VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Valve Carbon Cleaning you WILL need it done

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jiffyjetta 
#1 · (Edited)
It's not a matter of if....it's you WILL need to do it. It will probably solve about 10 posts on this page alone.

Dirty hoe

Clean bitch

Also, a chemical scrape will not last as long as a walnut media blast. This is actually my second cleaning. The chemical scrape....done first, only lasted 45,000 miles

See less See more
#2 ·
Good pictures, and we were lucky because my wife's GTI didn't need it until 160k miles. Next VW we own I will invest in the equipment and do it myself. Not worth paying someone what the going rate is when it's really pretty easy. Do you have a full write-up? I think a lot of people would like to see a step by step or at least major step by major step. I bet it drives and idles 1000x better!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have recently used the chemical method via CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner. I'm sure it doesn't clean it as well as the physical method, but it's only $20 and it has fixed 98% the rough cold idling/misfire in the morning. That is the only symptom I have after 77K miles.

I plan on doing it with ever oil change from now on. If you do it often enough, it will get as clean as the physical method. There's a guy on Youtube "nates interactive" who tests out many intake cleaners on GDI engines. His intake valves are now super clean compared to when he started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.