VWVortex.com - 2019 Golf R - Prices Paid (Fall 2019)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Golf R - Prices Paid (Fall 2019)

Vehicles
      07 GTI : 18 Atlas
      10-29-2019 01:08 PM #1
      Hi R Owners!

I'm shopping for a new R given that the 2019 and MK7's are coming to an end and I'm not wild about the pics I'm seeing of the MK8 or the idea of waiting another 1-2 years for it.

My local dealer has 9 R's currently in-stock and already marked down $3,000 off MSRP. I'm curious what kinds of deals folks are getting on the leftover R's sitting on dealer lots?

I'm on the fence about jumping into one now (my MKV GTI is still quite fun), but if I could get into a new R for $5-7K off of MSRP and get decent money out of my GTI, I'd certainly consider making the change given that I've always thought I'd be jumping into an R from here.

So...WHAT PAY YOU?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-29-2019 01:35 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Eye Candy White View Post
      Hi R Owners!

I'm shopping for a new R given that the 2019 and MK7's are coming to an end and I'm not wild about the pics I'm seeing of the MK8 or the idea of waiting another 1-2 years for it.

My local dealer has 9 R's currently in-stock and already marked down $3,000 off MSRP. I'm curious what kinds of deals folks are getting on the leftover R's sitting on dealer lots?

I'm on the fence about jumping into one now (my MKV GTI is still quite fun), but if I could get into a new R for $5-7K off of MSRP and get decent money out of my GTI, I'd certainly consider making the change given that I've always thought I'd be jumping into an R from here.

So...WHAT PAY YOU?
      I payed 42,800 out the door with the tire package
      2019 White DSG

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      10-29-2019 01:48 PM #3
      Tomorrow is the last day of the month. That's huge. Dealers are always making deals at end of month to make quotas, sometimes engaging in downright unnatural acts to move metal.

I'd find the car you want, then make an offer at what you want to pay, possibly a bit lower to give you room to come up and meet them in the middle. Do it today so that they have a day to initially reject or counter-offer your low offer. When you don't bite, there's an excellent chance they'll come back to you tomorrow, wanting you to come in to get a deal done, or may just negotiate via email or phone. Personally I would avoid setting foot in the dealership until you have an acceptable deal IN WRITING from them, including a full breakdown of numbers - car price, any "required" options, dealer fees, tax & license, whatever. That way there are NO surprises when you walk in, and if they try to slip something in that you don't want, you find out in advance and tell them no, I'm not buying that "desert protection package", and if it's already done, then it's a freebie or you don't want the car. You get the idea.

At this point it's a buyer's market, especially dealing with a dealership with 9 of them on the lot, at month end. YOU have all the leverage, they have NONE. Be willing to walk, make them offer you a deal you can't refuse. Good luck!

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      10-29-2019 01:50 PM #4
      Hi R Owners!

So...WHAT PAY YOU?
      Lol, that's not going to happen.
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

7. 10-29-2019 01:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffnMan View Post
      Th max I’ve seen is 3.5k off MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      10-29-2019 02:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffnMan View Post
      Or is it? It's supply vs. demand.

Dealer has 9 R's on the lot. They're already marked down $3K. The 7R is no longer in production. I don't think it's out of the question these go to $4K, $5K or even $6K off sticker if they're still hanging around this time next month. If any sit until Jan 2020 and beyond, they're trying to sell new 2019 MYs in calendar year 2020, which I'm guessing is not a winning proposition.

I'm going to for sure watch this closely - I think there's a lot of inventory out there for once on the R.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG 2014 Porsche Cayman S
      10-29-2019 02:01 PM #7
      $40k Lapiz Blue DSG. Included some crappy monster mats as well. I think that was ~$2300-2400 off sticker.

Vehicles
      10-29-2019 02:23 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Opieopie View Post
      $40k Lapiz Blue DSG. Included some crappy monster mats as well. I think that was ~$2300-2400 off sticker.
      Thanks; was that for the car or out the door (including tax/title/fees)? I'd guess just the car.

Lapiz Blue seems to be most desirable; my dealer has 9 R's but none in blue, much to my disappointment.

11. 10-29-2019 02:28 PM #9
      Or is it? It's supply vs. demand.

Dealer has 9 R's on the lot. They're already marked down $3K. The 7R is no longer in production. I don't think it's out of the question these go to $4K, $5K or even $6K off sticker if they're still hanging around this time next month. If any sit until Jan 2020 and beyond, they're trying to sell new 2019 MYs in calendar year 2020, which I'm guessing is not a winning proposition.

I'm going to for sure watch this closely - I think there's a lot of inventory out there for once on the R.
      I’d say there’s some truth to that but also it’s an R, VWs halo car. I think they can demand whatever they want because there are a limited number of them versus GTIs.

Also, sure they have stopped production but on the flip side we won’t see a MK8 R for at least 2-3 years. I’d say if you can get one <4K under MSRP you’re doing well. Never seen anyone get more than that but that was just my research around the web.

Read that dealerships have about $1k between MSRP and invoice?

I was quoted 39,500 on a 43.1MSRP after heavy negotiations at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      10-29-2019 02:41 PM #10
      It'll be interesting to see what happens with the remaining inventory.

2020 models are arriving/already on lots for everything not Golf based, but that doesn't necessarily mean there has to be a fire sale on R's. I would assume though if they are $3K off MSRP now, that it's likely that number gets bigger for end of November, end of December, etc. until they are gone.

My dealer showed me invoice, and $3K off MSRP is definitely under invoice, but it's never clear to me if that's what the dealer actually pays for the car or if there's other mechanics at work for their compensation structure from VWOA (especially in situations like this on a margin heavy car like the R).

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      10-29-2019 02:47 PM #11
      At least here in the Bay Area, the fact that there's no R for 2020 means that dealers are back to demanding a premium. I got mine for $750 under MSRP, and people here are shocked I got that, with many still sticking to MSRP or even above.
      Currently Driving: 2019 Indium Grey R DSG - Take II (First was a lemon)
      Gone but not forgotten: 2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus / 2012 Audi A3 S-Line / 2003 Jetta 1.8T Stg. 1/ 2002 Jetta 1.8T that tried to eat a tree
      Gone and best forgotten: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with more gremlins than an 80s movie marathon

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG 2014 Porsche Cayman S
      10-29-2019 02:52 PM #12
      Thanks; was that for the car or out the door (including tax/title/fees)? I'd guess just the car.

Just the car.

I see people speculating on what the price will be and deals and so forth. Since production ended a month or so ago, there are not likely any more coming than those already here, unless their supply chain is very slow. BMW shipped my car from Germany to my dealer in 13 days. Inventory is likely to drop, and even though it is the end of the model year I just don't see VW putting incentives on these cars like they did to allow people to get $7k off sticker on GTI's.

If I had to guess I would think $4k off sticker is going to be about the "ultimate deal" people will see. Especially as inventory can dry up fast for people looking to get one of the last ones. I think if you want to beat that price, you will have to wait a couple months into 2020 and hope to find one.

But what do I know? I am just speculating too. But without incentives, you would be asking dealer to sell at a loss, and these cars have a history of selling well and at sticker. I doubt they will be convinced to just dump them that quickly.

*edit* I do see there are currently 20 new units in my metro area. That is pretty high where usually you would only see 10-15. Don't know if dealers ordered a ton when production was announced to end, or they are not selling. But there are no real advertised "deals" so they are not competing much on price either. I had to go 75 miles out of town to a rural dealer I had a relationship with to get $2,300 off sticker, but that was a month ago. The dealer 2 miles from my house was offered the chance to match and they told me to get bent, and offered $400 off. YRMV.

There is one blue one left, then about 40% black ones, 40% grey, and a couple white ones where I live.
      Last edited by Opieopie; 10-29-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Vehicles
      Lapiz Blue Mk7.5 .:R
      10-29-2019 03:22 PM #13
      Definitely don't think my case really counts towards the general public discounts......

but I found a 19' Lapiz Blue R some 200 miles away from where I'm at and was discounted to around $36k. Was curious as to why, so called and spoke with someone and turns out a lot tech hit the car with another, and they had to file a claim for it and get it repaired. Thought "Hm, so it has a carfax history already, oh well that's a good price, and only minor remnants of the incident noticeable."

For fun, thought I'd go to a local dealer that had a 19' Lapiz Blue and see if they'd price match (keep in mind, there was no incident explanation on the dealer's page at all, and that dealer was closed on Sundays).... Well it turns out that it's up to the manager on if they want to price match another dealership, and with it being a really busy day anyways, I'm assuming he didn't look at how much of a discount it was, so I picked mine up that day before they could double check their numbers and realize the other car was damaged.

Long story short, $36k + tax, title, reg, so around $40 out the door

Vehicles
      '19 Golf R, Iridium Gray, 7sp DSG, NAV/DCC Previous: '16 Golf R LSG 6MT DCC/NAV DAP
      10-29-2019 03:43 PM #14
      $40k for DSG, cargo net and cargo mat/blocks options. And very fair value on my trade. This was about 5 weeks ago.

Use cars.com to find the units in the config you want within a day's drive and see what they can do.

Watch out for places who show a great price on the new car but screw ya on your trade value. Know your numbers going in. With that avoid Lujack.
      They say there is no replacement for displacement, but to me its hard to ignore the seduction of forced induction!

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      ‘19 Indium Grey Golf R, ‘18 Tiguan SE
      10-29-2019 03:47 PM #15
      Labor Day weekend, I paid $37,000 + TT&L at a dealer in NJ. This was for an Indium Grey R with manual transmission. Dealer had 3 other R’s in inventory. There was no trade involved...straight up deal. Worked out to be $40,109 out the door.

A week later (at a different dealer in NJ), my buddy paid $38,100 for a black R with manual transmission, I don’t remember what his out the door price was. I sent him a copy of my final deal sheet so he could use it to negotiate, but the dealer he bought from couldn’t touch the price I paid. He did have a ‘16 GTI for a trade, so they played with numbers, and he came out ok.

I should add that mine had the cargo net, emergency kit, first aid kit, and the monster mats included in the price. Sticker was $41,724.
      Last edited by Jkirkon; 10-29-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Vehicles
      10-29-2019 04:55 PM #16
      cars.com suggests there are >1,000 new R's within any distance of me, and >600 within 500 miles. That feels like A LOT for this late in the 2019 model year, no?

Who else is looking to snag one at year end?

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      10-29-2019 05:00 PM #17
      cars.com suggests there are >1,000 new R's within any distance of me, and >600 within 500 miles. That feels like A LOT for this late in the 2019 model year, no?

Who else is looking to snag one at year end?
      I'm wondering if stock is high because this is the last model year for the R until the Mk8 arrives in (likely) 2 years time. So they need them to last.

I'm in Canada and the dealers around me have plenty of stock too.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      10-29-2019 05:18 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      I'm wondering if stock is high because this is the last model year for the R until the Mk8 arrives in (likely) 2 years time. So they need them to last.

I'm in Canada and the dealers around me have plenty of stock too.
      When I spoke with WVoA during my lemon buyback, I was told that a replacement car couldn't happen because they had released ALL 2019 Rs to dealers, meaning that they essentially flooded the market. Dealers have gone from having one or two each to having up to ten now. The margins on them aren't amazing, so unless they're in markets where they can drive a premium, they just want them off the lot and not taking up space for 2020s. Dealers would probably rather turn and burn their staples like Jettas, GTis, Tiguans and the like.
      Currently Driving: 2019 Indium Grey R DSG - Take II (First was a lemon)
      Gone but not forgotten: 2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus / 2012 Audi A3 S-Line / 2003 Jetta 1.8T Stg. 1/ 2002 Jetta 1.8T that tried to eat a tree
      Gone and best forgotten: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with more gremlins than an 80s movie marathon

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      10-29-2019 05:27 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
      When I spoke with WVoA during my lemon buyback, I was told that a replacement car couldn't happen because they had released ALL 2019 Rs to dealers, meaning that they essentially flooded the market. Dealers have gone from having one or two each to having up to ten now. The margins on them aren't amazing, so unless they're in markets where they can drive a premium, they just want them off the lot and not taking up space for 2020s. Dealers would probably rather turn and burn their staples like Jettas, GTis, Tiguans and the like.
      Of the 27 dealers closest to me, they had 353 in stock 3 weeks ago and have only sold 11 since then.

I'm hoping by the spring they will still have plenty of Rs taking up space and hope to snag one at a good discount.

Vehicles
      2019 R
      10-29-2019 05:55 PM #20
      Just picked up my 19' R a few nights ago. I ended up at just under 40k out the door.

Glad to be back to the VW community after such a long time. Last time I was on the vortex was well over eight years ago

-Matt

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R
      10-29-2019 11:23 PM #21
      Most dealers in the Bay Area were asking $5k over MSRP two weeks ago. I did a lot of hunting and last Tuesday I ended up getting a Lapiz Blue manual R for $3K off MSRP ($38945). Tracy was offering three DSGs up for $4K off MSRP.

I ended up at Walnut Creek and got a good deal and was out the door in about an hour, and I had a trade.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      10-30-2019 02:49 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      Of the 27 dealers closest to me, they had 353 in stock 3 weeks ago and have only sold 11 since then.
      BOOM

Now that's some very telling data.

Look guys, the bottom line is this: it's the end of the model year, there are a LOT of R's sitting around waiting for buyers that simply DO NOT EXIST. There is clearly more supply than demand. No amount of NorCal dealer delusional fantasies such as "well there's no R coming for a long time, therefore these are worth more today!" will make these cars fly off dealer lots without SUBSTANTIAL discounting, possibly with the aid of VWoA adding some "trunk money" at some point to help move them.

I have little doubt that someone really working the phones & email could come up with a $5k discount somewhere. Might have to travel a bit, but that deal is out there - today.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

25. 10-30-2019 12:23 PM #23
      I paid right around $39k before tax on my 19 DSG a few weeks back. VW flooded the market know there wasn’t going to be a 2020 R.

Vehicles
      2019 R
      10-30-2019 12:35 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      BOOM

Now that's some very telling data.

Look guys, the bottom line is this: it's the end of the model year, there are a LOT of R's sitting around waiting for buyers that simply DO NOT EXIST. There is clearly more supply than demand. No amount of NorCal dealer delusional fantasies such as "well there's no R coming for a long time, therefore these are worth more today!" will make these cars fly off dealer lots without SUBSTANTIAL discounting, possibly with the aid of VWoA adding some "trunk money" at some point to help move them.

I have little doubt that someone really working the phones & email could come up with a $5k discount somewhere. Might have to travel a bit, but that deal is out there - today.
      Pretty much this. You just have to be firm and remind the dealer that you're opening up a slot for other, newer vehicles to take that R's place. When I first walked into the dealership, I told them flat out I wasn't paying a dealer markup. When we were going back and forth, I simply told them that time was on my side since I didn't need a new car right now, and I'd be glad to come back in a few months when the car was still sitting in the warehouse and we could talk about the numbers again lol... they budged

-Matt

Vehicles
      10-30-2019 01:28 PM #25
      If VWOA steps in and offers a deal on financing (even 1.9%) and I could get $5K off MSRP, I'm definitely going to get one.

I drove both last weekend and was sort of underwhelmed by the manual, even though it still felt more fun to drive. The clutch action was incredibly springy with a high catch point, and the gearbox itself not really any smoother than my 13 year old GTI. The intrigue of the manual would be in it possibly being the last car I'd buy new with a manual, as well as likely being easier to service long term if I keep this next car for ~13 years like I have this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast