Subscribed.... This is what I'm going to do. Researching needed parts so I can start sourcing them.

18. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-04-2020 03:29 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 71Dubb View Post
      Subscribed.... This is what I'm going to do. Researching needed parts so I can start sourcing them.
      Nice!! Let me know if you have any questions

19. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-20-2020 05:08 AM #18
      I was able to get to replacing the Haldex fluid and the starter. Who knows how long itís been since the fluid was changed if it ever was. Only about a third of the required amount of fluid came out.

I also got around to installing the 034 Motorsports dogbone mount.

The mount did help with the driveshaft/exhaust clearance issues a little. Now it only rubs on deceleration. I did pull down the exhaust and hit the flange thatís rubbing with a grinder but I didnít remove enough.

I put aside this rubbing (which sounds god awful by the way) and went out to do what the Haldex was made for during our recent snow storm. It did amazing. I put the Haldex controller to 50/50 locked and did some skids and donuts in a parking lot until the police had to stop the fun

Vehicles
      04 VW Jetta TDI GLS, 04 RTDI
      01-24-2020 01:03 AM #19
      Awesome job on the AWD swap! I'm sure it was a blast getting to put your AWD to use in the snow. It sucks that someone more than likely called the cops on you for having some fun in the parking lot. I could understand it if you were doing damage to the property, but just doing donuts and power slides isn't hurting anything other than maybe wearing your tires down a little bit.

As far as the engine moving around, another thing you could upgrade if you haven't already is to upgrade your motor mounts to a set of Vibra Technics.
      https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/vw/...mount_mt_18_v6
      https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/vw/...ngine_mount_18

You'll have to request the competition mounts, but you can get a good deal from https://eaaengineering.com/products/...gine-mount-set

Keep up the great job and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do to the car in the future.
      Photobucket embedded image fix inserted 2/8/2018. I have VCDS and I'm in Sturgeon Bay, WI.
      Fix if you're using Chrome: photobucket-embedded image fix
      Firefox Fix: Firefox/addon/photobucket-fix
      RTDI Build Thread: RTDI-Part-2

21. Junior Member Kionijk_JB20th's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-24-2020 04:13 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
      Awesome job on the AWD swap! I'm sure it was a blast getting to put your AWD to use in the snow. It sucks that someone more than likely called the cops on you for having some fun in the parking lot. I could understand it if you were doing damage to the property, but just doing donuts and power slides isn't hurting anything other than maybe wearing your tires down a little bit.

As far as the engine moving around, another thing you could upgrade if you haven't already is to upgrade your motor mounts to a set of Vibra Technics.
      https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/vw/...mount_mt_18_v6
      https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/vw/...ngine_mount_18

You'll have to request the competition mounts, but you can get a good deal from https://eaaengineering.com/products/...gine-mount-set

Keep up the great job and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do to the car in the future.

A few weeks ago someone local was selling some VFE mounts with the delrin inserts for a really good deal that I couldnít pass up. I will keep these mounts in mind if the delrin just ends up rattling the car and my head apart haha.

But I agree with not using Poly. It doesnít last and easily shatters