2 years ago I decided to take on the project of all wheel drive swapping my 20thAE GTI while retaining the 1.8t. I figured since VW canned the R400 project Iíd shoot to make my car to the specs of what could have been or more.
When I started I was on raceland ultimos with a cut front anti-sway bar and a beefy 28mm rear Neuspeed anti-sway bar.
Then began compiling all I needed for this swap. After mentioning the idea of my swap to a few people I was pointed in the direction of someone parting out an R32. I was able to gather just about everything for the swap for a stupidly cheap price, only lacking a compatible transmission, a set of rear control arms, and suspension.
For months I was doing research and slowly cutting out spot welds .
Last winter I decided to to finally set the date to have the R32 floor pan welded in at Godspeed Fabrication.
After putting a huge dent in the wallet and biting off more than we could chew the pan was in along with all the rear bits being bolted in.
While I was there I also decided to install airlift performance suspension.
Ran the car this way for months before I was able to install the Audi TT 02M that I traded for a set of wheels.
Over the summer I was able to install the AWD trans. What a pain that was...
While that was all apart I picked up and put in the stock R32 under axle front anti-sway bar and mocked up a spacer for the end links.
Was able to install a Neuspeed 25mm rear anti-sway bar as well. Also swapped my 3in down pipe to an Audi TTQ 180 3in catless downpipe for driveshaft clearance.
Up until this point my exhaust was just a downpipe to a resonator and a turn down pipe ending right in the middle of the car. That got old very fast it being my daily and all. About a month passed and I went to a local exhaust shop and get the rest of my exhaust fabricated.
Another few weeks go by and I was able to sneak myself into the tight schedule of the fabrication shop to have some brackets made and welded to the car. Then in went the driveshaft.
Only one little clearance issue that I still need to sort out.
For better handling I installed R32 spindles. Had to heavily modify the ball joints to make them fit the GTI control arms. That leveled the control arms and lowered the tie rod making good even lower when airing out.
And the cherry on top was the Haldex Controller. Got the controller shipped from the Netherlands. Install took about 6 hours but could be done quicker if you know what wires you need to tap into.
Car is now completely AWD and functional. The handling is a night and day difference. Basically a new car. Only a few little things to sort out. I will continue to update this thread as I go.
Thanks to those that helped and that I bugged along the way.
.Ant, WolfsburgNate, and Mk4mo_TDI
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk